Claimed: The joy of a pointless league [1/2]

AlphaHawken

I’m going to start off by saying that this article isn't going to focus on the VHL as if it was real. I'm not going to be discussing stats, up and coming players, or even the recent VHLM dispersal draft. The VHL is fictional. The league isn't real, nor the games, or even the players. The VHL as we know it is a fictional entity hosted on an internet forum. The only thing real about it is the community, its members, and the (simulated) stats that their creations produce. If none of this is ultimately real besides those who support it the question many will ask is, isn't all this pointless? In the utilitarian sense of pointlessness, the VHL is in fact pointless. None of us are making any money off this. Some of us may in fact be losing money due to our participation and loss of productivity. And while this may be true I still say there is inherent value in the VHL that casual onlooker might not notice.

I gave up playing hockey after the 8th grade knowing I would never be able to make the high school team. I'm currently writing this as college freshman nearly halfway through my first semester and I still miss playing the game every day. As nearly every other kid that played hockey I dreamed of playing college and eventually NHL hockey. Also like many of those who played hockey growing up but were  just not good enough to play in the higher levels I came to realize that I would never achieve those dreams. I would continue into freshman year of high school trying not to pay attention to our school team knowing old teammates would be  living out a part of my own dream I wouldn't get to experiece. While I began to grow out of this childish behavior I found myself wishing more than ever that I could achieve these dreams while still accepting that I never would.  Until recently I thought would never feel the joy of the game again, but it only took one link to change that.

I discovered the VHL a couple of months into my last summer break before college. I saw a post advertising this forum on the r/wildhockey subreddit. I was blown away by how well developed everything was thought out. From designing players, simulating games, and gaining experience everything just seemed so right. I hadn't felt such joy for something fictional since finishing the entirety of the Wheel of Times series. While not being able to truly and accurately portray a professional hockey league to a T I was still able to live a little part of that dream I had since I was a kid. I'm not going to say that the VHL solved some huge hole in my life but it was able to bring me a bit of joy I haven't had since I quit hockey. Obviously I can't this is true 100% for any other members on this forum but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some share a similar story. This ability to live a smaller part of the dream is why I joined the VHL. This is why the VHL isn’t completely pointless. Long live the VHL.

Dear graders and mods,

If there is a better place to put this in I would be happy to move it.

Sincerely,

AlphaHawken

This is great dude.

It spoke to me on a very personal level.

A. I too stopped playing hockey before high school, a mix of my not so great skating ability and a couple concussions lead me to not going out for the high school team. It wasn't until I got to college that I started playing again.  Unfortunately in my second year I got tripped up from behind and slid feet first into the boards.  My right skate stuck in the boards and I crumpled down on my right leg.  Tore everything, my hip popped out for a second, broke a few toes. I haven't played organized hockey since and I miss the game profusely.  Luckily a friend of mine has expressed interest in learning to play and We're shooting for joining a starter mens league next winter.

B. Tai'Shar Wetlander.

But seriously dude, check out if your college has a club team.  usually there are a few low level guys/beginners that are on the team so you wont feel out of place.  Also look into local floor hockey leagues or things like that.  Never give up on the game, cause you'll just keep wanting it more and more.

Edited by Spade18

Review

This was a great read considering I too have not played real hockey in my life. I have played just some pick up games but never organized despite being Canadian. I love hockey so I love the VHL as it does let me 'play' hockey and the community is great as well. VHL will always be my first love when it comes to sim leagues.

• Corco changed the title to Claimed: The joy of a pointless league [1/2]