Claimed: 1/2 VHL Starting Goalies Review: Europe

Banackock

Thanks to Aleksei Federov, I've officially played every position in the sim universe. Over in the SHL I've done the LW/RW and over here I've managed to topple goalie, centre and officially, defense. Over the seasons though, I'd have to say my favourite position to create and play as has to be goalie. To be dominant, post wins and come up big to me is as good as scoring and dominating up front. Yeah, in my mind the goaltending as inflated hugely in this league to the point a goalie goes 60-7-2 with 2982 shut outs on the season, but I'd like to think of teams were less "really good" or just shit, that would be different. That's what you get for only having a 10 team league. This season, we have had some surprises, some bed shitters and some absolute star goaltenders and we're going to take a look at them right now for some sweet 6 TPE.

:hel:Helsinki:hel:

Astrid Moon is and likely will be one of my favourite goalies in the league right now. While I will say that I am a Perought fan, something about Astrid Moon strikes my heart. Not sure if it's @KGR as a person, or how dominant he's been over the last few seasons, but he's got my vote as a HOFer if he keeps it up. This season has been no different - going 21-8-1 while posting some other fairly good numbers. Though it's not as great as before, he's still playing some good puck.

:sto:Stockholm:sto:

He's got the shitty end of the stick for most of his career. His player agent has built some great players in his time audit's the simple fact of shitty timing for this career. A huge amount of goalies has pushed him to be on unsuccessful teams (Davos and now Stockholm). 5-24-1 is the record this season and though his save % is great, his GAA is shit (expected). A little bird tells me to keep an eye on him. He could be on the move sooner rather than later.

:dav:Davos:dav:

DAV G has done his job rocking a 7-1-1 record (thought we'd just say that). Rhett DeGrath was brought in to bring about change to the position (not really). They already had strong goaltending by DeGrath is simply better (even if his stats don't really show it right now). 15-6-0 with some fairly good stats to go along with it, expect his play to only get better and better this season. Now that the back ups games are out of the way, expect him to roll to the finish line with fire under his heels.

:col:Cologne Express:col:

Vernon Von Axelburry.  Good goalie, shit team. His record is extremely below average and his numbers are the same. You can shit all over him for his statistics or look the bull in the eye and spit the truth. Cologne is a shitty team with a good goalie and there he lay in the shit. What is he to do other than try his best and that's exactly what he's doing. IF and when Cologne improves, Vern Von Axelburry will surely carry a crazy amount of weight on his shoulders. On a more competitive team and I'd say he'd be one hell of a starter.

:rig:Riga Reign:rig:

I'm actually a little surprised they're doing AS good as they are. I guess Stockholm and Cologne do suck pretty good, but I'm gonna say that King has a lot to do with it. While they are seeing strong play from a  bunch of their other players, he's likely a player who currently sits as a candidate for MVP on the season thus far. 24-4-0 is dominant enough, but his numbers display level of insane excellency. Despite the strong start, I'd say all eyes are on King to see if he can continue this strong play. If he can't, I'd say Riga falls a small amount.

12 (Final double) for Federov

Edited by punkhippie

Review: Nice breakdown of the netminders in the Euro. The VHL is blessed with great goalies now, and there are always more coming up from the minors, so this is a new age where scoring is down. Will be interesting to see what happens when this group enters their prime and heads into depreciation afterwards.