VHL 10th Anniversary Celebration Begins!- Favorite Memory Day 1

Smarch

It's about to start ladies and gentlemen. As per the post from the announcement regarding the anniversary, this thread will be used for members to tell us their best of favorite VHL memory from over the years. After you post in the thread don't forget to tag your post in your update thread for 1 TPE. Come Monday of next week, i'll post a thread with the people that are eligible for the +3 uncapped TPE and Donation reward for posting in all seven days of memories.

So VHL get at it and let us know your favorite VHL memory from years past. *New Members can ask for help, or look around the board and make something their favorite memories. 

One of my favorite memories, although I wasn't super active was Scotty rigging the finals in Season 1 to allow us to win in Vasteras, which hilariously enough possibly started the curse for a cup drought cause of scottys cheating 

One of my earliest and favorite VHL memories is being drafted by Helsinki with Till Lindemann [shameless plug for this week's podcast]. I had a good reputation from the SHL but wanted to be judged here by my own merits, and was drafted 4th overall with a shutdown defender. Pretty cool. 

My first draft here, S33, I was super prepared to go third overall to Toronto. Had talked with Sandro for over a month and everything was good. Draft day comes and... apparently Boom didn't want to go to Seattle, so I was selected second overall, sight unseen. Seattle was a cool place to end up, but was an early reminder that randomness happens a lot in the VHL.

It was S21 or S22 - I was a free agent with Phil Gerrard. I was debating staying in Seattle, until I got a group Skype call. It had at least 6 people from Toronto calling to stroke my ego and convince me that I wanted to be in Toronto. The only person that didn't was @sterling.

haha jokes, he was on the call too. 

Even though it was unsuccessful and pushed Vasteras back a few seasons, my favorite memory was probably competing with Vasteras in S32. I made a few moves in the offseason and brought in some free agents; the team actually had a chance at contending; we had Jarvis Baldwin, CAL G, Boomchenko, Klaus Muller, Nikolai Chershenko, etc. Even though we lost in the first round to Helsinki in seven games, I definitely consider that whole season to be one of my favorites.

• Commissioner

Though it's completely unnecessary I'm going to do my best to write these memories in the order they occured, let's see if I can manage haha.

Obviously the earliest one is simply the first day of the VHL, probably not many of us left that remember it. I was in a league being run by Zimmers at the time (and everyone was pretty sure he was rigging like mad) when I saw a post go up stating that the guys behind the ESHL (and the later failed OHL) had just opened a new league. I popped over expecting the usual affair and saw the VHL for the first time. It had a different feel to it for sure. You have to remember that until this point using NHL games as the sim engine was the norm so STHS was a huge step forward and it showed with just how popular the league was from the get go. I don't know how many members we got that first day but it was absolutely huge. It's hard to even pin it down to an exact memory but just the overall feel of the league when it was still fresh for everyone (and there were a fuck ton of us) is impossible to put into words. Was an absolutely fantastic day that a I still remember 10 years later.

It's hard to pick out a favorite memory.  Probably the first that comes to mind is winning my first Continental Cup in S30 with Calgary.  Probably one of my favorite teams that I've been on - literally everyone on that team was active and a significant member, it was a great LR to be a part of and it was a really good team.  Still one of the best defenses in league history IMO - Boomchenko, Sullivan, Müller, and Gow is just a great group.

I think one of my early memories has to be being drafted by Calgary in S1 only for them to release me like 2 hours after the draft because i wasnt active. Came back and Slobo offered me a contract which was like 500K per year for 2 years. Amstel offered me a 2 year contract for 2.5 mil a year so I took that one and I missed out on a dynasty because i chose more money :lol: always makes me laugh at what could have been if i joined Calgary

Day 1:

The first time I visited to the VHL I was intimidated by the whole sim league experience and left. It wasnt until I tried a different league that I dared to join here, it really felt elitist :)

Edited by Green

• Smarch changed the title to VHL 10th Anniversary Celebration Begins!- Favorite Memory Day 1

Memory #1, 7/17: My first player was a Catalan nationalist, and it was a pretty great experience joining the league to have people who actually paid attention to the narrative I was laying out for him along the way and comment on the direction I was taking with him.

While I went inactive on his career, I quite enjoyed the experience I had with everyone and the way people were treating me, and it's a big part of why I eventually came back. Twice.

Edited by Eggy216

• Commissioner
39 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

I think one of my early memories has to be being drafted by Calgary in S1 only for them to release me like 2 hours after the draft because i wasnt active. Came back and Slobo offered me a contract which was like 500K per year for 2 years. Amstel offered me a 2 year contract for 2.5 mil a year so I took that one and I missed out on a dynasty because i chose more money :lol: always makes me laugh at what could have been if i joined Calgary

That Amstel Dynasty tho :P

My favorite VHL moment was Calgary's cup run in S44. My favorite moment might not have actually been winning the cup, but when we just absolutely smacked down Quebec after a season of trash talking from Kesler and Da Trifecta (I would tag them but I have no idea what their current usernames are, someone please tag them). 

It only took us five games to beat Quebec, who most expected to win, and just take a look at this glorious thread. We beat them 6-0 in the final game and thoroughly outshot them.

We had @CowboyinAmerica with WinGod and the rivalry with DT's goalie who I think wound up retiring lol

We had @Ball back when he was active, miss him

We had @Cuffy, the long time Wrangler loyalist

We had @Jala, who is one of my favorite members for making @boubabi very upset

We had @philthethrill81, who gave us a great depth player in Rami Jacobbssen

We had @Caillean when she was actually active with Jaime Hill

We had @Munk in our locker room for some reason

Also  Ithink we had @mpclardy too :3

That was such a fun year. Probably the most active team I've been on, dominated Quebec after all that trash talking, and got my first and only cup as GM :)

One of my favourite memories was starting the Seattle franchise back in the first season. Of course the name was quickly switched from the Seattle Everblades to the Seattle Bears, I even had my first worst trade of my GM career when I traded Alex Watson to Calgary for Cody Banks. Banks would go inactive and Scott Boulet would commit highway robbery with the trade for the Wranglers. A short while after I joined that same Calgary team in Free Agency with @sterling and Slobo to win a Continental Cup and eventually retire Joey Kendrick into the Hall-of-Fame.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

My favorite VHL moment was Calgary's cup run in S44. My favorite moment might not have actually been winning the cup, but when we just absolutely smacked down Quebec after a season of trash talking from Kesler and Da Trifecta (I would tag them but I have no idea what their current usernames are, someone please tag them). 

It only took us five games to beat Quebec, who most expected to win, and just take a look at this glorious thread. We beat them 6-0 in the final game and thoroughly outshot them.

We had @CowboyinAmerica with WinGod and the rivalry with DT's goalie who I think wound up retiring lol

We had @Ball back when he was active, miss him

We had @Cuffy, the long time Wrangler loyalist

We had @Jala, who is one of my favorite members for making @boubabi very upset

We had @philthethrill81, who gave us a great depth player in Rami Jacobbssen

We had @Caillean when she was actually active with Jaime Hill

We had @Munk in our locker room for some reason

Also  Ithink we had @mpclardy too :3

That was such a fun year. Probably the most active team I've been on, dominated Quebec after all that trash talking, and got my first and only cup as GM :)

That was the first cup team I was on with Miller, have you already forgotten about me :( 

One of my favourite memories is definitely the arms race between Gartner, De La Soul and me in the S12 Draft. Up to that point, the highest draft eligible TPE was around 160. It was crazy that 3 of us had gone above 250. I remember everyone thinking Gartner was going 1st, then the trade between Helsinki and Toronto and then going first. Part of that was behind the scenes, because Zero didn't want to GM anymore, so I also got my chance to be a GM. I wasn't the greatest GM, and probably wasted draft picks buying to keep an aging roster competitive, but it was definitely fun running that team and the locker room was great too.