Claimed: Me and Pete (1/2)

jRuutu

9954c1189561faeae57ec170b12cfb9b.jpg

This season is the second season for Guntis Petenis in Quebec, he joined our organization from Riga before s55. Last year we reached all the way to the finals, but I know this season we will take one more step and celebrate a cup victory here in Quebec! Big part of our changes and gameplan this year is the Petenis-Jokinen pair. That pair has it all, toughness, ability to make the right plays and of course the ability to shut down even the best of offensive lineups.

We played together last year already little bit, but at one point the coach seperated us and put us into different pairs, he said it was just too unfair for the guys who were trying to get past us in the practice that he decided to see how Kronoss-Jokinen and Petenis - Komarov pairs work. They worked pretty nicely, we finished first in North-American division and as mentioned, made our way all the way to the finals.

Now Komarov has retired and Kronoss not playing in Quebec anymore, so Fabio and Pete is back together! I gave Petenis that nickname by the way, I called him Pete first, he does not like it, but I do it anyways, I´m faster than he is.

83076492.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA

Meute forwards look in horror, it´s 2v2 drills again, forwards try to get past defenders and score.

Everything is not all sunshine and rainbows though, we are facing similar problem as last year, guys in the practice are starting to lose confidence because they so rarely get to feel good about themselves, always either Petenis or myself ruining their little dangles or fancy passing plays. If something somehow gets past us, Skye is the final lock on the ice, so you can imagine how much fun it´s to be a forward in Meute practice.

I decided to help the guys little bit and made a deal with Petenis, I had to, the morale and feeling inside the team was starting to get really depressing, so I said to Guntis: Yo Pete! Let´s make a deal, no more huge hits on the practice, the guys are starting to get scared out there, lets save it for the games, ok? So these days it´s just checking with the stick only, no actual physical contact, but as you can imagine, two great skaters with long reach, getting past us is not an easy job.

The feeling inside the team as I´m writing this now, is positive and good. We have started the year really well, six games so far and won five of them, also scored the most goals and allowed the least, so start has been great. Going forward from here, we aim to keep the same intensity level up and hope it will carry us to great things in the future. We got hell of a team, excellent goalie, excellent forwards, excellent overall defense and excellent coaching and management team, so if you are wondering who might be the next cup winner, we not only might, we will win the cup.

Edited by jRuutu

REVIEW:

A nice article detailing Jokinen's play with Petenis and their fooling around at practice. It's nice to read these first person articles from time to time as a change of pace, and they're interesting.

Also, based on your comments before about using the VHL to improve your English...do you want me to go through these like an old "grade" and point out some of the grammar things? The article itself is easily understandable, just some little things. Just let me know.