Cologne to gun for third playoff spot

Gudnason

With their recent surprise back-to-back wins over HC Davos Dynamo and Helsinki Titans, rumours are spreading out of Germany that Cologne is conditionally gunning for the third and final playoff spot in the European Conference.

Sophomore goaltender Vernon Von Axelberry has been stellar so far this year, with his .925 save percentage ahead of goalies like Rhett DeGrath, Astrid Moon, Jacob, and Torstein Ironside. With retiring veteran backup Edwin Threencarnac yet to play his 24 games, the likes of COL LW1, COL LW3, and COL C3 could score just enough goals for the Express to sneak in the back door with assistance from free-scoring defensemen Lyle Smallwood, Drahoslav Detlev, and Misha Tobolsk.

It is thought that Ying, the Express GM, however, is only willing to gun for the final spot at the expensive of Davos, whose first round draft pick this offseason they hold.

"Everyone knows that Stockholm isn't making the playoffs, so I'm not going to benefit New York or Riga, unless I can take Davos down with me."