17/18 Soccer/Football Discussion

• Admin
Just now, diamond_ace said:

I don't think it's that close tbh. I'd be more inclined to have had Sevilla ahead of Pool (prior to them beating City) than behind or equal to Roma. Sevilla do well in Europe historically, there's something to be said for that. I'm happy to see some new blood in the semis, although I'm sure it's a Real Madrid victory lap now

Sevilla have changed considerably since their last Europa League win (2016), let alone the 2014 one, so I don't think those achievements are hugely relevant for today's team.

Yeah it does feel like Roma are there to make up the numbers (I recall a similar run by Schalke some years back), but in terms of stopping Real, I'm not convinced this year's Barca would be able to do that (in the CL, they did spank them in the league).

Still fancy Bayern, can't underestimate the Jupp. But absolutely in agreement with you, very refreshing storylines. I'm still a bit pumped after watching the end of the Roma game.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting possibility:

Chelsea win out, including over Pool.
Pool beat Brighton but lose to Chelsea.
Spurs finish their last two (Newcastle, Leicester) with a win and a draw.

All three would be on 75 points. Chelsea would still be 5th on GD, but it would be interesting to see that. (Obviously I'd hope for either Brighton to steal a draw vs Pool, or Spurs to either lose once or draw twice, so Chelsea can fully pass, but the triple 75 scenario is the most interesting even if it's not my preferred outcome)

Typical Bayern, run the league and then leave a sour taste in my mouth by blowing the last game 4-1. Just feels weird holding the trophy up after a 4-1 loss haha

1 hour ago, Fire Hakstol said:

1. Man City

2. Man U

3. Tottenham

4. Liverpool

5. Chelsea

Not too shabby @solas

A great season, all things considered (Y)

Walker-Peters was great today.  Needs to start more games in the future IMO.

6 hours ago, solas said:

A great season, all things considered (Y)

Walker-Peters was great today.  Needs to start more games in the future IMO.

Agree...wouldn't mind seeing Aurier sold, but I imagine next season we'll get Trippier and Aurier again and KWP gets loaned out to a lower/mid table prem side. 

• Admin

Better than nothing, at least another trophy this season.

Personally don't think Conte should leave based on his work over the 2 years and also the lack of any realistic alternative that would be an obvious improvement (I don't think Sarri or Allegri are going to leave). But it's Chelsea so that's all pointless hoping the manager gets time so hello Enrique/Jardim/whoever else and a weirdly better season with the same players. As long as Hazard stays we're a threat but City, Liverpool and Spurs probably too far ahead atm.

3 hours ago, Victor said:

Better than nothing, at least another trophy this season.

Personally don't think Conte should leave based on his work over the 2 years and also the lack of any realistic alternative that would be an obvious improvement (I don't think Sarri or Allegri are going to leave). But it's Chelsea so that's all pointless hoping the manager gets time so hello Enrique/Jardim/whoever else and a weirdly better season with the same players. As long as Hazard stays we're a threat but City, Liverpool and Spurs probably too far ahead atm.

Yah I really just don't understand the logic of wanting to sack him. I usually can see logic in sports moves even if I disagree but other then Morata most of his big signings have been decent at least. Letting Costa go was really bad but otherwise I think he'd done a solid B + job. One of the big sides was going to miss out on Champions league but they can easily win the Europa league next year. 

If they can't keep Hazard then it's anybodies guess though. He's the best player in the Premier League still. Mo Salah and KDB is obviously great but Hazard when on his game no one is close.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Yah I really just don't understand the logic of wanting to sack him. I usually can see logic in sports moves even if I disagree but other then Morata most of his big signings have been decent at least. Letting Costa go was really bad but otherwise I think he'd done a solid B + job. One of the big sides was going to miss out on Champions league but they can easily win the Europa league next year. 

If they can't keep Hazard then it's anybodies guess though. He's the best player in the Premier League still. Mo Salah and KDB is obviously great but Hazard when on his game no one is close.

yeah and I'm not sure how much Costa leaving was down to Costa himself.

The thing with Hazard is he is our entire attack and without him the entire rest of the top 6 is undeniably better by this point (even Arsenal now). Chelsea haven't spent ridiculous amounts for about 5 years so he wouldn't be adequately replaced and that would be that. Fortunately I don't think he'll ever push for a move so I'm fairly calm. It's City's league to lose for a while anyway.

4 minutes ago, Victor said:

yeah and I'm not sure how much Costa leaving was down to Costa himself.

The thing with Hazard is he is our entire attack and without him the entire rest of the top 6 is undeniably better by this point (even Arsenal now). Chelsea haven't spent ridiculous amounts for about 5 years so he wouldn't be adequately replaced and that would be that. Fortunately I don't think he'll ever push for a move so I'm fairly calm. It's City's league to lose for a while anyway.

I guess we will have to see. I do agree that Chelsea is a mid level club without Hazard. At least their attacking is. I like Willian but he isn't in the same tier.

If Hazard wants Conte out for some reason I'd honestly sack him. Hazard is too important.

2 hours ago, Tyler said:

Feel awful for Karius. Yikes.

I hope this doesn't get in his head and kind of kill what's left of his development, but it almost certainly will. It wouldn't surprise me if he spends the majority of his career at a Lyon/Galatasaray/Shakhtar level club the rest of the way. I saw an article that compared this to Barbosa (Brazil goalie, 1950 WC) letting in Ghiggia's easy goal for Uruguay to win. That shit haunted him the rest of his career. "The maximum punishment in Brazil is 30 years imprisonment, but I have been paying, for something I am not even responsible for, by now, for 50 years." Admittedly, club level fans don't have the same sense of "letting them down" that national team fans do, so I don't think it'll go quite that far, but I doubt Karius ever plays for another top 10-15 club.

3 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

I hope this doesn't get in his head and kind of kill what's left of his development, but it almost certainly will. It wouldn't surprise me if he spends the majority of his career at a Lyon/Galatasaray/Shakhtar level club the rest of the way. I saw an article that compared this to Barbosa (Brazil goalie, 1950 WC) letting in Ghiggia's easy goal for Uruguay to win. That shit haunted him the rest of his career. "The maximum punishment in Brazil is 30 years imprisonment, but I have been paying, for something I am not even responsible for, by now, for 50 years." Admittedly, club level fans don't have the same sense of "letting them down" that national team fans do, so I don't think it'll go quite that far, but I doubt Karius ever plays for another top 10-15 club.

Did he ever? ?

22 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

Did he ever? ?

I mean I'm not a fan of Pool, but I'd say they're there or so, this season anyway. They got a lucky draw to get as far as the finals, but realistically they're probably about a quarters team, which is still 10-15

• Admin
10 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

I've seen some pretty vile tweets from Liverpool fans that suggest yes they do have the same sense.

Sadly have to agree re Karius. Question is will Klopp cut his losses now or give him a second chance and watch the sad decline over the course of next season. Probably the latter, he seems like a sympathetic type.

21 minutes ago, Victor said:

I've seen some pretty vile tweets from Liverpool fans that suggest yes they do have the same sense.

Sadly have to agree re Karius. Question is will Klopp cut his losses now or give him a second chance and watch the sad decline over the course of next season. Probably the latter, he seems like a sympathetic type.

I remember playing FM12 where Karius was the half star goalie prospect with 5 star potential for Mainz (and I played as Mainz a few times over the years, especially considering I kept going back to FM12 until I finally caved and bought FM16) and I always used to send him off on loan deals until he eventually led Mainz to the Bundesliga title. Shame something like that couldn't happen for him, although admittedly I'd be significantly less interested in it happening for Pool.