Claimed: Two-Team Stars on All-Time Rosters [1/2]

nbhc_10th_anniversary_logo.png

The All-Time Tournament Question

I’m extremely excited about the upcoming 10th Anniversary All-Time Tournament, mostly because I’m a fan of history – how many other times are you going to be able to see these legends on the ice at the same time? It should be a fun activity that truly showcases how far the VHL has come in 10 years, as well as the people that put their time and effort into making this a great league.

But selecting the best players from each franchise does have a rub: How do you select which team players who starred for multiple franchises should play for? I decided to take a look at some of the bigger questions and Hall of Famers that may be tough to decide for the selection committee.

:sto: C Scotty Campbell: Vasteras/Stockholm (S1-S3) over Seattle (S4-S6)

The first question may also be the biggest: Who get the rights to VHL world beater and probably record holder forever Scotty Campbell? He was the first ever draft pick of the Vasteras franchise and won the league’s first championship as the team’s star. He won his most titles (2) with Seattle, and arguably had his two best seasons there before being dealt at the S6 deadline. He won an MVP with Toronto and almost led the franchise to its first title. If each had their way, they could have their own claim. But I’m going with Vasteras here, because being the star on the first championship team is too big to ignore.

:sea: C Alex McNeil: Seattle (S4-S6) over Avangard/Davos (S3-S4, S6)

The first Hall of Famer to have a tie in overall service time does so in an odd way – playing for Seattle and Avangard each for part of three seasons. After coming up through the ranks with Toronto, McNeil was dealt away to Avangard before the start of Season 3. Though experiencing a breakout year there, he was then dealt to Seattle partway through Season 4, where he experienced his most success, winning two titles and a Delvecchio Trophy in Season 5. He was then dealt back to Avangard partway through Season 6, but struggled again while there. Although he technically had more games played for Avangard, McNeil should clearly be considered a Seattle legend.

:hel: RW Cam Fowler: Helsinki (S22-24) over Seattle (S18-21)

Cam Fowler is one of the best test cases to see what should matter more: longevity on a team or personal success. Fowler started his career with the Bears as a second round pick, but he shortly worked his way up through the ranks to be one of the best players from an otherwise lackluster draft – fellow Bear Markus Strauss is the only other Hall of Famer selected that year. Season 21 was his breakout, where Fowler won his only Boulet Trophy in his final season with the team. It was in Helsinki where he saw his greatest success though, winning three personal trophies (two Kostkas and a Messier) as well as the Season 22 Continental Cup. For that reason, I see him more as a Helsinki legend than Seattle.

:dav: C Leeroy Jenkins: Davos (S23-25) over… everyone else

Jenkins might be my favorite case of all: What do you do with the player that hopped around chasing titles? Jenkins played only three seasons with the team that drafted him, but he only then played two seasons with Helsinki, one with Seattle, one with New York, then a split Helsinki/Calgary season before retiring. He retired with the most titles (5) of any player ever – on four different teams - and as a first ballot Hall of Famer, he has to fit somewhere. I’m giving it to Davos on service time and winning two titles there alone, though it could be fun to see each team make a case, especially given that a lot of his individual success occurred in Helsinki.

:cal: G Hans Wingate: Calgary (S43-46) over Toronto (S48-50)

As part of the only threepeat in VHL history, it’s hard to argue that Hans Wingate wasn’t a star in Toronto – with the team, he also won an MVP, a Most Outstanding Player, a Top Goalie (should have been two), and a Playoff MVP. By individual measures of success, he was an overall better player than when he came up from the bottom in Calgary. But here’s the rub: He’s not the only major goaltender in Toronto franchise history, where he competes with the likes of most notably Aidan Shaw and Remy LeBeau. Calgary, meanwhile, doesn’t have a single Hall of Fame goalie to its name, and the goalies when it won titles (Max Weinstein, Demetrjusz Dudek, Zach Voss, Joey Clarence, and Marius Henchoz) were solid, but not All-Time Team level. I could see the founders assigning Wingate to Calgary for competition purposes as much as anything else.

• TheLastOlympian07 changed the title to Two-Team Stars on All-Time Rosters [1/2]
  • Corco changed the title to Claimed: Two-Team Stars on All-Time Rosters [1/2]
  • 2 weeks later...