Where do we go with the VHLM [1/2]

Spade18

For those of you who participated in @Banackock's "Let us talk" piece, I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.  I touched on a few of the points I am about to discuss with my comment here.  How ever, I think that the topic should be more openly discussed rather than just a side piece to another article. 

I believe that the VHLM could benefit from a few changes. 

One of the biggest issues facing the league is the retention of new members.  As a recent member myself, I believe I can provide some valuable insight, and invite other recent active members @haffiedq @Sullvino @Exlaxchronicles @Heracles @jvd @DeathOnReddit @Confusion @Beaviss to chip in as well. (please tag anyone else I may have missed, I only went back a page or two and looked at content numbers)

This may sound a bit like a ramble, but all of my ideas kind of touch on each other, so I think it would be better to just spell everything out.  

Plain and simple, this is a hard league to break into.  The VHLM is a great idea.  One that I do not think we utilize properly. Unfortunately, as of now, it is mostly populated by members with previous players, rather than first timers. I believe this has lead many to view the VHLM in the same light as the AHL, rather than the CHL.  If we are going to get the most out of the VHLM I think there needs to be a shift to focus on development. To be perfectly honest, by the third week of having Colton Rayne, I was on the fence as to whether I wanted to commit to the league or not.  Ironically enough, it was @Taggers enthusiasm (before he went radio silent) which really kept me interested in the league.  But it took until late in the season AND a donation bonus until I was really hooked on my player, and thereby the league.  Now, I'm gonna be straight with you. I am fucking hockey mad.  Some people are christians, some people are jewish, I follow hockey.  That above all else is what kept me going.  But I am probably in the 3% of people where that will be enough for them.  If we want to attract new members and KEEP THEM, I think we need to make the VHLM a little more accessible to first timers.  I think it's great that members creating their second/third/fourth players get to keep some of their TPE coming into the VHLM, but it creates a system of haves and have nots.  When you are trying to get your footing in the league, having your player get dominated by long time members sucks.  It doesn't exactly create a feeling of being welcomed into the community.  I AM NOT trying to say the we should let everybody in with like 7504382TPE, but what I am saying is we need to give new comers more of an opportunity to compete.  That leads me into my next train of thought which is development pace.  I think the current development pace is great.  For the VHL.  THE MOST exciting thing for me in my first year was seeing my player begin to produce.  I'm not going to lie, it took 3-4 weeks in, and I had GREAT teammates.  If we're trying to get people to stay, a month is a little too long to ask them to wait for something to happen. I think we need to increase development rate for JUST the VHLM. Yes this will, over time cause a touch of inflation to the league TPE, but I'm not talking about 15 new players every year finishing their first VHLM season with 300 TPE. 

I would propose three concepts to help increase development which I think will increase interest in the league. 

• Increasing the VHLM weekly cap to 10 or 12-  This will make it feel as though your updates are worth something. Because honestly, half the time it felt like it wasn't even worth my time to update unless a rookie profile, bio, or donation was included.
  • Pre draft lottery - I think a great way to hook new members would be to have a pre draft lottery where before the VHLM draft is held, all new members are put into a lottery, 3 players are chosen at random and awarded an addition 5-10 TPE for their player. 
  • GM tasks - As I mentioned in my post on the "Let us talk" piece here (again), I believe that we should give a small modicum of power to GMs and allow them to set tasks which could be worth 1-2 TPE per week.  This will build better bonds as teammates and keep people more active in the community, while also helping to develop their player.

Let me end on this.  Do not take this as a bashing thread for the league.  I love the community we have here and am excited to see how my player develops in the league, as well as what my future holds for the league.  Also, this is straight up fun.

I hope that anyone who comes here and is against these points, is open to discussion rather than just shooting ideas down.  These may not be the ideas that help the league, but ideas arrived upon from this discussion could be the next big thing for the VHL.

Best,

Spade

Edited by Spade18

I like the first bullet - though, maybe additional ways to earn TPE should be for both the VHL and VHLM. I gets old doing the same shit week after week, season after season, player after player. A couple seasonal point tasks would be a fun idea. 

I don't like the second bullet. Sort of silly to have a random draw. Maybe give each draftee a task. Example, write a 300 word letter or scouting report for GM's to know why they should draft your player. Sort of "draft" based task or something maybe? Could be anything really.

Unsure on the 3rd one. The GM's could very easily give easy and stupid tasks to their players for the sake of winning or gaining better, stronger players. I see this being something that could be taken advantage of and therefor, may have to veto the idea. 

I came into the league with 5 or so good ideas for media spots. I wrote them, I did my one-time tasks, and now I feel like I'm regurgitating the same things that others have written 1000 times just to get my weekly TPE. It's not too hard to find something to bang out 500 words on, but it's really hard to find something you can get excited about writing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun here. (Beaviss gets some credit for keeping me interested). 

I'd suggest adding one or two more once per career activities to allow us to do more original writing and give the VHLM players a little developement boost. I'm not sure what those once pwr career pieces should be, but I'll do some brain storming and leave suggestions in this thread.

Just now, jvd said:

I came into the league with 5 or so good ideas for media spots. I wrote them, I did my one-time tasks, and now I feel like I'm regurgitating the same things that others have written 1000 times just to get my weekly TPE. It's not too hard to find something to bang out 500 words on, but it's really hard to find something you can get excited about writing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun here. (Beaviss gets some credit for keeping me interested). 

I'd suggest adding one or two more once per career activities to allow us to do more original writing and give the VHLM players a little developement boost. I'm not sure what those once pwr career pieces should be, but I'll do some brain storming and leave suggestions in this thread.

This I think to boost activity there should be a weekly 6 TPE activity that could be held by someone with that title with it being either a game or a scavenger hunt something to break the monotony. Hire someone to do it (I'll do it). Something like the trivia we did during the anniversary event would be cool.

3 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

This I think to boost activity there should be a weekly 6 TPE activity that could be held by someone with that title with it being either a game or a scavenger hunt something to break the monotony. Hire someone to do it (I'll do it). Something like the trivia we did during the anniversary event would be cool.

I'll donate $20 in your name for a TPE value of 18 capped and 35 uncapped for blowjobs. Transportation not included

We could look into adding a seasonal PT, or another task akin to Bios/Rookie Profiles for newer members, but adding too many of these little tiny PTs (like the GM PT) might just get too confusing. We're all for making the VHL[M] a more exciting place for new members, but sometimes just adding more opportunities to earn TPE doesn't make as big of a difference as we would like. These suggestions should be looked into though, at the very least.

A 6 TPE activity on top of everything else is WAY too much.. Id say even 3 EVERY week is too much. Id say maybe 1 a week with the additional of season PT's/activities. 

Also, while the focus should be on new members, it should also be on veteran ones too. 

I have an idea for a "once a career" writinf thing, but wont release it until @Beketovuts me in BOG

22 minutes ago, Frank said:

Themes like the SHL does? 

@KGR What's funny about it? Yes, like the SHL does. Wasn't aware we had to be completely the opposite of them. I'm almost 100% confident it works for them. It adds variety and honestly, it's a lot more fun to write about some of the topics they make up then the same old bullshit I've been writing for the last 3-4 players. I look on the media spot section and it's the same old members writing the same old articles season after season with small variations to the words and topics. You can only regurgitate so much. The only thing that changes is numbers and names. 

If it's funny to you @KGR, I'm curious why it is and why it isn't a good idea? I see it as giving a fun topic to members to write about to earn tpe. Something they don't need to struggle with while thinking about a topic and something they may have fun writing and reading. Nothing wrong with variety. Nothing wrong with fun and making light of writing or graphics.

Is it the same as SHL? Yes. So what..?

19 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

I was thinking scavenger hunts or stat hunting 

Members stat hunt for free already. Also, I doubt new members give a shit about stats, nor really know where to look. Sure, it'll help them maybe learn the boards but there's not much significance behind it.

Example. How many goalies to Maxwell score in S67? 

A bunch of members will look for the answers, private message "34" and then earn TPE for that. I don't see a large advantage or benefit for anyone.

6 minutes ago, Banackock said:

@KGR What's funny about it? Yes, like the SHL does. Wasn't aware we had to be completely the opposite of them. I'm almost 100% confident it works for them. It adds variety and honestly, it's a lot more fun to write about some of the topics they make up then the same old bullshit I've been writing for the last 3-4 players. I look on the media spot section and it's the same old members writing the same old articles season after season with small variations to the words and topics. You can only regurgitate so much. The only thing that changes is numbers and names. 

If it's funny to you @KGR, I'm curious why it is and why it isn't a good idea? I see it as giving a fun topic to members to write about to earn tpe. Something they don't need to struggle with while thinking about a topic and something they may have fun writing and reading. Nothing wrong with variety. Nothing wrong with fun and making light of writing or graphics.

Is it the same as SHL? Yes. So what..?

SHL is SHL. VHL is VHL. Leave it alone.

Just now, KGR said:

SHL is SHL. VHL is VHL. Leave it alone.

That makes no sense..? 

So we can't have some themed point tasks, even if it's a good idea? Simply because the SHL has it? 

@Devise @Beketov please, we have to get rid of the Hall of Fame because the SHL has a HOF. Can we also please get rid of international tournaments and drafts because the SHL has those too. We'll just have players auto onto teams. Pretty sure LR's are at the top on SHL, too. @KGR claims we can't have any similarities so please may we move them to the bottom for the sake of "SHL is SHL. VHL is VHL. Thanks.

Right now, go through the media section. You have the same bullshit over and over again. You have statistics out the ring yang because they're the easiest to do. It's the same old dry stuff over and over again. I see zero issue in having some themed point tasks to give the members some "variety" while also not having them struggle to write the same bullshit week after week. Frankly, I struggle to find different variations to write something I wrote 9 weeks ago.

What exactly is wrong with having similarities between the SHL and VHL?

You do realize, @KGR, that a large similarity we share is MEMBERS? Shall we get rid of those members because SHL is SHL, VHL is VHL?

@Banackock you are literally the dumbest person I have met dude. The VHL isn't trying to copy other leagues. We are trying to revolutionize things. The HOF remark is probably one of the dumbest things you have ever said. VHL had a HOF before SHL did, therefore why do we have to remove it? If anything they should because they copied. Point being you are saying for us to carbon copy a league when ours is different for a reason.

34 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

I was thinking scavenger hunts or stat hunting 

Those sounds like good ideas at first, but we shouldn't be looking for things that could just be copy/paste from a GM/member telling a new member the answer. We should be looking for something that would give a unique answer/experience to each member.

Just now, Corco said:

Those sounds like good ideas at first, but we shouldn't be looking for things that could just be copy/paste from a GM/member telling a new member the answer. We should be looking for something that would give a unique answer/experience to each member.

I agree but if there was a separate entity with no ties to an organization I think it could work decently 

Just now, KGR said:

@Banackock you are literally the dumbest person I have met dude. The VHL isn't trying to copy other leagues. We are trying to revolutionize things. The HOF remark is probably one of the dumbest things you have ever said. VHL had a HOF before SHL did, therefore why do we have to remove it? If anything they should because they copied. Point being you are saying for us to carbon copy a league when ours is different for a reason.

We're trying to look for ideas to improve the league and it's activity. For new and old members to enjoy the league more. I'm constantly offering up ideas that could make the league better. How does me stating "themed point tasks" make me the "dumbest person" you've ever met? You must surround yourself with only the most intelligent people (sarcasm alert).

The Hall of Fame remark was sarcasm (as was the draft etc). It was mocking your claims that we have to be 100% different. Clearly, the sarcasm in the entire paragraph went over your head and you mistook it for something literal. What ideas do you suggest that aren't currently in the SHL, GOMHL or other leagues? Weren't you the one crying about having one point task count for another one because some football league has that or something? 

I don't see how we're a carbon copy because we use one of their ideas..? lol I suppose I'm the only one who sees it as a good idea? I guess it doesn't bring activity or enjoyment to the league.

Just now, Banackock said:

We're trying to look for ideas to improve the league and it's activity. For new and old members to enjoy the league more. I'm constantly offering up ideas that could make the league better. How does me stating "themed point tasks" make me the "dumbest person" you've ever met? You must surround yourself with only the most intelligent people (sarcasm alert).

The Hall of Fame remark was sarcasm (as was the draft etc). It was mocking your claims that we have to be 100% different. Clearly, the sarcasm in the entire paragraph went over your head and you mistook it for something literal. What ideas do you suggest that aren't currently in the SHL, GOMHL or other leagues? Weren't you the one crying about having one point task count for another one because some football league has that or something? 

I don't see how we're a carbon copy because we use one of their ideas..? lol I suppose I'm the only one who sees it as a good idea? I guess it doesn't bring activity or enjoyment to the league.

Do I literally have to post here again my suggestion? Also no one was crying anything little boy.

Just now, KGR said:

Do I literally have to post here again my suggestion? Also no one was crying anything little boy.

1. No. You don't. I never asked for it. 

2. What would posting you idea do? Are you suggesting we have to do it simply because you suggested it?

Okay, you weren't crying - but did you not say that it was a good idea to do it because another league had been doing it?? Wouldn't that be copying another league?

Just now, Banackock said:

1. No. You don't. I never asked for it. 

2. What would posting you idea do? Are you suggesting we have to do it simply because you suggested it?

Okay, you weren't crying - but did you not say that it was a good idea to do it because another league had been doing it?? Wouldn't that be copying another league?

LMAO I am done. You did ask for it.