VHL 10th Anniversary Celebration!

Devise

On 7/12/2017 at 4:38 PM, Devise said:

All Time Roster Tournament
We are going to be running an all time roster tournament! Each franchise will be tasked with crafting an all-time roster consisting of 6 Forwards, 4 Defenders, and 1 Goalie. A Round Robin Style tournament held very similarly to the World Cup will commence, with TPE rewarded based on the standings in the tournament for the members on each team. Note for those with Project Two players, as this TPE is rewarded per team it is player specific. Gold, Silver and Bronze medals will be rewarded. While the All Time Roster Tournament is going on, you may submit a one time only tournament related point task as a free extra point task in that week. 

Will this use the players' TPE levels at retirement?

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Though it heavily favours current players I can't see how here is any other way. We would otherwise need he inflate their TPE realistically and update attributes which could go against the original build of the players. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

55 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

I'm making a media spot about this; it's a bit unfair to restrict roster sizes to be that small, every team is going to be basically the same (800+TPE HOFers). Every team in the league has enough historic players to field a full 20-player roster. While sure it's nice to commemorate the extremely successful members of the VHL who will have these players in the tournament, such as sterling, Victor, and Higgins, is it really in the league and best interest to have only 6 players per team; especially considering that a good amount of those players' agents are inactive, and many members of the league, especially newer members, have no idea who they are? I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the tournament, but there should be other players as well. The VHL needs both super active high TPE earners as well as semi-active lower TPE earners (in comparison to guys like Tom Slaughter, Thomas Tukio, Ethan Osborne, and Daniel Braxton) and  to stay afloat, so why not celebrate some of the latter? The tournament should feature guys like Chico Salmon, Teemu Lehtinen, and Klaus Muller as well as the ones I mentioned before.

like I said, all of the teams have enough historic players to field full 20-player rosters, so why not give some sort of requirement (x player had to play at least 2/3 season with a team to be eligible) and give more than just the elite members of the VHL the spotlight?

Edited by Corco

34 minutes ago, Corco said:

I'm making a media spot about this; it's a bit unfair to restrict roster sizes to be that small, every team is going to be basically the same (800+TPE HOFers). Every team in the league has enough historic players to field a full 20-player roster. While sure it's nice to commemorate the extremely successful members of the VHL who will have these players in the tournament, such as sterling, Victor, and Higgins, is it really in the league and best interest to have only 6 players per team; especially considering that a good amount of those players' agents are inactive, and many members of the league, especially newer members, have no idea who they are? I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the tournament, but there should be other players as well. The VHL needs both super active high TPE earners as well as semi-active lower TPE earners (in comparison to guys like Tom Slaughter, Thomas Tukio, Ethan Osborne, and Daniel Braxton) and  to stay afloat, so why not celebrate some of the latter? The tournament should feature guys like Chico Salmon, Teemu Lehtinen, and Klaus Muller as well as the ones I mentioned before.

like I said, all of the teams have enough historic players to field full 20-player rosters, so why not give some sort of requirement (x player had to play at least 2/3 season with a team to be eligible) and give more than just the elite members of the VHL the spotlight?

SUPPORT FULL ROSTERS!!!!!! IF WE CONTRACT THE VHLM WE COULD DO IT ON A REGULAR BASIS TOO END RANT LOLJK

34 minutes ago, Corco said:

Gonna vote Schmeckeldork into the Titans' all-time team

58 minutes ago, Corco said:

Because then we kill the competition out of it, plus it becomes a lot more work to add 200 players to a new sim instead of the 110 it would be with 6/4/1.  I get the idea for seeing a more diverse player base in play in the tournament, and I earnestly think we will see that. While we did not officially list the entire ruleset to the tournament, this is something that I believe @Phil was going to be taking the lead charge in setting up and running similar to some of his great times as World Cup Commish. 

I do not know for sure if we were planning on restricting the number of seasons a player had to be in the franchise, but the idea was for every team to try to actually comprise the best team possible they could out of players who spent time with and had the largest impacts on their franchise across history. There was even talk about making it so only pre Season 50 players were eligible. If we opened the floodgates to a larger roster, Quebec, Cologne hell even Stockholm have no chance. The players your talking about would probably feature third line on some of the weaker teams where as franchises like Helsinki, Toronto, NY, Davos, they could probably fill 3 full forward lines of HoF or close to HoF type players. But again the rules will be properly detailed when Phil is ready to start that thing up here. 

But the premise initially wasn't planned as a "let's all see our players in a tournament." Lots of players featured will be associated with members who aren't here anymore. The premise is work with your GM and teammates to build the best roster you can out of your franchises cream of the crop from history. Then try to beat the other franchises. TPE rewards will be there as well for the tournament standings to compensate that, as well as medals. There has been enough great players where as formatted every team should be able to ice a really competitive roster. 

Edited by Devise

50 minutes ago, Devise said:

I do not know for sure if we were planning on restricting the number of seasons a player had to be in the franchise, but the idea was for every team to try to actually comprise the best team possible they could out of players who spent time with and had the largest impacts on their franchise across history. There was even talk about making it so only pre Season 50 players were eligible. If we opened the floodgates to a larger roster, Quebec, Cologne hell even Stockholm have no chance. The players your talking about would probably feature third line on some of the weaker teams where as franchises like Helsinki, Toronto, NY, Davos, they could probably fill 3 full forward lines of HoF or close to HoF type players. But again the rules will be properly detailed when Phil is ready to start that thing up here. 

But the premise initially wasn't planned as a "let's all see our players in a tournament." Lots of players featured will be associated with members who aren't here anymore. The premise is work with your GM and teammates to build the best roster you can out of your franchises cream of the crop from history. Then try to beat the other franchises. TPE rewards will be there as well for the tournament standings to compensate that, as well as medals. There has been enough great players where as formatted every team should be able to ice a really competitive roster. 

Might make sense that a player can only play for the team he played the greatest number of seasons for then? Like, as much fun as it would be for me to see Calgary Hans Wingate face Toronto Hans Wingate, I don't think anybody else wants to see that. But I'll wait to see what Phil comes up with.

Also, if there are indeed TPE awards, can draftees without a team be randomly assigned? Or placed on a team that doesn't have as many actives like Riga or something?

12 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Might make sense that a player can only play for the team he played the greatest number of seasons for then? Like, as much fun as it would be for me to see Calgary Hans Wingate face Toronto Hans Wingate, I don't think anybody else wants to see that. But I'll wait to see what Phil comes up with.

Also, if there are indeed TPE awards, can draftees without a team be randomly assigned? Or placed on a team that doesn't have as many actives like Riga or something?

Shhh im getting wingod not toronto

22 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Yeah I imagine how it'll work is that there will be an eligible player list drawn up based on time played for franchise, impact on franchise, era etc. And then you'll probably see the odd player given priority for a certain team, such as say Hans Wingate and Thomas O'Malley for Toronto and Cologne respectively. While you could make the argument that they are all time players on Calgary and Helsinki's list, both would have priority to the teams they made either the bigger, or longer term impact on. Then if those teams pass on players that have more of an impact on all time list just due to higher player count, for sure you could see a player or two head another one provided there is an argument to be made they belong. However no repeats to my knowledge, as in there can only be one copy of a single player on any team. 

An update to the original post, The All Time Tournament will be held this off-season. We are working on rules and an overall player eligibility list so we'll have details for that released probably closer to the end of the playoffs. Thanks everyone for trying to show up and celebrate our Birthday and as always there is still more on the go here to keep earning some more TPE's.

Higgins Scavenger Hunt will also be run during the off-season, so stay tuned for details on that! 

:cheers: 

Edited by Devise

56 minutes ago, Megster said:

Did the history media spot have to be last week?  Or could we write a history one this week and get the 3 TPE?

It was originally only going to be last week, but we will be doing more stuff throughout the off-season regarding the celebration. If you missed the +3 TPE bonus for theme PT last week feel free to post that up for this week. 

6 minutes ago, BobertZ said:

Is the birthday +1...+ another 3 for both players? @Devise

Smarch will be tallying everything for all the eligible members when this thing closes later tonight. You get 1 TPE for every day you posted, and if you post in every single one you get an additional +3. He'll have exact numbers for everyone after the tallies are done. If you did all 7 days as well you will also get a free donation reward to be used for Season 56.

The donation is only one, not a donation per player. However all of the TPE gained from the memory giveaway otherwise is applicable to both players. 

Edited by Devise

1 minute ago, punkhippie said:

Think it's +1 for day 7, +3 for all 7 days, and a donation reward of your choice as the wish/gift.

Look above your post but below mine. I got my answer already. Please come again

2 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

I don't see any problem in securing myself either the first or second overall pick every year :P

That strategy eventually worked for the Oilers so you never know. 

#CologneS65CupChampions