Wisdom Teeth

Megster

Okay so I know most of you don't know this about me but I struggle heavily with anxiety. I am supposed to be getting my wisdom teeth out on Thursday and I am freaking out to say the least. I remember my dad getting his wisdom teeth out when I was little and he got air pockets and his whole face swelled up and was purple. It was actually really scary and left a resounding impact on my disdain for dental procedures. I tried to get my wisdom teeth out before, but my blood pressure was way too high and it would have been dangerous so they sent me home. That was 4 years ago, so for 4 years I've been living with mild pain in my mouth just ignoring it until recently I started getting an infection under my gums where my wisdom teeth are. I will spare you the gory details but it's fucking nasty and incredibly painful so I finally have to get my wisdom teeth out. Basically tell me stories about when you got your wisdom teeth out and what it was like?

TL;DR I am scared, tell me about your wisdom teeth surgeries

I got mine out my freshman year of high school and I was fine...I even went to my high school's playoff football game later that night. My face was obviously pretty sore, but it was more just like a dull pain/soreness than a sharp pain. I was on some pain meds (don't remember which ones) and was told to rinse with salt water twice a day I think and I was fine in a couple of days. My mouth and breath were pretty gross for those couple days but overall from a pain/soreness perspective, getting lyme disease was much worse. 

1 minute ago, Smarch said:

Why can't they put you out?

My clients have to be put out to just clean there teeth, so I know they can do it 

They are going to put me out this time, but last time they didn't and I'm not sure why but the place I went to didn't even offer it.

Just now, Megster said:

They are going to put me out this time, but last time they didn't and I'm not sure why but the place I went to didn't even offer it.

Okay good but be your own self advocate if you know you have this problem, as unfortunately not even medical professionals can understand how it makes you feel 

When I got all four of mine removed (all impacted) they gave me freezing and some kind of drug that made me pretty dopey. You shouldn't need to be put under though. It's really not that bad. The worse possible thing that can happen is dry socket which isn't likely. So you should be fine, it sounds worse then it is. You might swell up like a chipmunk though. 

When I got mine out they put me out and I woke up and it was done. First day it didn't hurt at all and I was fine. It really started hurting around days 3-5, but nothing super terrible. Breath smells terrible and you can't eat for a while but it's not terrible

When I talked to the office lady on the phone she literally told me not to wear flippers because people trip over them when they wake up from anesthesia.  Who wears flippers to get their wisdom teeth out???  Why does that need to be said???? 

2 hours ago, Megster said:

When I talked to the office lady on the phone she literally told me not to wear flippers because people trip over them when they wake up from anesthesia.  Who wears flippers to get their wisdom teeth out???  Why does that need to be said???? 

Maybe she meant flip flops. The way I was walking after I came to, I could see someone tripping in flip flops. You know that feeling when you're trying to run in a pool or in deep water? Walking afterwards is kinda like that. My mom was laughing her ass off at me.

Anyway I've had all 4 removed, 2 under general anesthesia (impacted) and 2 under local. Neither "surgeries" were bad. My jaw swelled a bit but the pain wasn't that bad (would have been better if they had given me the proper tools to clean the area with). On a scale of 1-10 I'd say 5-6 without painkillers, 2-3 with (if even). One huge thing to note is to MAKE SURE they give you a plastic tipped syringe to clean out the pockets with. If they don't, food *WILL* get stuck in them, and that's no fun- caused me a lot of extra pain and swelling. Other than that, just follow their aftercare instructions- DEFINITELY no straws/sucking motions, and definitely don't abuse your painkillers, make sure if you're experiencing enough pain that you need them that you're taking them per the perscription. Other than that, while I'll acknowledge some people really do have a hard time of it, most everyone I know that's had the procedure done says it's really not bad (including myself).

Glad to know it went decent. They're out, and it's done!

I've known many who were fine the day after, and I've known a couple who said it hurt like a bitch. I guess it differs for everyone.

I was actually supposed to get 2 removed, but never did. They grew in a little crooked, and a couple of my teeth are sort of crooked because of it, but nobody can notice it besides myself. I only ever grew in the 2 top ones, and never got bottom ones. Never had them removed so I guess I lucked out.