Claimed: Should the VHL Reset? - League wide fantasy draft [1/2]

League Wide Draft???

Image result for fantasy snake draft

You hear a lot of concerning statements lately like, "Parity in the VHL is dead," or "The league is at one of its lowest activity levels ever." Perhaps what this league needs to spur activity is a complete shakeup? I'm not even saying I am behind this idea or anything, but I think it is something interesting that is worth discussing. What if the league had a fantasy draft, with each team losing their current players to the draft pool, with a randomly determined snake draft order? This shakeup would certainly draw a ton of attention and interest, as it would change the entire dynamic of the league. Teams just starting their rebuild would be all for it, while teams with players in their prime or just entering competing would probably be upset. Let's take a look at how a league wide draft would look.

1) Drafting to compete or Drafting Young?

This would be my main concern with holding a league wide draft. Some teams would draft players on veteran and prime contracts looking to win now, while other teams would draft young looking towards the future. With the mixture of draft strategies, it seems as though the cyclical nature and lack of parity could continue. 

2) Picks 1 and 20 or Picks 10 and 11?

In order to be fair, the draft would have to be a snake draft. Would those in extreme drafting positions get screwed? For example, the team with pick 1 could obviously pick who they deem to be the league's best player, perhaps a skater, and then have pick 20 and not have a good starting goalie available. And would a team with picks 10 and 11 be able to have enough top-end talent to compete with those with high picks?

3) Would There Be Enough Goalies?

Looking at the VHL rosters, every team either has a legitimate starting caliber goalie already or a prospect coming up the pipelines. So going back to my question above, I don't think draft position would screw anyone out of a goalie, which is a good thing. It seems the two player rule has resulted in the league never having a shortage of goalies. With a surplus of goalies, it would be interesting to see how goalies are value and where they would be selected in the draft. 

4) Should Teams Be Allowed to Trade Draft Picks in the Draft?

Let's say for example, a team with picks 1 and 20 wants to move up for a pick around pick 15 or so. Should they be allowed to package picks 20 and 21 in order to move up to the 15th pick? Doing so could make for even more draft day interest, and I'm not sure how that would effect parity. One thing is for sure, I don't think teams should be allowed to trade future picks in this hypothetical league wide draft situation. 

This is just an interesting thought I had to shake up the league, and I'm not even sure that I am for it. But it is an interesting thought so I figured I would share. Let me know your thoughts below!

Edited by eaglesfan036

Review:

I wouldn't be for it, but that's because I think I have an up and coming team, I guess.

Although, I wouldn't be against doing some kind of fun mock in the GM Forum...... maybe it could be a league-wide event where people can do a mock draft prediction for a league-wide fantasy draft. 1 TPE for each correct, potentially earning a bunch of TPE with how many rounds there would be.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Should the VHL Reset? - League wide fantasy draft [1/2]