VHL 10th Anniversary Celebration Begins!- Favorite Memory Day 2

Smarch

Trying to go in chronological order, my next VHL memory would be bouncing around from Amstel to Toronto to Seattle and finally Helsinki in a span of like 5 seasons. I stayed on with Helsinki in Season 6 and being led by t he likes of brooks with Maxim Desny and co we won the first Continental Cup with the Titans. I retired my first player then after wanting to go out on top. So that was fun to be part of a first ever Cup win by a team. 

DAY 2 Memory:

Alright gonna out myself here, but why not do it now. Another favorite memory of mine is S2-S3 In Calgary. Had a great group of guys, I wasn't really feeling the VHL activity wise, but Slobo would write Media Spots for me to post to get TPE. Great times

My favourite memory is today. To know this thing is still alive and well is an incredible feeling. The sheer volatility of sim leagues around 2006-2008 meant that if you lasted beyond 6 months you were doing something very well.  And here we are 10 years later.

People come and people go, but the VHL was so very fortunate to have such a passionate and giving community who kept driving this thing forward - even during the rough stretches. I'd glad people are still deriving enjoyment from the league, makes the effort everyone put in worth it.

I'm still a fucking prick, but thought I'd just say something nice for once. Carry on ladies and gents :cheers:

19 minutes ago, Smarch said:

DAY 2 Memory:

Alright gonna out myself here, but why not do it now. Another favorite memory of mine is S2-S3 In Calgary. Had a great group of guys, I wasn't really feeling the VHL activity wise, but Slobo would write Media Spots for me to post to get TPE. Great times

i think we all figured slobo wrote MS' for people for awhile there :P i mean the players from around that era figured. man you were apart of some rigging teams in the early days smarchy. @scotty rigging Season 1 for Vasteras. slobo posting MS' for his inactives 

Just now, TheLastOlympian07 said:

i think we all figured slobo wrote MS' for people for awhile there :P i mean the players from around that era figured. man you were apart of some rigging teams in the early days smarchy. @scotty rigging Season 1 for Vasteras. slobo posting MS' for his inactives 

You don't even know half the shaddy shit I know from the early days till when sterling finally took over 

11 minutes ago, Knight said:

My favourite memory is today. To know this thing is still alive and well is an incredible feeling. The sheer volatility of sim leagues around 2006-2008 meant that if you lasted beyond 6 months you were doing something very well.  And here we are 10 years later.

People come and people go, but the VHL was so very fortunate to have such a passionate and giving community who kept driving this thing forward - even during the rough stretches. I'd glad people are still deriving enjoyment from the league, makes the effort everyone put in worth it.

I'm still a fucking prick, but thought I'd just say something nice for once. Carry on ladies and gents :cheers:

banned

• Commissioner
32 minutes ago, Smarch said:

You don't even know half the shaddy shit I know from the early days till when sterling finally took over 

Yet I'm the only person who's ever received a season long ban :P

It is amazing actually how much shit went on behind the scenes back in the day. Our activity levels may not be as insanely high as they once were (let's be honest, we're all much older with much less free time now) but at least our morals have come a long way.

When Slobo, Mcleod, Beukeboom, Funk brothers, @tfong, RawEnergy and Van Urho partnered with myself to win the S10 Cup with the Riga Reign. Posting this makes me really miss the Funk bothers as well. Not to mention we had one of the most deadliest blueline groups in VHL history. Not many are left at this site from that S10 squad.

1 hour ago, Smarch said:

DAY 2 Memory:

I remember writing some as well hahaha

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

you dirty bastard 

I fully believe all the corruption back in the day is why so few leagues survived very long. Simmers almost always cheated for their teams, people wrote MS' for other people and ripped sigs like it was going out of style. The leagues would fold in a season or two and then you'd recycle shit you had done before into the new leagues. The VHL probably survived it all because we all matured around that time and stopped fucking around with the rules so much.

• Head Moderator
19 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

When Slobo, Mcleod, Beukeboom, Funk brothers, @tfong, RawEnergy and Van Urho partnered with myself to win the S10 Cup with the Riga Reign. Posting this makes me really miss the Funk bothers as well. Not to mention we had one of the most deadliest blueline groups in VHL history. Not many are left at this site from that S10 squad.

Man and i think I was so ready to start my next player too by then lol. Only had 400 TPE when i ended lol.

20 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I fully believe all the corruption back in the day is why so few leagues survived very long. Simmers almost always cheated for their teams, people wrote MS' for other people and ripped sigs like it was going out of style. The leagues would fold in a season or two and then you'd recycle shit you had done before into the new leagues. The VHL probably survived it all because we all matured around that time and stopped fucking around with the rules so much.

It's certainly part of why I think the MSFL_R died, which was probably the other biggest league at the time. People bitched about every little thing, the commissioners (myself included) said "fuck it, I don't care, do your own thing then" because we weren't the most mature either, and everyone doing their own thing was not very beneficial to long-lasting success. I'll take maturity over activity every day of the week, and the VHL's stability was the main reason I wanted to come back here in S31 in the first place.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

Day 2 - My Next favorite memory was being named the GM of the VHLM Expansion Team Bratislava Watchmen. I got to choose the name, and basically start the team from scratch. My whole philosophy was to graduate as many alumni to the VHL, and in my first 3 seasons I did so at a really good pace. We also won a number of cups, but I'm most proud of the first gen members I had go to the VHL and then stick it out long term with the league.

4 minutes ago, STZ said:

Day 2 - My Next favorite memory was being named the GM of the VHLM Expansion Team Bratislava Watchmen. I got to choose the name, and basically start the team from scratch. My whole philosophy was to graduate as many alumni to the VHL, and in my first 3 seasons I did so at a really good pace. We also won a number of cups, but I'm most proud of the first gen members I had go to the VHL and then stick it out long term with the league.

:rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, Beketov said:

It was as corrupt as the Catholic church.