Jakab Holik Retires

Beketov

• Commissioner
  • 1000 TPE
  • Shaw Trophy

Those were two things I had never done in the VHL and perhaps my main goals when I created Holik. I wanted to do what I had never done and be named the top goalie and finally surpass that mountain of 1000 TPE; even if it has become an easy landmark for some. Unfortunately Holik’s career will be bittersweet for me. While I did get my main two objectives, and easily my best goalie stats to boot (as well as 2nd all time in shutouts, not that it will last) Holik ultimately was disappointing in several regards. He could never truly get out of the shadows for one. I managed to capture a Shaw sure but I followed that Shaw with 2 better seasons that saw me still playing second (or third depending who you ask) fiddle to better, younger goalies in regards to statistics. I also never managed even a cup finals appearance, let alone a cup, despite playing on teams that arguably should have been there. I don’t regret any decisions I really made; I just don’t know what the sim engine really wanted from me.

I do want to thank a couple of my GM’s:

@Banackock for believing in me even though my rookie season with Davos was atrocious (if it hadn’t of been maybe I would have beat Clegane in shutouts) and bringing me in to help lead the team in Seattle. I know you felt bad about not getting us a cup, I feel bad about it too, but I don’t blame you. You built the team as best you could and we got two victory cups out of it but just couldn’t reach the pinnacle. You still helped turn me from the mediocre rookie into one of the league’s top goalies.

@Devise for potentially messing up his own career in order to give me a shot in NY. No other competing team was even looking my way and you took a risk on me. You benched yourself and crippled the NY defense just to bring me in. I know you have apologized for not getting me a cup but I apologize for letting you down. You put your faith in Holik to be the best goalie in the league and at the end of the day I simply wasn’t.

Anyway, this is getting too long and probably too ranty. The point is, I officially retire Jakab Holik; the man with the first name no one could spell. My first player to ever hit 1000, my first player to ever go the full time (even Miller retired at the deadline of his 8th season). Sadly my second straight goalie to retire with no cup but who knows; maybe we’ll have some weak classes and I can get him into the Hall based on regular season stats.

Edited by Beketov

Still a great career none the less imo. And you don't need to apologise, in hindsight rolling Power to upgrade upgrade the D may of been the better play, but I'd also rather see a quality member invested in a competing team instead of wasting on a rebuilding club or even himself playing back up.

Besides were totally going to win one together in Toronto and make up for it anyway. :P