Quik

Johnsson falls to Stockholm @ 12

Young Swede returns home to start VHL career

Draft.png.73166dbda9b857e1cd9c5ffb219f1732.png

Stockholm, SWEDEN - In what turned out to be the deepest draft in years, if not decades in the VHL, there were prospects aplenty vying for a spot in the vaunted top 3-5 of the draft. That type of billing is always considered a high accomplishment, even more so in a draft as loaded as the S57 VHL Entry Draft! Compared to the year prior, where there was only 7 players above the not-so fabled 100 TPE mark, this draft had 12 (TWELVE!) above that mark, with 8 players already above the VHLM's league max 175 TPE. To say there was a Sophie's choice when GMs hit the podium would - well, it wouldn't be an understatement, or even an accurate statement given what Sophie's Choice is all about - it would be safe to say that GMs had many options when calling out the name of their draftees, and nearly all prospects were pushing hard to be drafted in a historic top 5!

However, word out of Sweden is that one prospect was doing his best to tank his own draft ranking! Looking to fall to the bottom of the first round in an attempt to be drafted by a contender, rumour has it that Mats Johnsson deliberately tanked his draft ranking upon completion of his season in order to be drafted by a contender. There are facts that give credence to this theory, as Johnsson has repeatedly said he plans to win as many Continental Cups as possible during his career, and only wants to play for contenders. As well, he went over a month (September 6th - October 12th) between updating his player, value that would have seen him sit 2nd among draftees in Draft Day TPE, while also failing to complete any Point Tasks, or even posting, during the past 2+ weeks (September 25th - October 12th). Johnsson had also been quoted as hoping that Quebec (a team that would eventually go on to win the Continental Cup) would take him 10th overall.

634467426.0.jpg

For his part, Johnsson denies these rumours, stating that if anyone "had been in the Yukon locker room last season, they'd understand why I haven't had as much motivation of late. The GM disappeared, nobody would show up to team meetings, and the product on the ice suffered as a result. We just didn't get things done, and it wasn't my best showing on the ice either, failing to hit my own personal expectations offensively (Johnsson scored 18 goals and 69 assists for 87 points in 68 games, sitting 2nd in team scoring behind 1st Overall Pick Chase Keller). I just needed to get away for a couple weeks to rest and recharge, deal with some family matters, take a vacation - pretty much just get away from the rink and take care of my own life."

Whether or not Johnsson intentionally tanked his draft position, it worked, and perhaps too well for the young Swede. With GMs already wary of his agent, Quik, his absence from league activities, coupled with uncertainty over whether or not he would stay in the VHL or return to his SHL club of Frolunda, Johnsson slipped from his pre-draft ranking of a possible top-3 pick all the way to 10th, and then again right out of the first round as he would be drafted 12th Overall by the rebuilding Stockholm Vikings! A week after being drafted, Johnsson reported for Training Camp with the Vikings, and was available for comment, the following his is league mandated media availability:

cut.jpeg

MJ: I just want to lay to rest all questions of if I deliberately tanked my draft ranking! The truth is I just needed to get away for a bit. I had some personal matters that needed taking care of, and then a long-needed vacation. I figured it didn't really matter where I would be drafted, because I know what I'm capable of, and if a team takes me in the 2nd round, 3rd round, who cares? Better for them, and better for me when I join a team that has even more high-end prospects!

R1: Mats, when you declared for the VHL Draft, you stated leaving Sweden as part of your reasons why. Is it disappointing to be back in Stockholm when your goal was to see more of the world?

MJ: Ha! Have you seen the schedules of the VHL and VHLM? Last year I got to see Canada's Capitol, as well as Las Vegas! That was incredible! This year, I get to play in many more of the world's best cities, there's not much more I can ask, especially when now I get to have my family close, know my surroundings better, I'm very at home here with the Vikings already, and think it'll be very nice to play half my games in home, and seeing the world the rest of the time!

R2: But you only signed for one season. Does that mean you want out?

MJ: No, I've already spoken with Mr. Barabash, I have no plans to leave right now. For me, I like to worry about the right now, take everything one year at a time, see what's happening, and re-evaluate in the off-season. The team right now looks to be on track, building from the net out. Stopko is great, he was with me in the Yukon. Boner plays a game that compliments me well, it should be fun!

R3: Do you have any goals out there this year? Do you expect to hit a certain amount of goals or points?

MJ: Yes, I do. I'm not going to put them out there for you guys to quote back at me later, but I do know what I'm capable of, and have an idea of what I want to accomplish on the ice. The biggest thing is I want to show everyone else what I can do. Teams like Davos and New York passed on my how many times? I think 3 each? So, you know, that's a little motivation too.

R2: You stated before that Yukon's locker-room was a bit of a dark place to be, can you elaborate?

MJ: I don't want to get too into detail, but it was kind of a mess with LaFlamme disappearing before the season even started. We started off poorly, not even playing the first few games, and then it just snowballed. Eventually guys were just showing up for themselves, and it just wasn't a fun place to be. You'd go weeks between saying 2 words to someone else, and it definitely sapped you.

R1: Can you see that happening in a Stockholm locker room that seems to be quite small right now?

MJ: It could happen in any locker room. But from what I've seen here, us new guys seem to get along well, we know what we're signed up for, and I don't see it being a problem here like it was in Yukon, where we had some high expectations entering the season.

R3: You make the comparison of expectations, do you expect a losing season in Stockholm?

MJ: It's not that I expect a losing season, I know the other guys, as well as myself, plan to do everything we can to be better than the team was last season. There's obviously some very strong teams in the league, and in our division, and right now our job is to just get better every day and hopefully by the end of the season, be improved as individuals and as a group.

** 1274 words, claiming doubles (donation) for this week, and regular for next week.

Edited by Quik

1 minute ago, KGR said:

I meant you said that you won the draft, but I think NY did lol

You'd have to compare the players I guess when it's all over. I think I made out better.

9 minutes ago, Bushito said:

You'd have to compare the players I guess when it's all over. I think I made out better.

The only way you could consider you coming out on top, is the fact you had to draft your goalie compared to STZ being placed on NY.

8 minutes ago, KGR said:

The only way you could consider you coming out on top, is the fact you had to draft your goalie compared to STZ being placed on NY.

Yeah STZ's goalie wasn't in the draft, so look at the big three for each team

2. :nya:  NEW YORK AMERICANS: Casey Jones, TPE: 186

8. :nya: NEW YORK AMERICANS (From Riga)Colton Rayne, TPE: 116

11. :nya:  NEW YORK AMERICANS: Launchpad McQuack, TPE: 111

3. :sto:  STOCKHOLM VIKINGSBonér, TPE: 225

12. :sto:  STOCKHOLM VIKINGSMats Johnsson, TPE: 181

18. :sto:  STOCKHOLM VIKINGS (From Riga)Norris Kensington, TPE: 310

Plus I added @Beerfridge who will be a solid slow burner for us. If you want to Use STZs goalie I'll use the fact I'll have a 200 TPE Center coming in next season

Edited by Bushito

50 minutes ago, Bushito said:

Yeah STZ's goalie wasn't in the draft, so look at the big three for each team

2. :nya:  NEW YORK AMERICANS: Casey Jones, TPE: 186

8. :nya: NEW YORK AMERICANS (From Riga)Colton Rayne, TPE: 116

11. :nya:  NEW YORK AMERICANS: Launchpad McQuack, TPE: 111

3. :sto:  STOCKHOLM VIKINGSBonér, TPE: 225

12. :sto:  STOCKHOLM VIKINGSMats Johnsson, TPE: 181

18. :sto:  STOCKHOLM VIKINGS (From Riga)Norris Kensington, TPE: 310

Plus I added @Beerfridge who will be a solid slow burner for us. If you want to Use STZs goalie I'll use the fact I'll have a 200 TPE Center coming in next season

Stopko has 310 TPE already?