Do Your Real Life Family/Friends Know You VHL?

eaglesfan036

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:07 PM, JardyB10 said:

This, only he did join for a season or two back in S17 or something.

Unlike other people I HAVE actually actively hid the VHL all these years. There's been occasions where I've had to fess up to various people (my brothers, my ex) because I was acting so damn sketchy sometimes, but they quickly forgot after. I grew up in a redneck small town where doing distinctly different/nerdy/outcast things was basically a social death sentence. You didn't want to be known as the kid who watches anime or reads comics or anything else nerdy  or (in hindsight) ridiculously inoffensive things like that. Basically you liked things like partying, hockey, farming, being outside, etc. or you were a fucking weirdo. It's not that if you played video games you were weird, but if that was openly your MAIN thing, you kind of were. It's kinda fucked up in hindsight, but blending in was definitely the right play.

But to this day I still have hangups with admitting to people that I really enjoy certain video games even, never mind something like the VHL, or even DnD. But there's no stigma in my main friend circle, and it's dropping in the broader circles now too, so I don't as much feel the need to hide it anymore. Like Austin, I certainly won't actively volunteer that info, and I probably still will never podcast in front of anyone, but I'd be less ashamed to tell people I do this now. Pretty much everyone knows I play DnD now anyway (although I only picked that up this year).

Farming as social activity: doesn't relate at all. In any social group I've been in, even D+D would be more acceptable than to actively enjoy farming for social reasons. It's just a complete difference in culture between a guy living near a fairly major city (near enough that if Pittsburgh operated its neighboring areas the same way as any other major city, I'd be considered "in the city" but we have weird districting where practically nothing is considered Pittsburgh) and a guy in a more rural area.

As for the question in the OP: yes. My girlfriend knows (although I was already declining in activity when we first began) and my mom knows (although I doubt she has a clue what I mean by it - but back when I was GMing I'd tell her I had to be by the computer X time to Y time because I had a draft, so they'd leave food out etc). My dad knew in the same capacity as my mom knows - obviously I can't say he knows in the present tense.

I also sit and watch FIFA Career Mode videos right in front of them, so it's not exactly a secret I'm a nerd. My sister had a nerd wedding cake (her husband wanted it Batman themed, they compromised to just do the topper), my girlfriend is super into true crime shows and horror movies, my mom has been to more comic cons than I have, my new nephew has a Star Wars and Harry Potter themed bedroom, so yeah. My sports nerd side might be the LEAST nerd in the family (that said I'm also a Final Fantasy and Skyrim nerd).

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My wife knows and sometimes plays wow with myself and Acydburn. My brothers and sisters know about it but not all the details, I explain it and they are super supportive as long as I'm having fun, doesn't mean they care about where I got drafted. My wife was excited I got 2nd overall though, or at least she was excited for me since I cared. My parents don't know but that has more to do with it not coming up naturally. I have talked about it in passing to a couple coworkers more as something I do than all the details. I think in todays age everyone has their things they like to do and everyone already knows I'm a super nerd, so no one is surprised, but that doesn't mean I could probably get them to join.