McAllister Preps for First VHL Game

CowboyinAmerica

Seattle_P-I.jpg

Seattle -- The draft is over, free agency is completed, and training camp is done. For Seattle Bears rookie Gabriel McAllister, it’s time for the next step: His first VHL game.

“This is something I’ve been looking forward to for a long time. I certainly enjoyed my time in Saskatoon and my teammates and the success there, but I’m ready for this new chapter,” McAllister told reporters after a recent practice in Seattle. “It might be a bit nerve-wracking, but I’m ready.”

Those nerves may be because of the prospects of the team this season. Outside of McAllister, Seattle largely held firm during the offseason - and especially considering Calgary’s push for new talent, it’s not expected that the Bears will be a playoff team this season. And to hear McAllister tell it, that’s perfectly fine by him.

“We’re building something for the long-term here; I don’t need to win right away,” McAllister said. “I’m happy with the trajectory that we’re on, and I imagine we’re going to be turning some heads here before too long.”

With his performance in the VHLM, though, McAllister has already been turning heads. In addition to the Wild’s Founders Cup win, McAllister was named Playoff MVP for the second straight year. Those accolades have led to a lot of Rookie of the Year buzz, but McAllister won’t let that get to him.

“The awards are nice, but that’s not what I’m after. It’s to grow and to play to the best of my ability this year. If I do that, I expect the rest will fall nicely in line.”

Edited by CowboyinAmerica