VHL 10th Anniversary Celebration Begins!- Favorite Memory Day 1

Smarch

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

how did i forget about you! Miller was a beast that season. 

My only player to ever get two cups. That Calgary team definitely helped out. Probably one of the better locker rooms I have ever been a part of.

The S12 draft, which my first player was a part of. The draft was super hype with the big three that Quik mentioned above, but there were some solid players late in the first (including myself) and into the second round. Plus the draft was done live via podcast which may not seem like such a big thing nowadays with podcasts being more prevalent, but back then it was a pretty big deal.

I got drafted with my first ever VHL player back in S43 draft, 8th overall even, so that was nice.  Also won a cup 4 seasons later with the team that drafted me, so that whole ride was and is still one of my favorite moments!

Honestly there is so many VHL memories for me that it's almost impossible to choose just one. I think this one is the perfect example of why I have been so passionate about a sim hockey forum for so long.

Flashback to September of 2013, I was a baby-faced commissioner having just been added to the blue team by @Victor in August to join him and @JardyB10. Little did I know that less than a month into the new position on the blue team the VHL would go offline. At the time we were hosting our SMF forum on a privately purchased server, and through the months prior to the site going down there had been multiple accounts of the site going down for short periods of time, usually less than 12 hours at a time, so it was not unusual for the league to be inaccessible. Usually @sterling would contact the host company and get the issue fixed. However, this time in September of 2013 it was a different story. The site wasn't coming back this time, the host company essentially terminated the website due to overages in data usage.

How did the VHL use such vast amount of data is a question that should come to mind at this point. We never knew for sure what happened, but it has been speculated that someone DDOS'd the server, putting stress on the host server. It was enough that they didn't want us back as it was likely affecting other customers. We never will know why or who would do this, but as you all know the story of the VHL did not end that day.

When the SMF forum would go down, some older members would look to the old invisionfree forum that was still up to ask and receive updates on why the VHL was down. Thank the sim gods for this, because it allowed us to connect and communicate for the future of the league. I don't remember how long the site was offline, but if I recall it may have been over a full week. Luckily the host company sent sterling a backup of all our files on the server. Sterling sent me the backup files with all the information and this is where my all time favourite VHL memory begins.

I remember sitting in my dorm room in September at school with this fucking mess of backup files that looked like someone threw a grenade into it. Honestly I loved the league so much back then I spent all day and night trying to get the VHL online again from trial and error to googling tutorials on hosting, databases, SQL, HTML, coding shit, and god knows what else. Resources were limited, but eventually I managed to figure out how to get the VHL temporarily online. From that point I knew we had a chance at rescuing the VHL from a premature and sudden death. By this time some people probably lost faith that the league was coming back, I mean it was likely day ten or more of the VHL being offline. I purchased the forum we currently use now and posted a link to it on the old invisionfree forum to let people know we had a new home. Word spread quickly and the response was insane.

From top to bottom people were offering to volunteer time to transfer everything from the old forum to the new one. That's a lot of stuff from over 30 seasons of the VHL at the time. Player pages, updates, rules, rosters, awards, statistics, records trades, drafts, and more. There was so much data to transfer, and it was monotonous and time consuming work. With the volunteers working hard to transfer everything the beauty and history of the VHL was saved. If it wasn't for the community as a collective unit I guarantee this league would have died in September of 2013. 

Looking back it blows my mind that it was almost four years ago. There's too many people to tag that did work, but there's an old thread with people volunteering on this site, the oldest thread obviously. But if you check someone's join date and it is Septmeber of 2013 it's almost a guarantee that they were key factor in the VHL being here today. I've written about this before, but one last thank you to everyone in the community that helped rebuild the VHL and to everyone that has joined since, thank you. You've all made this community one of the best, tightknit and loyal on the internet, and I love you all for it.

One of my better favorite memories was the S43 Seattle Bears. Where we shocked the VHL and the team walked into the Finals with ease. Then we would go on to face a tough opponent in the Cologne Express and it was a great series.

@Bushitroll was the co-mvp

@Phil was the stud defender

@Higgins was the GM and one of our best scorers

@Molholt was just there as the top line center

@Corco was just being corco

@Laflamme was the come up

@Wasty was the underrated Wolfgang Strauß

@Boomcheck had Jakub Rhinehart

@Lunaro the almost forgotten Nicklas Karlsson

And anyone else I may have forgotten.

Just now, The Trollfecta said:

One of my better favorite memories was the S43 Seattle Bears. Where we shocked the VHL and the team walked into the Finals with ease. Then we would go on to face a tough opponent in the Cologne Express and it was a great series.

Where's the Love button?

1 minute ago, The Trollfecta said:

2 seasons worth of draft picks traded to Helsinki for fucking James Faraday lul. Luckily it worked out with a Cup for Seattle.

2 minutes ago, The Trollfecta said:

@R1c3Muncher (Samuelsson?) 

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Where's the Love button?

It shows a heart on the like button. But this was your first 2 time cup winning player. Big accomplishment for you bud.

5 minutes ago, Higgins said:

2 seasons worth of draft picks traded to Helsinki for fucking James Faraday lul. Luckily it worked out with a Cup for Seattle.

@Bushitroll was a mad genius. His fail proof plan of leaving lead to his team winning a cup again.

4 minutes ago, Corco said:

@R1c3Muncher (Samuelsson?) 

My brain is a little fuzzy but maybe?

1 hour ago, Jonessee27 said:

My first season here after many years of football leagues was season 34. I went to the Yukon Rush tenth overall and that team was absolutely loaded. It was a ton of fun and we won the Cup that year, to this day my only championship in this league. 

Yukon2Gud. 

Was I your GM for that?  I am the coiner of that phrase :3

Real quick, real quick:

-S2 Continetal Cup win against Vasteras after losing to Vasteras in the S1 finals during the 69-3 season.

-Banning @Phil

-Banning those stupid star wars twats

-Pranking the VHL for April Fool's when @JardyB10 first started simming (making people think he raged quit)

-Season 14 Continental Cup with New York after being drafted by NY in Season 10 (the short-bus AKA the team no one wanted to play for)

3 hours ago, Jonessee27 said:

My first season here after many years of football leagues was season 34. I went to the Yukon Rush tenth overall and that team was absolutely loaded. It was a ton of fun and we won the Cup that year, to this day my only championship in this league. 

Yukon2Gud. 

We were pretty beastly that year. My how time flies since that season. #back2backcups

My favorite memory is winning the Founder's Cup as GM of the Ottawa Lynx in S35, with the S39 Founder's Cup in second place. I know I'm a little odd to put my VHLM titles above my Continental Cup I GM'd in Riga, but that one felt more like a relief to finally win one.

I can remember sitting in my cube at my internship planning that S35 team 2 seasons in advance after taking @Kendrick's advice and drafting @Jamie's player Brennan McQueen in the 2nd round. I remember going over different line ups and free agents and coming away with a team that was better than anticipated, such as snagging VHLM superstar Jeevan Samuelsson. In the end, that team was pretty stacked with Robin Gow, Robert Gow III, Tom Slaughter, Brennan McQueen, Connor Low, Ron World Peace, and Mike Szatkowski Jr.

S39 was fun just because we somehow won everything in spite of @Spangle 's goalie Soren Douffett posting something like a .880 sv % throughout the season and the playoffs.

One of my favourite memories has to be joining the Stockholm Vikings with my goalie, Blake Campbell. Though I did end up leaving for Free Agency which led to an Aidan Shaw and Championship, it never was an easy moving leaving @boubabi and the rest behind. Either way, my times in Stockholm got a special place in my VHL heart.