VHL 10th Anniversary Celebration Begins!- Favorite Memory Day 2

Smarch

After being recruited here by @Corco I already had a good SHL player and knew I wanted to create a good one here aswell. I know Toronto wanted to draft me at a higher position, but they though I could fall to sixth. Luckily it indeed happened and my first player here is still the highest tpe player ever drafted at 6 :)

• Commissioner

Continuing my trend of trying to do these in order is the next obvious one:

Though everything that happened immediately after it I would rather forget I would be remised if I did not mention one of my favourite memories from the VHL which is being the first player ever drafted in the league. Robert Sharpe, goaltender, first overall to the [doomed] Amstel Tijgers (no that isn't a typo). It was a terrible drafting decision to be honest since, you know, Scotty was the obvious choice but that's beyond the point. We're 55 seasons in, that's 55 different players that have ever been drafted first overall (56 if you count the S1 supplementary draft) but I'm the only one that can say I was the first player ever drafted. It hasn't happened since then (the Sharpe curse I call it) but that's beyond the point. Regardless of how good or bad the decision was to draft me first it's still one of my favourite memories that can't be taken away.

Winning the cup in S34 with the Helsinki Titans. Pressure was on to win with the deep and active roster after three disappointing playoff defeats to Riga. Did a fist pump IRL when we won.

8 minutes ago, Green said:

I know Toronto wanted to draft me at a higher position, but they though I could fall to sixth. Luckily it indeed happened and my first player here is still the highest tpe player ever drafted at 6 :)

and this is one of my WORST vhl memories

Being drafted 2nd overall by :vas: in S29 was pretty special to me; I was new to the league at the time but I had been there long enough to learn that Vasteras obviously didn't have the best rep, but that didn't matter to me. I liked the idea of going to a down and out franchise, and helping them get back on top. I'll admit, I was definitely given the GM job too early in S31, as my only previous experience was one season as a VHLM GM at that point, and I made some short-sighted trades along the way, but my end goal was always just to bring Vasty back to a level of respectability around the league.

My favourite memory at the moment has to be the Toronto 3peat. Winning 3 cups in a row and being part of a team with guys like Molholt, Stevo, CowboyInAmerica, etc etc etc was amazing. I never dreamed to help make VHL history with Zach Parechkin, never mind make one of the best two-way forwards ever in the VHL. I believe he is likely going to be my peak player. :P

A VHLM sighting! Season 32 was fun - Ottawa had the first three picks, and 7 of the first 11, in the draft. Nobody else really stood a chance... until Brampton and Toast's goalie Smyl had an upset for the ages in the playoffs, leading the way for my European Conference champion Oslo team to win it all. Still my only VHLM championship, and strangely Oslo's most recent championship to date.

Watching my first Player, Phil Gerrard, get drafted. I was on msn messenger and @Sandro @gregreg and @CoachReilly (Assistants and GM of DABEARS group messaged me and wanted to know if I was cool with becoming a Bear. I couldn't believe that three random people on the internet just talked to one another like old friends, and included me and I somehow felt part of it. That was the moment I knew the VHL had a special community

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Watching my first Player, Phil Gerrard, get drafted. I was on msn messenger and @Sandro @gregreg and @CoachReilly (Assistants and GM of DABEARS group messaged me and wanted to know if I was cool with becoming a Bear. I couldn't believe that three random people on the internet just talked to one another like old friends, and included me and I somehow felt part of it. That was the moment I knew the VHL had a special community

Man, the amount of former VHLers I had on MSN was crazy

3 minutes ago, Molholt said:

I drafted Zach Parechkin, which was one of the first steps of starting the league's only three-peat, that I GM'd.

I really hope all seven days are just you talking about different parts of the three-peat.

Besides getting to know some great guys(right back at you @der meister ) , another of my favorite memories is listening to the clusterfuck podcast. Jesus christ, that was long. It was also when I started doing GFX that I considered funny, mainly in response to podcasts. They typically were not.

1686405_w1.png

OK, I thought this one was actually amusing....

laichblind.png

Not going in any kind of order with my memories lol

I remember when I signed in Calgary with Bailey for the S19 season. It was kinda weird, since I had never gone to FA before with any of my players, and then the team loaded up with signing the 3 biggest names in FA with me, Suave and Dawson. It was also weird because I had actually been hoping to make the switch back to forward for one final season before pretty much going inactive. @Knight nixed that idea, but I guess it worked out for the best. Bailey had his best season as a D-man, picking up a couple of individual awards, and the team pretty much sleepwalked through the playoffs en route to a Finals sweep. That was a great season, with a bunch of great members including @JardyB10 @Victor and @Zero. That was probably one of my most fun seasons in the league!

• Commissioner
36 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Since this is my first week one of the highlights would be when I won the most likes in a day award. Only award I've gotten so far!

Don't worry, you're well on your way to beating me and I've been around since season 1.

• Commissioner
17 minutes ago, Evans said:

That time I convinced the league to move locker rooms to the top of the page because it would increase activity in them and then I went inactive. 

I still resent that decision.