Claimed: Riga Comes Up Huge; Bogdonavic Nets First Career Points

TurnDaddy

522061600.jpg

Riga, Latvia -  Riga was anything but quiet this offseason. Pulling the trigger on the "Trade Heard 'round the World", Riga sent shockwaves through the VHL in hopes of becoming the team to dethrone the powerful Helsinki Titans. General Manager Fredinamijs Krīgars acquired Alexander Thrower from Stockholm, then dropped the bomb when it was announced they had also acquired Phil Shankly, Essian Ravenwing, Bobby Digital, and MT Power from the Americans, and the trades are already paying dividends. In their first two games the Reign have started out 2-0, with Ravenwing, Shankly, Thrower, and Digital accounting for a combined 24 points in just those two games. "This is a trade I felt I needed to pull the trigger on." Said GM Krigars. "We cannot afford to sit idly by and allow Helsinki to win their third cup ina row. With the Americans under new leadership we had thought they would be in a selling mood. I'm glad we acquired these guys and hopefully we can compete with Helsinki and the rest of the league now versus being a season or two away from that point." He concluded. Not to be overshadowed, new Rookie, defenseman Niko Bogdonavic, fresh off of his Team Europe Gold in the World Juniors, quickly notched his first two career VHL points with the Reign with a pair of assists in his first game. "It feels great man." Bogdonavic expressed "Coming home with this Gold Medal for Team Europe is a phenomenal feeling. You knew we had something special from the day the rosters were announced, but to see it all come together and win Gold, it's truly special man."

b511d2601b98efe2c5c29353f3a29c24

And of his first career points, "That's another amazing feeling. Truly. You work so hard all your life for this moment. From the day you start playing hockey, to being in the minors, and now to the big leagues, it's a great feeling to be a part of a special team and being a key cog in the wheel to help them win. It's a blessing, I'm grateful for this opportunity, and I just hope that I can continue to contribute for Riga." He concluded. The season may be young, but Riga has certainly started to turn heads already. Time will tell if they can knock Helsinki from the top of ranks, but currently as it sits, it certainly would be an interesting series. "We just need to continue to play loose, that's all there is to it. While A Cup is the ultimate goal, I tell the boys to just go out there, have fun, and play loose. They don't need to go out and win every game and think we're chasing Helsinki every night. We're not. Once the playoffs begin and we're in, that's when the real chase begins." - Krigars