VHLSC: S54 Draft Special Presentation

VHLSC

VHLSC.png

As we mentioned yesterday, this year the VHLSC is going without a mock-draft for the first time in quite a few seasons. However, we didn't want to leave everyone hanging in regards to evaluating this years draft thoroughly and honestly. Building the perfect player with this years crop of hopeful draftees was fun, but it certainly doesn't cure our craving for more insight. Without further adieu here is the S54 Special Draft Presentation!

Forwards.png

1315.png&w=350&h=254

FOOK YU

@tfong

Fook Yu is a complete center with a knack for shutting opponents out. Yu won't provide your team with it's main source of offence but he does have the defensive know-how to compete in multiple areas of the ice; and at a high level. Fook Yu will be a first round selection but this one will come down to need.

Projected Draft Position: 2nd-4th Overall

NHL Comparison: Patrice Bergeron

VHL Comparison: Lars Berger

5592.png&w=350&h=254

SHAWN GRETZKY

@TheLastOlympian07

Gretzky's name will surprise you because it's the best name in NHL history, but this Gretzky isn't even in the same universe as Wayne. That being said Gretzky's future in regards to VHL potential, is very high. Gretzky provides a great two-way game but not as defensive as Fook Yu is. Gretzky will be a first round selection and once again it will come down to need.

Projected Draft Position: 2nd-6th Overall

NHL Comparison: Ryan O'Reilly

VHL Comparison: Felix Zamora 

6065.png

PABLO

@Pablo

Pablo was the latest addition to the VHL Draft eligible players list because of a birth certificate issue. He was deemed eligible just last week and that just adds to deep pool this class has. Pablo has a bit of both Gretzky and Yu in his game as he tends to stay defensive more than offensive. Pablo will be a first round selection but his TPE totals are a bit lower than the previously mentioned centres.

Projected Draft Position: 4th-8th Overall

NHL Comparison: Travis Zajac

VHL Comparison: Naomi Young

3111624.png&w=350&h=254

RASK ROWE

@Rowe89

Rask Rowe is the last center we list who we see being sought after by VHL clubs. Rowe is another player with a great deal of influence in the defensive zone for his club. Rowe doesn't have strong offensive numbers and won't be counted on for much offence to start his career, but still does have a mid to high ceiling in potential. Rowe will be a second round selection in the VHL Entry Draft.

Projected Draft Position: 13th-18th Overall

NHL Comparison: Marcus Kruger

VHL Comparison: Adam Harris

5056.png&w=350&h=254

RUDOLPH SCHMECKELDORF

@Corco

Rudolph Schmeckeldorf has had less media written regarding him than any of the big draft hopeful prospects in this draft. However, Rudolph has put together quite the resume before the draft. Primarily a passer and player with great vision, Rudolph is the perfect winger to put beside a sniper down the middle. Rudolph will be a first round selection easily.

Projected Draft Position: 5th-8th Overall

NHL Comparison: Ales Hemsky

VHL Comparison: Devon Saxter

5234.png&w=350&h=254

TAKASHI FUJIMOTO

@HFD

Fujimoto is the purest scorer in this years crop of draft hopefuls. It will be interesting to see what how General Managers approach this draft knowing a very bright and talented first generation player is out there. We see Fujimoto covering a broader selection distance but we do see him going in the first round regardless.

Projected Draft Position: 6th-10th Overall

NHL Comparison: Kyle Palmieri

VHL Comparison: Evgeni Fyodorov

3042044.png&w=350&h=254

VERNER REINHOLDT

@Devise

Verner Reinholdt should go in the first round pretty easily but this might be the player who is largely moved around because of what other teams do. Need will obviously play a factor but we see Reinholdt's position largely depend on what other General Managers are looking for in their lineup. Verne provides a great set-up man much like Schmeckeldorf.

Projected Draft Position: 5th-11th Overall

NHL Comparison: James Neal

VHL Comparison: Matthew Gunnarson

2563021.png&w=350&h=254

SLAVA ALEKSEI

@Tyler

Aleksei's ceiling isn't as high as the other prospects but he does pose an intriguing draft storyline as his agent does have a history in the VHL with some talented players. We see Aleksei being drafted by an older GM who knows a little bit about the agency employed by Slava, so that a fire can be lit under his ass. Aleksei looks to be a second round selection. Slava is purely an offensive forward.

Projected Draft Position: 12th-16th Overall

NHL Comparison: Sam Gagner

VHL Comparison: Syd Drayson

Defense.png

2956552.png&w=350&h=254

ALEKSEI FEDEROV

@Banackock

Federov is a pure shutdown defensemen. This is an easy selection for whatever team is looking for that number two defensemen who provides your goalie with a best friend. It's very very likely that Federov could go early but if the run on forwards happens early, this could be a first round steal in the second half of that round.

Projected Draft Position: 3rd-7th Overall

NHL Comparison: Karl Alzner

VHL Comparison: Kyle McLeod

5528.png&w=350&h=254

HUDSON ABBOTT

@Bushito

Abbott is the closest thing to a power play quarterback that this draft class carries. A booming shot from the point combined with smooth skating and good passing vision. The ceiling is high on Abbott, but whether his agency can commit seems to be the pre-draft worry. We see Abbott going in the first round but some General Managers might be scared by the pre-draft talk.

Projected Draft Position: 5th-9th Overall

NHL Comparison: Ryan Ellis

VHL Comparison: Nic Riopel

182.png&w=350&h=254

JON SNOW

@ChiefNoka4

Jon Show doesn't know anything is what the pre-draft talk has whispered. We think otherwise as his hockey skill is definitely there and because of that we see him going in the second round. Snow brings a solid two-way game at the blueline but won't always show up on the scoresheet.

Projected Draft Position: 12th-14th Overall

NHL Comparison: Justin Braun

VHL Comparison: Jonathan Slade

5987.png

LUCA VOLKOV

@Kyle

Volkov's agency has a history of pumping out solid players. Whether Volkov is fully committed or not is still a question that General Managers are asking themselves. If Luca can piece it all together he will have a solid career as a depth defender. We see him getting selected in the second round.

Projected Draft Position: 14th-17th Overall

NHL Comparison: Ben Hutton

VHL Comparison: Andreas Nilstrom

Goalies.png

3816.png

TORSTEIN IRONSIDE

@DollarAndADream

Ironside's ceiling is so high that teams will be chomping at the bit to grab him. Unfortunately for other teams it looks as though Ironside may not be available to every team by the time they step up to the podium. Ironside has a flair to his game and can be a franchise goaltender for years to come. We see Torstein being selected early in the first round.

Projected Draft Position: 1st-4th Overall

NHL Comparison: Cam Ward

VHL Comparison: Joey Clarence

5436.png&w=350&h=254

MARKUS KING

@Kendrick

Markus King is the number one prospect on the latest draft rankings but that doesn't mean he is a sure fire bet to go first overall. Toronto will dictate how this draft will go and King could be selected first or he could fall. His game has a lot of finely tuned aspects to it and he could also be a franchise goaltender of the future.

Projected Draft Position: 1st-5th Overall

NHL Comparison: Jonathan Quick

VHL Comparison: Benjamin Glover

6747.png

VERNON VON AXELBERRY

@BobertZ

Von Axelberry is an intriguing prospect because once again his agent wishes to go outside of the first round. It doesn't really fool any General Managers because they don't really attend to wants from player sin that regard. Vernon is the third best goaltender in the draft but he will provide good depth for any team looking to platoon their net minders in the future.

Projected Draft Position: 5th-11th Overall

NHL Comparison: Jacob Markstrom

VHL Comparison: Drew Barclay

*All players who updated within the past two weeks were included in this presentation. Anyone who didn't update is obviously not active and therefore the VHLSC doesn't have a proper reading on their potential future.

23 minutes ago, Rowe89 said:

Great writing on the rookies but I must say, that profile picture of my player creeps me the fuck out. Please switch it to someone without a blonde comb over and less guilty of murder. :lol:

You should post more I like you. 

25 minutes ago, Rowe89 said:

Great writing on the rookies but I must say, that profile picture of my player creeps me the fuck out. Please switch it to someone without a blonde comb over and less guilty of murder. :lol:

Haha that's Dennis Rasmussen. He is a good player actually

1 hour ago, Kendrick said:

Haha that's Dennis Rasmussen. He is a good player actually

I don't know who he is and im not questioning his skills as a hockey player. That doesn't stop that upsetting feeling I have when I look at his face.

Edited by Rowe89

4 hours ago, Kendrick said:

I mean, I do live in Vancouver haha

How's that new mall? Bringing your neighbourhood much needed local visitors instead of people passing by going to the ferries and the States? Think you need to be given a reality check that you don't live in Vancouver :P:P:P

11 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

How's that new mall? Bringing your neighbourhood much needed local visitors instead of people passing by going to the ferries and the States? Think you need to be given a reality check that you don't live in Vancouver :P:P:P

I moved out of that town years ago man, but thats where the bulk of my friends still live. I've only been there once and it was to grab one of those foam muscle rollers and get out. I heard its rather empty at times because of it being in butt fuck nowhere

2 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Black Velvet the true pioneer of VHL hip hop , Pablo just a pigeon.

Nah you were writing poems and rhyming one syllable, you're the pigeon, I'am its better evolved version.