The parity in VHL is dead? [1/2]

1497555007704-phil-kessel-shruggy.jpeg

*The parity in VHL?*

The S55 off-season wasn't the most exciting thing I've seen in the VHL, but I must say that this mid-season is really boring as hell. But that happens in every league and I'm sure things will change when the trade deadline comes. Another thing why I lost my step is my IRL job: I had hard two weeks following by being drunk as fuck in the Līgo event (and still sitting in the VHL while being drunk, lol) and even now when the things cleared and I'm having more time for the sim league, I'm still strugling to find a relevant topic for 6 TPE. But I thin I found something interesting to talk about...like the parity. And that's not about the VHLM league - I found out an interesting fact about the big league: before S46 we had only two teams that managed to make a two-peat:

1. Calgary, S18-19; @Matt was a GM

2. Davos, S24-25; @Frank was a GM.

What we have now?

1. Helsinki, S45-46; @Will was a GM

2. Toronto, S48-50 (first three-peat in VHL history); @Molholt was a GM

3. New York; S52-53; @Devise was and still is a GM

Given that New York won the cup in S47 and Helsinki is our defending champs, we can come to a conclusion that these three latter teams just flat-out dominated the league from S45 with only Riga being able to have their season of fame in S51. Knowing that Helsinki is doing good in this season and they have a chance to pull the second two-peat for the first time in VHL history I can only say that something is happening with the parity in VHL. Why that is happening? There's not an accurate answer for this one, but we can make some guess, like

1. Good GM'ing

Well, that is obvious that you can dominate the league if you're a good GM. Apparently Draper, Molholt, Devise, @YEAH!stlemania (S47 champ) and @Higgins (S54 champ) were able to do both - assemble a great team and set a good strategy for the win.

2. Players joining these teams to win

I assume so of them really did that, but I don't think that was happening on a consistent basis. It's not like only Helsinki, Toronto and New York were the only contenders by that time and other teams had a shot at the cup as well.

3. STHS go home you're drunk/ Rigging,

Hey, I made a joke.

This article wasn't a complaint about the current situation in the VHL league and I don't think parity is fucked up completily. And I just needed 6 TPE for Krīgars. Although having only 4-5 contender teams is helping these aforementioned teams to reach their goals (Helsinki gains from it more than NY and Toronto were), but that's a question to other team GM's, including to hedgehog337 - why you're tanking? But these GM's wants to get their future stars from the draft so we can't blame them either. Meanwhile, Helsinki is looking for making a history by getting yet another cup. How sweet.

6 TPE goes to Krīgars

2 minutes ago, solas said:

There were also repeat champions in S2-S3 (Calgary) and S4-S5 (Seattle).  Although that could also be affected by being in the early seasons of the league.

Apparently I was blind about Seattle, but it remains to be seen why this list wasn't updated with the S3 championship.

Wonder if it has anything to do with not enough players to fill 10 teams out competitively? Top few teams hoard the talent and don't want to trade them/have no reason to. It feels like it has been forever since a top team has decided to rebuild and trade high tpe players. 

13 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Wonder if it has anything to do with not enough players to fill 10 teams out competitively? Top few teams hoard the talent and don't want to trade them/have no reason to. It feels like it has been forever since a top team has decided to rebuild and trade high tpe players. 

I'd say not as many high-TPE players in general, regardless of number of total players. Outside of the three S48 guys (Velvet, Kohler, Unassisted), there isn't a single player over 1000 TPE, and not even that many pushing 900. Weaker draft classes in S49, S51 and S52 mean that no teams have really had to have cap issues. (I'd argue possibly a function of the two-player system meaning that TPE isn't as concentrated, but that's an article for a different time.)

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

• DollarAndADream changed the title to The parity in VHL is dead? [1/2]