Claimed: A Struggling Martinov Spells Bad News for Wild

Guest daBenchwarmer

Guest daBenchwarmer

The Saskatoon Watcher

A Struggling Martinov Spells Bad News for Wild

Image result for saskatoon defenseman

Defenseman Emil Martinov (Left in blue) attempts to get past Oslo Storm's Elijah Mikaelson (Right in white)

It's not good news for the Saskatoon Wild. With the post-season just around the corner, the Saskatoon Wild remain 2nd in the VHLM with 37 points and a record of 17-11-3. They're a whopping 20 points behind the VHLM-leading Oslo Storm, who edged the Wild out in a 5-3 loss in their previous meeting. However, despite the meager record, the Wild have performed quite well against tough competition.

Despite the Wild's advances, all eyes are on Emil Martinov however. The projected Top 10 pick in the upcoming VHL Entry Draft has been struggling of lately, and as a result, the team has been going through some hardships as Martinov tries to get back to basics and resume his stellar play from the first half of the season. The defenseman up until this point in the season had been performing admirably. Taken in the 5th Round of the VHLM Dispersal Draft, Martinov was expected to be a heavy penalty killer for the Wild, only to blossom into a tough, 2nd pairing, defensive defenseman, who also had a bit of offensive output. Martinov ranks 2nd on the team in hits with 73, 2nd in points for defensemen, 1st in the team for shots blocked and 2nd in defensemen for assists.

It's safe to say Martinov is a critical part of the Wild's roster and playoff success, able to log heavy minute and shutdown the opposition's stars. However, his recent play is nothing like the Martinov of earlier in the season. He's sloppy in the offensive zone, and in his own zone, he coughs the puck up, and he appears hurt every time he skates hard. It's clear something is wrong with Martinov, and it's the Wild Coaching Staff's job to figure out what it is, and fix it. Quickly too since it won't be long before the post-season is upon the Wild, and they're fighting for the VHLM's championship.

"I just have to go back to basics." Martinov told media after this morning's optional skate in lieu of the game against the Yukon Rush. "I can't be going out there and trying to be fancy and making stuff happen. The chances will come, I need to realize this. What's happening is just I gotta simplify my game, play hard, block shots and listen to what my coach has to say. If I do this, then I'll be back to my regular self. Until then however, it sucks to be feeling like this. Not gonna lie."

With success in the regular season becoming more and more critical for the Wild, it will only be time before they falter without one of their more important defenseman, or Martinov returns to form, and helps propel the Wild into the post-season.