Claimed: Quill speaks up [1/2]

A lot has been written the last few days regarding the call up of center Peter Quill from the VHLM’s Oslo Storm to the VHL’s HC Davos Dynamo. So far, there have been some ramblings and discussion, but an official statement from Peter Quill had not been released yet. Today he will break the silence to speak up and let this part of his career be behind him.

b6skhk8e5jmlbggugezr.jpg

“I am not the most gifted hockey player in the world, in fact, if you noticed how I was playing last season, I could barely stand on these skates.  There is however one thing I strive for and that is to get the most of my career. While there were people saying the move to the VHL would hinder my development, in terms of ice time and training this might indeed be true, but in the long run, I don’t think it would make a lot of difference. After being drafted, the HC Davos Dynamo manager immediately messaged me asking if I was interested in starting the season in Davos. While intrigued by his offer, I decided to start the season in the minors and work towards a nice starting point in terms of training hours. The achievement tracker was something I intended to max before being moving from Norway to Switzerland, but recent events changed my mind about it.

Davos decided not to acquire help for their second line center position, showing their confidence in me and I felt if I would benefit from playing with better players around me. It is more fun to have some hard games, then to easily cruise to victory. With both me and the Storms first line center being equal in terms of training hours, I spoke up about two weeks ago in the locker room, asking if we could switch some wingers around, to give me someone on my side who wasn’t a total scrub. Because playing with guys like Spicey and VHLM Forever, it definitely lowered my assist total for the season.

When the management checked with me again they offered to come up already if I wanted to, and after I felt ignored (as my message had been read, but had no replies) I felt to go with my gut feeling and go with the franchise that appreciated me most and that was Davos. Even though the transition is hard and I am not scoring much points, I am glad I made this move. Because I could have taken an easy cup win in the VHLM, or I could try to help my new team cause an upset in the VHL Playoffs.

While the last scenario might seem unlikely as we look to be outclassed by both Stockholm and Helsinki it still is a great challenge and that’s what I like the most. It is not always about winning, fun is the most vital part and that’s why I decided to take upon the offer to be called up. I love that I can play in Gretzky’s shadow, he is the #1 center in this team and me being here helps him rests at times, only to become even more valuable in the minutes he is in. I am Davos bound and love it.”

Words: 542 - For Quill

Edited by Green

Review

Nice read about your thoughts and how you feel on the whole situation. I believe it was blown out of proportion and not because I am on Davos. I would have thought the same if i was on say Toronto. I just think the VHLM graduating you should be a win because that is what the league is for. Two other players got called up and no one blinked an eye. Weird.

• Corco changed the title to Claimed: Quill speaks up [1/2]