Just another season [1/2]

jRuutu

20945204-man-with-binoculars.jpg

A lot has happened since I wrote an article last time, the biggest thing is of course the regular season starting! What happened last year is only a memory now, everything started from the beginning, always exciting stuff to see what kind of starts team have to their season, how new players fit in and do the bigger teams still manage to play on a high level right away or is there perhaps some surprises and new teams that have killer start to the year?

As I´m writing this, teams have played 14 or 13 games of the new season. Looking at the European division first,  Cologne has been a positive surprise so far if you look purely the standings and compare them to last year, they are sitting at third position at the moment, but Cologne only has 9 points. That is a lot less than two of the top teams, Riga has 26 and Helsinki has 21.

Biggest negative surprise has to be Davos, they are currently 4th overall in European division with 6 points, last year Davos collected 114 points and finished 2nd overall, so season 57 has been tough for them. Last team in the group is Stockholm with 2 points. If I would have to guess right now, I would say Riga and Helsinki are in on the playoffs surely, then who is the third team is totally possible between all of three teams really, Cologne, Davos and Stockholm are in 7 points marginal, so tight battle for the the final playoff spot could go on for reminder of the season and I really hope it does, intense battle for playoff spots is exactly what any league needs.

10354867-large.jpg

Next is naturally time to move over to North-American division, some surprising starts to new year can be found over there as well. Seattle is currently first in NA division with 21 points, they have won 10 games out of 13 so far, excellent start especially when you look what kind of year they had last season, finished 4th overall and missed playoffs.

As a whole division, North-America is a lot tighter than the European, Seattle like mentioned is at 21 points, but then the last team -  Quebec is at 15 points, so we are looking at insanely tight division, that is another positive surprise to the year so far.

If we look the biggest negative surprise, it has to be Quebec with those 15 points in 14 games, not exactly the start you would expect to see from the team that won the cup last year. Season is still young and playoff spots are possible for every team over in NA, six points between the number one team and the team who is last in the standings, that promises great season for everybody involved, especially the fans cant expect to see one of the tighest seasons in long time!

More games will be played today, so standings will more than likely change to various directions - hopefully to make everything as tight as possibe, that is the best kind of regular season.

• Commissioner

Given Seattle's schedule thus far I'm not too surprised by them starting hot. The wins they have are, for the most part, games they definitely were expected to win. Not says no they aren't playing well but more games against top teams will make a big difference I think.

6 hours ago, Beketov said:

Given Seattle's schedule thus far I'm not too surprised by them starting hot. The wins they have are, for the most part, games they definitely were expected to win. Not says no they aren't playing well but more games against top teams will make a big difference I think.

I just stared at the standings :P But interesting to see how they play against the bigger teams in the future!

2 minutes ago, KGR said:

Hahahaha FUCK :que:

Boooooooooooooooooo!

• 1 month later...