VHL 10th Anniversary Celebration Begins!- Favorite Memory Day 1

Smarch

My Favourite memory was definitely when I created Pablo Escabar. He had the best Career any of my players ever have  and probably ever will.  Unfortunately I killed his amazing career very early with person life problems.  I still think back to how great the Bears were and how great the group of guys were. 

Pretty excited for Laflamme to now be apart of the Bears Franchise.  

One of my favorite memories goes back to the day I created Vladimir Boomchenko. He wasn't the best player I've had obviously, but it was the start of my time here in the VHL and I'd like to think I've contributed a little bit to the league and have made some friends that I otherwise would never have known. I had a difficult time not long after creating Boomchenko, but it was eased a little by the thoughts and messages from guys I'd only recently "met". I still appreciate the support from back then.

11 hours ago, Beketov said:

Though it's completely unnecessary I'm going to do my best to write these memories in the order they occured, let's see if I can manage haha.

Obviously the earliest one is simply the first day of the VHL, probably not many of us left that remember it. I was in a league being run by Zimmers at the time (and everyone was pretty sure he was rigging like mad) when I saw a post go up stating that the guys behind the ESHL (and the later failed OHL) had just opened a new league. I popped over expecting the usual affair and saw the VHL for the first time. It had a different feel to it for sure. You have to remember that until this point using NHL games as the sim engine was the norm so STHS was a huge step forward and it showed with just how popular the league was from the get go. I don't know how many members we got that first day but it was absolutely huge. It's hard to even pin it down to an exact memory but just the overall feel of the league when it was still fresh for everyone (and there were a fuck ton of us) is impossible to put into words. Was an absolutely fantastic day that a I still remember 10 years later.

I joined the ESHL just in time to work really hard get drafted and have the league fold early in my rookie season.  My first best memory of the VHL is lurking the forums to make sure the league wouldn't fold right away.  Eventually making my player part of the S3 draft class starting me down the road that was VHL.

So many!

- Jardy Bunclewirth getting claimed on waivers by @Strtlght to the Toledo Scorpions.

- Getting drafted 18th overall by Matt Bentz to what became a boss ass Wranglers team. Mikka Virkkunen, J.D. Stormwall, Lars Berger (of the failed NY Bergertime regime), Matthew Gunnarsson, Alex Sauve, and Demetriusz Dudek as our core. And of course the legends that are Juha Ikonen and Hiro @Renomitsu. Won the Cup in S18 for the first time in forever, Bunclewirth put up Stolzschweiger-like rookie numbers, then went full Miami Heat in S19 by signing the league's top three defencemen (Sauve, Ryley Dawson, and Matt Bailey @Quik), as well as trading for Zach Voss when Dudek ditched.

- Also in S19, GM'ing the Minot Gladiators to a Founder's Cup with a team of future first-gen all-stars, including @diamond_ace, @Frank, @Spangle, I think @mutigers, and of course @irishbucsfan. Among others. I think Alejandro Messi and Olivier Bergstrom might still come by here now and then from, but I forget their usernames.

- I can't not mention the abacus thread with @The Q.

- Making CAL G as a gag to put a CPU in the Hall of Fame and actually succeeding.

And many more. I could keep going but I think I have to start playoffs now.

6 hours ago, boubabi said:

My best memory would be Stockholm's playoff push in S47 were the hype was at his maximum

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That was a good one especially when you guys lost.

Light and Stockholm both coming out better as a result of the separation tho

• Smarch locked this topic
  • Smarch unlocked this topic
13 hours ago, Corco said:

make a player already damn it :P

I have a player: Vaclav Hrdina, the great Czech bust, who in no way has followed in the footsteps of his successful NHL father, Jan Hrdina.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:46 AM, The Trollfecta said:

One of my better favorite memories was the S43 Seattle Bears. Where we shocked the VHL and the team walked into the Finals with ease. Then we would go on to face a tough opponent in the Cologne Express and it was a great series.

@Bushitroll was the co-mvp

@Phil was the stud defender

@Higgins was the GM and one of our best scorers

@Molholt was just there as the top line center

@Corco was just being corco

@Laflamme was the come up

@Wasty was the underrated Wolfgang Strauß

@Boomcheck had Jakub Rhinehart

@Lunaro the almost forgotten Nicklas Karlsson

And anyone else I may have forgotten.

my fav memory too. i think that was my first sim league championship

Getting Drafted with my first player Ethan Osborne, first overall to the Helsinki Titans. It was then when @Higgins created a monster, that hardballin son of a bitch. I was huge into the league right from the start, but after being the first First Generation Player ever to go #1 I was just hooked completely.

One of my favourite VHL memories was my first VHL Entry Draft! With Travis Boychuk, being drafted to the Calgary Wranglers. That team wouldn't go on to win any cups, but I had a great ride playing with guys like Thomas Landry, Martin Brookside, and many others.

When I started just after @Victor did and we both made goalies and I thought I would just smash him since I was like @Kendrick with collecting TPE before here and was top TPE earner in every league I was in. But after doing it in football leagues for so long and running leagues I burnt out and real life caught up with me. Now I can make 6-700 TPE and I get burnt out and walk away, lol.

• Smarch unlocked this topic