More Members in the VHL

Best Idea?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I will say though, one thing that's been in my head for probably literally 5 years, and I've been too lazy to explore is this:

We tend to recruit in hockey-based communities, in hopes of appealing to people like ourselves.

That is, people who like:

1. Hockey

2. Community

3. Roleplay

4. Creative Writing/Graphic Design

5. Game of Thrones

Yet probably most people who like hockey and sports aren't huge nerds like us. So wouldn't it be more likely to find VHL members in communities more geared toward roleplaying or creative writing? That would presumably be a place where they're already doing stuff they'd be doing here to earn TPE. Then you'd have to think at least a few of those people are hockey fans, and then suddenly we're a perfect fit!

I think I tried looking into that a bit a long time ago, but I think the challenging part with that is, "where do you find such a community?" I don't know, but it wuld be worthwhile looking into, I think.

1 hour ago, JardyB10 said:

I will say though, one thing that's been in my head for probably literally 5 years, and I've been too lazy to explore is this:

We tend to recruit in hockey-based communities, in hopes of appealing to people like ourselves.

1. Hockey

2. Community

3. Roleplay

5. Game of Thrones

Yet probably most people who like hockey and sports aren't huge nerds like us. So wouldn't it be more likely to find VHL members in communities more geared toward roleplaying or creative writing? That would presumably be a place where they're already doing stuff they'd be doing here to earn TPE. Then you'd have to think at least a few of those people are hockey fans, and then suddenly we're a perfect fit!

I think I tried looking into that a bit a long time ago, but I think the challenging part with that is, "where do you find such a community?" I don't know, but it wuld be worthwhile looking into, I think.

You might be on to something!

Quick! everyone spam DnD Forums!

1 hour ago, JardyB10 said:

1. Hockey

2. Community

3. Roleplay

5. Game of Thrones

I think one of the main things that turn people off is the fact you have to write an essay a week to stay competitive....

5 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

I think one of the main things that turn people off is the fact you have to write an essay a week to stay competitive....

Or claim welfare

1 minute ago, punkhippie said:

450 words is hardly an essay...

Im not complaining im just saying some people dont find it fun to write some people do.

So I know some people from SHL came off a hockey fan fiction forum (it was described to me, not sure the link though) and that is very much somewhere we could have success from.  And I'm down for more steamy hockey stories coming out the MS sections lmao

Have already tried emailing old members and seen  couple come back. Wouldn't hurt to try it again I suppose?

Agreed to the Facebook advertising while making it more specified. It gets fairly pricey per day the further in depth you into it (the more you reach, the pricier it is). With that said, I highly doubt we can afford the price it would take to heavily affect the VHL.

I'd say find some other sort of alternative. Are we able to throw advertisements up on Youtube? Potentially have them targeting hockey videos or anything fantasy league or sports? What about the STHS Forum and posting an advertisement there? Other hockey forums? I know once upon a time I found a huge list of hockey forums and shit with well over 200,000 members altogether. 

A couple more to crack out would be: Twitter, any sort of fantasy league or fantasy league news sites, online gaming sites. Post on GOMHL, SHL and other leagues too.

7 hours ago, Devise said:

Indeed. For now it would have to be our own thing. But I mean the history buffs here have been waiting for a place where you can easily go to find a nice categorized and searchable list of some of the history here. The wiki would really allow us to do some of that. And that is something people instantly recognize and trust on the web, even if they know it's user editable there is still is like an element of "oh this is easy to access" that makes this sort of thing engaging for the user imo. 

There already was one made by Scotty and Nick Barr some time ago

2 hours ago, Banackock said:

Have already tried emailing old members and seen  couple come back. Wouldn't hurt to try it again I suppose?

Agreed to the Facebook advertising while making it more specified. It gets fairly pricey per day the further in depth you into it (the more you reach, the pricier it is). With that said, I highly doubt we can afford the price it would take to heavily affect the VHL.

I'd say find some other sort of alternative. Are we able to throw advertisements up on Youtube? Potentially have them targeting hockey videos or anything fantasy league or sports? What about the STHS Forum and posting an advertisement there? Other hockey forums? I know once upon a time I found a huge list of hockey forums and shit with well over 200,000 members altogether. 

A couple more to crack out would be: Twitter, any sort of fantasy league or fantasy league news sites, online gaming sites. Post on GOMHL, SHL and other leagues too.

False, you can set a amount you would like to spend in total. Reach and price are two independent things for Facebook.

As another point here, historically we haven't had much success recruiting from social media with paid ads. Our best source has always been other forums, but I still think real life posters at hockey rinks, games shops, colleges, etc and selling t-shirts for members to wear in public would be most effective aside from forum recruiting 

4 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

False, you can set a amount you would like to spend in total. Reach and price are two independent things for Facebook.

Sure. Then in order to reach a decent amount, the price is fairly significant for days/weeks etc while having the advertisement running. I thought location of the advertisement affected it, but it's been awhile since I tinkered with it. 

6 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Sure. Then in order to reach a decent amount, the price is fairly significant for days/weeks etc while having the advertisement running. I thought location of the advertisement affected it, but it's been awhile since I tinkered with it. 

Not if you set it for say $80 over 3 weeks in various different locations, it's still $80. Its what you tag it under in regards to description that matters.

Well, in the recruitment section of the forum I posted a big list of forums we could/should use.

Dunno if we could leap out to different sport forums too if we asked the forum for permission? NFL/CFL/NBA forums etc? Never know where we'll find members until we try.

17 hours ago, Beaviss said:

(I agree that 450 words is hardly an essay) But indeed, even when I joined, as someone who was already doing some casual fake news writing on Facebook for fun, even I was a bit intimidated that I would have to somehow write articles about a league I know nothing about. As a rule I always found people on the Internet to be dicks, so I was almost afraid to post or do anything for a few months to avoid being embarrassed. Hence why finding a place where people ALREADY write short 450+ word things for the entertainment of other Internet strangers might be an effective strategy.

5 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

(I agree that 450 words is hardly an essay) But indeed, even when I joined, as someone who was already doing some casual fake news writing on Facebook for fun, even I was a bit intimidated that I would have to somehow write articles about a league I know nothing about. As a rule I always found people on the Internet to be dicks, so I was almost afraid to post or do anything for a few months to avoid being embarrassed. Hence why finding a place where people ALREADY write short 450+ word things for the entertainment of other Internet strangers might be an effective strategy.

Or the 450 words could be exchanged for something else less league involved as a rookie?