A view into the past

Beketov

• Commissioner

As we mark this, our 10th birthday, in the VHL I decided to go back and see what things USED to look like back when the league first opened. With the help of a Website called the WayBack Machine it's possible to look back on what sites looked like on any given day that they were archived so I did that for the original VHL link.

Sadly we do not have a snapshot of the ORIGINAL design; the first archive taken however is still very early: October 11th, 2007 to be exact. Some teams had already moved at this point and a few of the images (the banner is the obvious one) are broken but if you want to take a look into the VHL's past at what so few of us remember nowadays this is a nice way to do it. So, I present to you, the VHL as it original was, or at least as close to that as possible:

https://web.archive.org/web/20071011014830/http://z11.invisionfree.com/vhl/index.php

Personally I had alms forgotten about that original skin or how corner some of our old graphics and logos were. Sadly you can't dig into too many of the actual tops without an account (and I doubt the sign in page works anymore) but it's still interesting to see where this whole thing came from. Especially fun is that it shows the accounts that were active when the snapshot was taken. One of note that I've noticed is @Quik (not in the original one posted as I scrolled through a bit but I saw him somewhere) who recently re-joined our ranks. Aside from him though, I don't see any names that are still around.

You can also click the "112 Captures" link at the top if you want to see other dates. It was capturing straight through to November of last year when the link died (not consistently but still) so it's a fun little trip through time.

Edited by Beketov

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

I like it. The most recently created player, now one of the earliest Hall of Famers 

You can also see (sadly again it didn't archive the actual posts) that the last game simmed was the final game of the Season 1 playoffs where Vasteras defeated Calgary for the cup.

• Commissioner
Just now, eaglesfan036 said:

@Kendrick you had a media spot called VHL Inspirations on May 2008, but it's not loading for some reason :(

Sadly this site is more designed for major websites (check out early apple sites, it's hilarious) so it doesn't archive every page on things that don't get a ton of views like the VHL. Works great for seeing the main page but individual posts rarely work.

2 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

@Kendrick you had a media spot called VHL Inspirations on May 2008, but it's not loading for some reason :(

I actually don't remember what it was really about though