Do Your Real Life Family/Friends Know You VHL?

eaglesfan036

I think this discussion may have come up somewhere before, but I figured I'd ask anyway for fun.

My dad is weird and stalks everything I do on facebook and stuff. So apparently one day he googled my name and found @Devise's article to GM Austin Gow saying fuck the process and everything and asked me what that was. He knows me and @Fire Hakstol are in some kind of hockey sim league, and he always calls the VHL  the KHL. I also have had to explain to people before "No I can't do x at this time because I have to attend a fake draft for a hockey simulation league"

As for everyone else, some of my friends from college have seen me on here and ask what it is, I just tell them it's a hockey sim league and they call me a nerd. 

7 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

I think this discussion may have come up somewhere before, but I figured I'd ask anyway for fun.

My dad is weird and stalks everything I do on facebook and stuff. So apparently one day he googled my name and found @Devise's article to GM Austin Gow saying fuck the process and everything and asked me what that was. He knows me and @Fire Hakstol are in some kind of hockey sim league, and he always calls the VHL  the KHL. I also have had to explain to people before "No I can't do x at this time because I have to attend a fake draft for a hockey simulation league"

As for everyone else, some of my friends from college have seen me on here and ask what it is, I just tell them it's a hockey sim league and they call me a nerd. 

All of the above relate

13 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

they call me a nerd. 

Really? Still? Odd. Honestly like everyone I know close enough in real life knows I'm in a sim league and has for a while. I've been super up front about using my real name and other things of that regard. Never felt like something to hide for me. It's no less nerdy than fantasy football, or DnD, or a litany of other equally popular nerdy things. Next time someone calls you nerdy for using VHL, you should ask them what type of mobile games they play. Because at least your involved in something social that has give and take, a sense of reward and purpose. Sure it's still all fake. But the amount of people that waste their souls to things stupid things like Candy Crush is high, and that thing is a soul sucker disguised as a "game". 

1 minute ago, Devise said:

Really? Still? Odd. Honestly like everyone I know close enough in real life knows I'm in a sim league and has for a while. I've been super up front about using my real name and other things of that regard. Never felt like something to hide for me. It's no less nerdy than fantasy football, or DnD, or a litany of other equally popular nerdy things. Next time someone calls you nerdy for using VHL, you should ask them what type of mobile games they play. Because at least your involved in something social that has give and take, a sense of reward and purpose. Sure it's still all fake. But the amount of people that waste their souls to things stupid things like Candy Crush is high, and that thing is a soul sucker disguised as a "game". 

I don't actively try to hide it, if someone sees me on here and asks what I'm doing I'll explain, I just don't actively go around telling my friends "yo man wranglers got 1st overall tonight leggo." And honestly, I thought the VHL was a stupid nerdy idea when it was first explained to me too. I'm not offended by it, it does take a special kind of person to enjoy here :3

28 minutes ago, Bring Back Chat said:

And honestly, I thought the VHL was a stupid nerdy idea when it was first explained to me too. I'm not offended by it, it does take a special kind of person to enjoy here :3

Not disputing that. Only pointing out that when you have that perspective, and note I had it too, it's because we were all more ignorant people. The more you understand anything, any time of recreational time investment that anybody does the more you realize it takes a special kind to enjoy it anywhere. Everyone has their own things. All of them have things about them that some people would find weird, strange, or unusual. 

As a sports guy for example, it's easy to forget that sports are sometimes stupid and silly in ways that fans of them just accept. Those who enjoy zero sports, at all, will point out things about them that you can directly compare to any "nerdy" or other thing, especially as it relates to fandom and communities. Ergo the rise of nerd culture, because more and more people are just recognizing that everyone is weird and fucking strange in their own unique ways. Also that is kinda cool. :P 

• Commissioner

My wife knows about it, thoughnot too many details. A couple of friends that I tried to recruit over the years do as well. That's about it though.

2 hours ago, Spade18 said:

One friend knows cause i tried to get him to join too.  But he declined. 

ONLY one friend knows

This, only he did join for a season or two back in S17 or something.

Unlike other people I HAVE actually actively hid the VHL all these years. There's been occasions where I've had to fess up to various people (my brothers, my ex) because I was acting so damn sketchy sometimes, but they quickly forgot after. I grew up in a redneck small town where doing distinctly different/nerdy/outcast things was basically a social death sentence. You didn't want to be known as the kid who watches anime or reads comics or anything else nerdy  or (in hindsight) ridiculously inoffensive things like that. Basically you liked things like partying, hockey, farming, being outside, etc. or you were a fucking weirdo. It's not that if you played video games you were weird, but if that was openly your MAIN thing, you kind of were. It's kinda fucked up in hindsight, but blending in was definitely the right play.

But to this day I still have hangups with admitting to people that I really enjoy certain video games even, never mind something like the VHL, or even DnD. But there's no stigma in my main friend circle, and it's dropping in the broader circles now too, so I don't as much feel the need to hide it anymore. Like Austin, I certainly won't actively volunteer that info, and I probably still will never podcast in front of anyone, but I'd be less ashamed to tell people I do this now. Pretty much everyone knows I play DnD now anyway (although I only picked that up this year).

4 hours ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

my GF knows but thats about it. my family and friends dont really ask what I do on my laptop all day lol. but i have told the GF

That's because the kleenex in your garbage kind of tell them what you do on your laptop.

1 hour ago, punkhippie said:

Thought you don't care how people look at you LOL

Oh yeah. I really want people I work with to know I'm in a sim league. Fantasy leagues are already laughed at. I don't care what people think of me personally. Most people tend to either love me or hate me. There is no inbetween. But I do care about how people see me professionally. That's my career. 

I'm not on here enough for anyone to even ask wtf I do close to midnight on a Sunday. So I don't feel like I have to tell anyone.

7 hours ago, Bring Back Chat said:

Lmao. Well since I've been not so active since July obviously nothing has come up but before when I was on either the SHL/VHL I would literally tell friends/family and my ex that I was "Nerding the fuck out on a hockey sim league" (in a fun/goofy way, not a fuck off kinda way if you got that drift) and they would just laugh and give no comment on it. 

My girlfriend knows, but she does like Victorian England type RP shit online so nobody has any room to talk. Told a few friends from college, but never really got too in depth. Way back in the day got a few of my neighbors into the MSFL, they became big trolls in the league so that was fun. I'm pretty sure one of them came over to the early days of the VHL too, but would have no idea username or player name.