NA Semi-Finals, GM 5: Toronto vs. Calgary

JardyB10

Also @Mr. Power opinion of the four peat has changed now he really wants to be part of history and loves it, but last season you know he was hating on the three peat.

Its almost like an opinion changes based on where you personally sit or something. Ain't that just crazy. I signed a one season free agent deal because after playing with Wingate I knew I needed to go to a team with a great goalie, but there were no more 1300 TPE beasts who could dominate, so went with the best available.

Toronto wasnt an option at all because they had no goalie and @Victor was so opposed to the three peat I couldn't predict he would sign there over a week into free agency. Since the goalies were so unpredictable I only signed one season, so I could reevaluate in the off-season to give myself another fun season.

16 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Cheering? I mean nobody really saw this coming and nobody in here is doing anything but shock haha. So I don't know if I'd say cheering. 

Nobody? Were you listening to the pajodcast? I called that shit!

Just now, Higgins said:

Nope, I started listening but shut it off when @Mr. Power started bloviating about me being a cheater and conspiring against everyone in the league.

I missed all of that, I can't be held responsible! I was waiting tables and NOT MEETING @Draper EVEN THOUGH HE CLEARLY KNEW WHO I WAS!

34 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Mail me a bag of chalet sauce lays chips and you're off the hook

they're in grocery stores now. We don't even have them at the restaurant anymore.

10 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Where did you get any of that from my post? Any of it? I'm allowed to share a different opinion than you. Nowhere do I lord that opinion around highly. Want me to BOLD statements from my own post that you don't feel like reading? I state I agreed with your decision in the off-season in the sense that I thought Calgary as constructed gave you the best chance to win the Cup. I state that I don't think highly of myself enough to go out and win Cups. So the comment about me finding some winning formula? Who said I did? Where, when? Stop putting words in my mouth because somehow you think your being attacked. Your not being attacked. 

There are multiple strategies any of which could win you a Cup. But none of which guarantees you anything. I rarely have any personal success in the league and have had some team success yet you don't hear me complaining or moaning or bitching. AND NEITHER ARE YOU FOR THAT MATTER. But you act like any post that is of a different opinion is someone trying to shame you for doing what you did. You did what you did, you couldn't get the results and that sucks. Just like I'm sure it's going to suck when NY competes and doesn't get it done, or for any team. But it's not like you've won ZERO cups in your tenure so don't make it out like you've had no success at all. 

And lastly, this needs to be said.  "You know one of the issues is GM's think they are so high that they can just voice their opinions on things and not have it blow up in their face." It has nothing to do with being a GM. I'VE ALWAYS STATED MY OPINION ON THIS BOARD. ALWAYS. WHETHER GM, WHETHER BOG, WHETHER A NEWB, WHETHER ON A PODCAST. I don't require anyone to like, agree or dislike my opinion. But it blowing up in my face? What blowing up? Did I ever say at any point in time that there is only one way to win a cup? No I didn't, so get off your damn soap box and start treating like this what is really happening. A bunch of people on a sim league are randomly discussing shit. The only shit talking is the attempts you CONTINUALLY try to stir up in me and I honestly get sick and tired of it, especially since all you do is play the defended wounded type acting like we harass you. Just like Higgins with his bullshit in the BoG when EVERYBODY was discussing what type of punishment. You guys treat everything like it's some collected witch hunt because sometimes people share opinions. OMG DON'T SHARE AN OPINION WITH SOMEONE ELSE, THATS BLASPHEMY! 

Speaking of opinions, how many times do we have to say that we respect you as a member before you get that we think that too? Just because we don't agree on everything doesn't mean it's an attack or a lack of respect. 

I stated PERSONALLY that I am not content with the amount of cups I have won in 52 seasons in this league (4). Now I'm not sure why my PERSONAL opinion makes you think you can straight out point out the flaws in that statement. I never acted like I had won nothing, see now you are putting words in my mouth. I strictly said that in 52 seasons I am not happy with what I've gotten out of that tenure in regards to team awards. Saying that, I also pointed out that your little idea that team loyalty has seemed to have more success is false; because in those 52 seasons I have remained loyal and signed long-term contracts and it has done shit all. You basically just stated that if someone goes out to grab cups, they think highly of themselves. That is in fact false. If someone goes out to get cups its because in this simulation, winning cups is the ultimate goal and winning them makes this fun experience worth it. However, if you aren't winning them it does get a little sour considering you put effort in and try to help the league in different capacities. I don't act like they are shaming me at all, but they haven't really hesitated to post their sour grapes about people not choosing them. That just looks bad on them. We didn't sign with a given team, who cares move past it.

You have this thinking that if someones opinion differs from yours, it's totally lacking any intelligence behind it. I won't even touch the second last paragraph because you just want to hurl insults around now.

Edited by Kendrick

7 hours ago, Higgins said:

Also @Mr. Power opinion of the four peat has changed now he really wants to be part of history and loves it, but last season you know he was hating on the three peat.

Its almost like an opinion changes based on where you personally sit or something. Ain't that just crazy. I signed a one season free agent deal because after playing with Wingate I knew I needed to go to a team with a great goalie, but there were no more 1300 TPE beasts who could dominate, so went with the best available.

Toronto wasnt an option at all because they had no goalie and @Victor was so opposed to the three peat I couldn't predict he would sign there over a week into free agency. Since the goalies were so unpredictable I only signed one season, so I could reevaluate in the off-season to give myself another fun season.

No it hasn't. Go ahead, I'm sure just like Kendrick you reduce and lie too, oh wait yes you do. Find me cheering for or against Toronto last season, go ahead....find it. All I did was react to the potential for history. I made a joke Fan590 about the apocalypse, analysed some of their players such as Molholt and Wingate. All of this was well before I was on Toronto. None it has anything to do with where I personally sit other than my own desire to see myself win, something the majority of us share. 

But here is the point I don't think you guys get. I'm not criticizing your decision to sign in Calgary. In fact I'm generally the one on casts etc that justified it more than say Chris did. Also in the case of the cast @Higgins nobody was calling you a downright cheater. Come on. Jericho asked what happened, we explained. Even your buddy @Draper called you out in the BoG thread for acting childish about the situation so come on. It was not a witch hunt, rules were broken punishment was discussed and we seemed to agree on it. Case closed. 

2 hours ago, Kendrick said:

I stated PERSONALLY that I am not content with the amount of cups I have won in 52 seasons in this league (4). Now I'm not sure why my PERSONAL opinion makes you think you can straight out point out the flaws in that statement. I never acted like I had won nothing, see now you are putting words in my mouth. I strictly said that in 52 seasons I am not happy with what I've gotten out of that tenure in regards to team awards. Saying that, I also pointed out that your little idea that team loyalty has seemed to have more success is false; because in those 52 seasons I have remained loyal and signed long-term contracts and it has done shit all. You basically just stated that if someone goes out to grab cups, they think highly of themselves. That is in fact false. If someone goes out to get cups its because in this simulation, winning cups is the ultimate goal and winning them makes this fun experience worth it. However, if you aren't winning them it does get a little sour considering you put effort in and try to help the league in different capacities. I don't act like they are shaming me at all, but they haven't really hesitated to post their sour grapes about people not choosing them. That just looks bad on them. We didn't sign with a given team, who cares move past it.

You have this thinking that if someones opinion differs from yours, it's totally lacking any intelligence behind it. I won't even touch the second last paragraph because you just want to hurl insults around now.

And when  did I criticize you for making your decision based on personal grounds? AND AGAIN I NEVER SAID TEAM LOYALTY HAS HAD MORE SUCCESS! Here ready watch I'm going to find my quote...

" From my view, Cups are hard to win and I don't think so highly of myself that I somehow need an epic run where I win multiple Cups in a row. I mean look at Toronto. Sure pieces were added late, but they are only on the verge of a Fourpeat because of the core they built to be competitive season after season. Which minus a few pieces added in FA in a season or two, is how most players get Cups on teams. You latch yourself onto one of the 3-4 teams trending up, and stay there long enough to give them a chance to take you all the way."

Hmm...odd. It seems almost like I argue that I'll probably win less in my tenure during that, but that because winning regardless is filled with so much uncertainty at least FOR ME I can just have fun with the people I like. Nowhere did I say that strategy is fullproof, or that it works better, or that it's the only way to go, or that even your strategy was wrong. I present Toronto as a reference, because they mostly succeeded on the back of a solid core. But even still that is just so I could  present an argument as to why I thought your guys strategy had a flaw. Toronto looked better by the playoffs than they did at the regular season. And yes @Higgins I'm aware Victor played a role in that. But that is just the point I was making. I never implied it works all the time. I mean I even FA'd with a previous player to eventually win, so it's not like I think I'm above that or something. I have zero idea where you keep finding false things in my message because you seem to think I said there was no intelligence behind your decisions? How, where? It was a simple argument with a reason as to why I thought it was a risky strategy. THAT IS IT. 

Edited by Mr. Power

40 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

" From my view, Cups are hard to win and I don't think so highly of myself that I somehow need an epic run where I win multiple Cups in a row. I mean look at Toronto. Sure pieces were added late, but they are only on the verge of a Fourpeat because of the core they built to be competitive season after season. Which minus a few pieces added in FA in a season or two, is how most players get Cups on teams. You latch yourself onto one of the 3-4 teams trending up, and stay there long enough to give them a chance to take you all the way."

Hmm...odd. It seems almost like I argue that I'll probably win less in my tenure during that, but that because winning regardless is filled with so much uncertainty at least FOR ME I can just have fun with the people I like. Nowhere did I say that strategy is fullproof, or that it works better, or that it's the only way to go, or that even your strategy was wrong. I present Toronto as a reference, because they mostly succeeded on the back of a solid core. But even still that is just so I could  present an argument as to why I thought your guys strategy had a flaw. Toronto looked better by the playoffs than they did at the regular season. And yes @Higgins I'm aware Victor played a role in that. But that is just the point I was making. I never implied it works all the time. I mean I even FA'd with a previous player to eventually win, so it's not like I think I'm above that or something. I have zero idea where you keep finding false things in my message because you seem to think I said there was no intelligence behind your decisions? How, where? It was a simple argument with a reason as to why I thought it was a risky strategy. THAT IS IT. 

The bolded part: It is something I've done (through loyalty) and it hasn't worked. That is what I am saying. You are saying Toronto built themselves through the draft and with a few pieces here and there were able to go on a possible four-peat here. When all fits under the cap, who the hell cares where they came from? I am talking one season here not the building of anything special with a 3-4 year span. You are basically arguing that Toronto has had success from building through a draft and that it is a prime example why FA isn't always the greatest way to success. That's cool and all, but never did I say I argued against that. I strictly said it's funny that some GM's are sharing their "hindsight 20/20" comments right now when a FA (or 4) all signed with one team because they felt it was a good chance at a cup.

I also stated it was my personal feeling that I had not accomplished what I FEEL is enough success to consider this place a success. You decided to dissect that like your points carried any weight in MY personal opinion about my time. Why does my 52 seasons in the VHL have anything to do with what you are saying? I'm struggling to see why your analysis has to be brought into every last subject in the league, right down to my own thoughts on 52 seasons. I may think I am on a soap box but it appears you feel like you have all the answers.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

No it hasn't. Go ahead, I'm sure just like Kendrick you reduce and lie too, oh wait yes you do. Find me cheering for or against Toronto last season, go ahead....find it. All I did was react to the potential for history. I made a joke Fan590 about the apocalypse, analysed some of their players such as Molholt and Wingate. All of this was well before I was on Toronto. None it has anything to do with where I personally sit other than my own desire to see myself win, something the majority of us share. 

But here is the point I don't think you guys get. I'm not criticizing your decision to sign in Calgary. In fact I'm generally the one on casts etc that justified it more than say Chris did. Also in the case of the cast @Higgins nobody was calling you a downright cheater. Come on. Jericho asked what happened, we explained. Even your buddy @Draper called you out in the BoG thread for acting childish about the situation so come on. It was not a witch hunt, rules were broken punishment was discussed and we seemed to agree on it. Case closed. 

Lie? What exactly did I lie about. You came after me for basically just pointing out that GM's come in and say things once a loss has been solidified by someone they have sour grapes over. You don't think that but we certainly know whats behind those comments because all season long they have been there.

Just to be clear though it was a witch hunt. Go back and look at that thread and how things were phrased. I read it before ever responding and you can call me a liar all you want but you two whined like someone stole the bottle.

• Admin

I have said this time and time again, but Devise has the communication skills of Stephen Hawking's computer - he has good stuff to say but never reins it in and ends up spitting out rambling paragraphs.

He means no harm though. How people get offended and/or involved in arguments with him is beyond me.

I'm not offended, at all. Not once in this thread have I, even when he dished out insults. I just think it's funny he thinks his opinion needs to be put on every aspect of the league, even right down to a members thoughts on his own tenure.