TV Show Discussion Thread

.sniffuM

I did my due dilligence and looked two pages for a general thread for this and couldn't find it. What's everyone watching now/what's everyone's favorite shows? Aside from Thrones obviously, I know you guys never stop watching that. :P

Just recently watched Rick and Morty and am 2 episodes away from finishing Community. R&M was about as good as I was expecting it to be, Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon are beasts. Community's interesting for me, season 1 was great, and seasons 2 and 3 are really the sweet spot. I stopped watching long ago after hearing about how bad season 4 was but recently watched some favorite episodes which eventually got me back to watching everything. S4 was okay, I didn't hate it as much as a lot of people but I feel like I mainly liked it because I was invested into the characters. S5 and S6 are solid but it's tough to get through sometimes without some of the characters that have left.

I'd say my listing of top 10 favorite shows of all time would probably have to be:

1. Peaky Blinders (ainec)

2. Boardwalk Empire (still need to finish the last season)

3. Breaking Bad

4. Arrested Development

5. One Piece (I'm about 10 real episodes behind)

6. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (until Season 7, everything after feels like it's just going through the motions)

7. Game of Thrones (stopped watching after season 4 because I'm not a big fan of books 4 and 5, I might get back into it but probably wanna read book 6 first)

8. Sons of Anarchy (first 5 seasons are great, season 6 was bad enough that I've never seen the last season and don't plan on it)

9. Rick and Morty

10. Community

Probably forgetting about some stuff. But yeah. What's everyone else watching and shit?

I downloaded the first season of The Wire and the whole Deadwood series, but haven't got around to watching either.

Haven't started the most recent season of Suits either, but that's always a solid spot.

Rick and Morty is the tits.

I just remembered I need to download this past season of Silicon Valley. I started it with Thrones, but haven't been doing much TV lately, and my Internet was limited in all of June/parts of July. It's so good, one of the few comedies that can make me burst out laughing every episode. Mike Judge is a genius.

Thrones is obviously GOAT, which is why it has its own thread or two.

This bitch posted a Game of Thrones spoiler so I have spared you all

-love Draper

Spoiler

ive seen maybe one episode of thrones. it was when the naked dragon queen killed all the barbarian guys with a big fire in this new season thats on tv. 

also I like supernatural. fav show.

1. Supernatural

2. One Tree Hill

3. Prison Break

dunno after that. I watched Lost, first two seasons were great but from Season 3 onward just didnt like it but i did finish it. I've also watched Prison Break with my GF in the past year. now im looking for a new show to watch on netflix. 

• Senior Admin

Im watching on S3 of The Wire right now. Before that was The Sopranos which is definitely one of best series for me, but I can never manage to actually rank these things.

Then there's always Mad Men, Prison Break, 24, Dexter. Got some major catching up to do on Game of Thrones. Been meaning to start Boardwalk Empire for some time so that might be up next after The Wire. 

Watching Jessica Jones on Netflix atm.

It's good. David Tennant is a fantastic villian... but these writers need to learn the art of subtly... stop fucking shoving your political correctness and extreme feminist down our throats ffs

5 hours ago, Draper said:

Im watching on S3 of The Wire right now. Before that was The Sopranos which is definitely one of best series for me, but I can never manage to actually rank these things.

Then there's always Mad Men, Prison Break, 24, Dexter. Got some major catching up to do on Game of Thrones. Been meaning to start Boardwalk Empire for some time so that might be up next after The Wire. 

Boardwalk Empire was my favorite show of all time for a long time and I honestly didn't think anything could knock it off for a while until Peaky Blinders out-Boardwalk-Empire'd it. It's definitely a slower show but if you have interest in gangster shows/movies, 1920s prohibition America is a great backdrop for it.

I love me some Boardwalk Empire

Prison Break is coming with a new season which will be interesting to follow because none of my other favourite shows have ever made a comeback years later. I doubt it'll ruin it for me since Prisom Break season 1 was god tier greatness.

4 hours ago, Higgins said:

I love me some Boardwalk Empire

Prison Break is coming with a new season which will be interesting to follow because none of my other favourite shows have ever made a comeback years later. I doubt it'll ruin it for me since Prisom Break season 1 was god tier greatness.

Man the movie nearly ruined Prison Break for me, I do not feel good about there being a new season.

Top 10 of all time for me currently probably looks like this. 

1. The Wire 

Until you have seen it, and understand it you'll never know why so many put it top of the class. Universities teach the show around North America, it comes so close to feeling real, that actual education can be gained from it. But it's more than that. It manages to have a stellar cast of characters, problems, and pacing all inside of its lived in setting. I haven't encountered a piece of media as deep and rich yet. 

2. Breaking Bad 

Most people rave about the high stakes final season but for me it was all the hard character work done in the first two seasons that makes the later higher tempo stories work so well. The show is a good journey, and has a strong finish to wrap it up. 

3. Star Trek The Next Generation 

No show, let me repeat NO SHOW has a cast of characters and actors with the chemistry of TNG. It allowed the plot of the week format to work so strongly, because it was carried by a crew you could pretty much watch doing anything. There are certainly weaker episodes in its 7 seasons but there are about 5-7 episodes that I think stand as some of the single greatest episodes of television. On top of those highs TNG pushed forward a real idea of a larger narrative universe with themes and consequences, something we now see across all forms of media. 

4. Justified 

I struggled with this one a bit but ultimately felt that the performance turned in by Timothy Olyphant carried this show slightly above my number five. He becomes the character of Raylend Givens, and proves that you can modernise and give life to an old genre in the western. The fact that you still get strong side plots, a good strong villain played by the underrated Walton Goggins only adds to the experience. Like most good shows this one also doesn't overstay it's welcome and has a strong finish. 

5. Game of Thrones 

It's tough not to put this on a list at this point. For most Thrones stands as the piece of medium that got people on board with the fantasy genre. For me it came at a time when I was so burnt out on the typical high fantasy approach that it was welcome to see a very different take on it. The show has suffered some weaker storylines, and characters but its highs mostly in the form of specific scenes in certain episodes remain some of the most powerful, that land with such an impact that they become unforgettable. 

6. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia 

I don't have the same issue as a previous poster regarding the quality dipping in later seasons, quite the opposite actually. I feel the show and it's legacy get stronger each year mostly because the cast do such a great job with very character driven roles. The shows ability to skirt around major plot movement while still having a sense of narrative and consequences to the events allow them to have big moments while still basically ripping on the entire genre of sitcoms in general. 

7. Sherlock 

Led by one of the better actors in our time in Benedict, with a great side performance by the underrated Martin Freeman, the show modernises the Holmes stories brilliantly. It gets movie level performances from its cast and with only 3 hour and a half episodes per season it functions more like a movie anyways. The show manages good moments of all kind though, with thrills, laughs, tension and even some powerful emotional moments. It's editing needs to be recognised as the style allows the show to move at a sometimes frantic pace while still conveying a lot of info to the audience. 

8. Fargo

Differentiating my number 8 and 9 is the stronger second season of Fargo. Both seasons of this show stand out to me as the best of class in terms of the black comedy genre. Great casting, powerful performances and the uncanny ability to work what is sometimes ridiculous plot and moments into it's cooky Minnesota world makes this a must watch from me. If you haven't seen it especially since more than most on my list your hard pressed to find anything like it. 

9. True Detective 

Season 2 was trash but I still have to give this a nod on my list as the first season was simply sensational. While the unveiling of the plot was good, what carries that first season is the characters and things they go through to get them to the points later in the show. Everything is paced perfectly, and tied together in an excellent narrative format. 

10. Agent's of Shield 

I'll put this on my list because I can't not. As a avid follower of the MCU even when I don't think all the outings have been strong I was initially attracted to the show to see more of Clark Gregg's underrated Agent Phil Coulson. But as the show matured, and grew into itself I begun to see something that could stand on its own legs from the character work it was doing. Another staple of the show in later seasons was its ability to just push the pace and throw plot at the wall rapidly, which allows it to quickly move on if a specific story beat isn't the greatest. It's also highlighted by the best villain in all the MCU including the films. He's the most deep, intriguing, and complex villain Marvel has put on screen. 

Honourable mentions: Mr. Robot, The OC, Longmire, Portlandia, Longmire, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Narcos, Community, Whose Line Is It Anyway, Gotham

There we go, I knew I forgot something -- Whose Line. That'd probably slot in at #4 for me.

And I know we've had this debate before so I won't get into it but just know I disagree with you wholeheartedly re: Sunny. It's at the point where I catch new seasons on Netflix because I don't care enough to go out of my way to see them. Season 10 had two episodes I didn't watch in full the first time because they felt so 'been there, done that' with certain character interactions that I didn't really care to see where they went.

Also, speaking of Walton Goggins, anyone see HBO's new show Vice Principals? It's not for everyone, the main characters are all grade A assholes, but it's a pretty entertaining show if you can bear that sort of thing.

I'm really bad at settling on lists, so I'm going to start by throwing together the things I've watched and then try to sort them. 

Shows I Love

Lost

I watched this late (year or two ago), and I loved every bit of it. I know some people thought it went bad or didn't like the ending, but I thought everything was tied up nicely. I think watching it all at once probably helps this show, rather than having to wait week to week. I loved the characters, the mystery and everything this show did. One of my favorites.

Justified

I love Timothy Olyphant in this show. He's a great character, plays the part well and really makes me wish I was a marshall ha. His dysfunctional relationships with just about everyone are pretty great and him dealing with doing what is right and what is legal (and when those don't line up) is a good element.

The Office

Another show that I didn't mind despite falling off a bit in quality. I'll even admit, the later seasons (without Carell) were not as good - but the other characters were still fun and I'm glad I stuck with the show. A lot of my favorite TV moments happened in this show.

The Newsroom

I know that I need to watch the West Wing, but this show sold me on Sorkin. I love the mix of characters, the mix of real-life news and news from the show, relatable events, etc. This show has some of the best dialogue you'll find and I think every cast member is utilized well.

Seinfeld

This show is timeless. 

Louie

Louie never fails to make me laugh. He combines events that are relatable and things that are outlandish. Some of the scenes from this are the funniest things I've seen in a show.

Orange is the New Black

Great cast of characters. A completely different situation than anything I've ever been in or will ever be in. It combines a lot of different types of people really well and has a good mix of drama and comedy.

Luther

I only wish there was more of this. Idris Elba is amazing. Ruth Wilson is amazing. 

House

I love Hugh Laurie in this show and I can relate to him being a total jerk most of the time. House can be sort of "monster of the week" and a bit predictable, but I still really enjoyed every episode and all of the characters involved. Plus, it has great lessons, such as "everyone lies."

Big Brother

I never have and never will miss an episode. I know that it is a bit over the top and I know its reality TV, but I love this show. I love the gameplay, the strategies, the crazy personalities, etc. 

Survivor

Same as Big Brother, these are my two big reality shows. I love survivor. It has so much history and so many elements to trying to play it and I love all of it.

Friday Night Lights

Just a great show. I love sports, so it has that going for it. I love a big cast of characters, so it has that going for it as well. It has a lot of people that are really relatable.

Shows I Really Like

Master of None (If there was more of it, it would probably be under love)

Scream Queens (Similar to Master of None, I need more of it to see how much I like it) 

Prison Break (The early seasons were great, but the later seasons burned me on my overall opinion)

Sports Night (Good show, I watched it a little later so it was a bit dated)

Impractical Jokers (Hilarious)

Silicon Valley (I only recently caught up on this, so it's fresh on my mind)

Parks and Recreation (Always dependable)

The Walking Dead (Great show to talk about at work)

Making a Murderer (If this was more of a "TV show" it would be under love)

Stranger Things (Need more of this before making a more final judgement, first season was great)

House of Cards (First and fourth seasons were amazing, second and third were a bit lacking)

Arrested Development (All but that weird extra season was phenomenal)

Shows I Like

Ballers (Just caught up on this, I like it so far)

The Night Of (Only three episodes in, great show so far)

Curb Your Enthusiasm (Only seen a few seasons, currently catching up. Always good)

Vampire Diaries (I like this one too much [probably should be in the above group], guilty pleasure. Sue me.)

Workaholics (Almost always funny)

Regular Show (Perfect meal show)

Modern Family (I wish I had seen more of this show)

Supernatural (First four or so seasons, but then I got really burnt out)

New Girl (I'm a season or so behind now, but I typically like these episodes)

The League (Will probably have this in a higher group after some time has passed from the last season)

True Detective (First season was great, just not a lot of it)

How I Met Your Mother (Another show that I liked early on and then soured a bit on)

The King of Queens (Used to watch this every day ha)

Shows That are Okay

Breaking Bad (I thought this was a good show, but for me it isn't the show everyone else thinks it is)

Freaks and Geeks (Decent show for only one season)

Love (This was fine, watched it all in a day while I was sick)

Flaked (I like Will Arnett, this show is not horrible)

Black Mirror (Fun/weird show)

11.22.63 (I wanted a bit more from this, but what it did was still good)

Party Down (Fun show)

Eastbound and Down (Kenny Powers gets really hard to root for)

People vs O.J. (Good show)

The Last Man on Earth (First episodes were super clever, now its kinda just okay)

Everybody Loves Raymond (Was great watching this growing up)

The IT Crowd (Not bad)

Rules of Engagement (I think I thought this was good when I watched it)

Shows I Need to Watch

The Wire

West Wing

Dexter

The Sopranos

The Shield

Longmire

Shameless

Fargo

Boardwalk Empire

Entourage

Veep

Edited by Molholt

I recently started watching House from the beginning. That's really all I can contribute. I keep up with very little television unless it's on Netflix.

The last series I saw were probably Gossip Girl, Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill...basically whatever my fiancee puts on TV while I'm home.

Master of None and Parks and Rec are great as well.

As far as reality TV shows, as some of you know I'm really big into Hell's Kitchen. I actually skipped the most recent season, the first time I've done it, because I accidentally saw who the winner was, and because I got annoyed by the first episode where eeeeeeeeeveryone had a story (one girl went to prison, one lady's a mom, one guy's from New Jersey which suffices for a story to them, etc.). I'm also into Masterchef, but that can get pretty heavy-handed. The winner has always been the sappiest choice (including the winner of season 3 who was so obvious from the moment she made the top 20 or whatever that I nearly stopped watching the show after).

Hmm, maybe I'll bring VHL Hell's Kitchen back. Or, you know, write two episodes and then walk away from it. :lol:

55 minutes ago, .sniffuM said:

Master of None and Parks and Rec are great as well.

As far as reality TV shows, as some of you know I'm really big into Hell's Kitchen. I actually skipped the most recent season, the first time I've done it, because I accidentally saw who the winner was, and because I got annoyed by the first episode where eeeeeeeeeveryone had a story (one girl went to prison, one lady's a mom, one guy's from New Jersey which suffices for a story to them, etc.). I'm also into Masterchef, but that can get pretty heavy-handed. The winner has always been the sappiest choice (including the winner of season 3 who was so obvious from the moment she made the top 20 or whatever that I nearly stopped watching the show after).

Hmm, maybe I'll bring VHL Hell's Kitchen back. Or, you know, write two episodes and then walk away from it. :lol:

I was watching Masterchef this year but there was a long break between this most recent episode, which I think aired last night, and the one before it so I kind of lost interest.

Just now, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

I was watching Masterchef this year but there was a long break between this most recent episode, which I think aired last night, and the one before it so I kind of lost interest.

I have enjoyed Masterchef since day 1, enjoy the other masterchefs now too

I never was a big reality TV guy but my roommate got me watching some Survivor and I got into it. My issue from the beginning was always the ham fisted way they tried to say how "real" it is. But after seeing recent seasons I see now how it has evolved to basically just an extreme game show, and it leans heavily into the playing of the game aspect which I like. 

9 minutes ago, Smarch said:

I have enjoyed Masterchef since day 1, enjoy the other masterchefs now too

I generally like them, too. It's hard for me to say why exactly. It's not like I can taste the food so there's really no way for me to say this guy/girl is gonna win because his/her food is awesome. It's more of a personality thing. 

Last season I really wanted Steven to win because he was so crazy.

1 hour ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

I generally like them, too. It's hard for me to say why exactly. It's not like I can taste the food so there's really no way for me to say this guy/girl is gonna win because his/her food is awesome. It's more of a personality thing. 

Last season I really wanted Steven to win because he was so crazy.

Yeah I liked Stephen and was pulling for the runner up while knowing the eventual winner would probably win because she was the more sappy choice, although I did like her so I wasn't annoyed by it or anything.

13 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

@Molholt how do you feel about BB this season? until the most recent 2 weeks i have been pretty disappointed in it. floaters everywhere

I was sad when Frank left and haven't really felt like I have anyone to root for since then (loved him on his first season). There has been a ton of whining/crying that I don't tolerate very well. It seems like no one is really doing much, with everyone just sitting on their current odds. Some people have made some strides recently, but there are still so many people that I don't think are very deserving right now.