NHL's Expension Draft Thread

boubabi

According to Elliotte Friedman, Florida Panthers forward Jonathan Marchessault may be left exposed in the Expansion Draft due to protection issues. 

Marchessault had 30 goals and 21 assists last season and only comes with a $750,000 cap hit.

According to Pierre LeBrun, the Los Angeles Kings tried to convince the Vegas Golden Knights to take forward Marián Gáborík. 

The price was way to high for the Kings liking and everyone was sad.

The Calgary Flames have acquired goaltender Mike Smith from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for the rights to defenceman Brandon Hickey and a conditional 3rd round pick. 

Arizona retains 25% of Smith's salary.

The New Jersey Devils have acquired defenceman Mirco Müller and a 2017 5th round pick (143th overall) from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Boston's 2017 2nd round pick (49th overall) and Nashville's 2017 4th round pick (123rd overall).

@Higgins @Kendrick your toughts ?

1 hour ago, boubabi said:

The New Jersey Devils have acquired defenceman Mirco Müller and a 2017 5th round pick (143th overall) from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Boston's 2017 2nd round pick (49th overall) and Nashville's 2017 4th round pick (123rd overall).

I still had hope he would be a NHL defenseman in the future. He had his best season in the AHL and went to the west finals with the barracuda this season so he got some more experience.

That said it's probably best to move on as he seems to be nowhere near 1st round talent, if you can get a 2nd round pick for him so it's good news.

I like the Devils acquisition of Mueller. I mean, obviously it's a risky move, but he has a good ceiling as a two-way defender. Devils need that kind of a player, and Mueller could turn out that way. It would definitely give Schneider some help.

Regarding Mike Smith, I don't think he's good enough to solve Calgary's goalie issues. I think he is better than Chad Johnson, Karri Ramo, or Brian Elliott, but he's not going to magically solve their situation. I'm glad he's getting a chance elsewhere than Arizona though, so that's cool. Who knows, he could turn out into a Flames All-Star.

Beaulieu for as cheap as that is pretty jarring to me. He's a great defenseman. Good on Buffalo for snagging him at that price.

This expansion draft really is changing pricing for players that would otherwise likely be claimed by Las Vegas. It's going to be real interesting this week. The Canadiens are really giving up some quality players right now. Galchenyuk is likely on the move as well, so hopefully for them, Radulov re-signs.

26 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

I like the Devils acquisition of Mueller. I mean, obviously it's a risky move, but he has a good ceiling as a two-way defender. Devils need that kind of a player, and Mueller could turn out that way. It would definitely give Schneider some help.

Regarding Mike Smith, I don't think he's good enough to solve Calgary's goalie issues. I think he is better than Chad Johnson, Karri Ramo, or Brian Elliott, but he's not going to magically solve their situation. I'm glad he's getting a chance elsewhere than Arizona though, so that's cool. Who knows, he could turn out into a Flames All-Star.

Beaulieu for as cheap as that is pretty jarring to me. He's a great defenseman. Good on Buffalo for snagging him at that price.

This expansion draft really is changing pricing for players that would otherwise likely be claimed by Las Vegas. It's going to be real interesting this week. The Canadiens are really giving up some quality players right now. Galchenyuk is likely on the move as well, so hopefully for them, Radulov re-signs.

Smith got brought in for one thing be a stop gap, for now and hope a future starter outta 5goalies in their system emerges. 

5 hours ago, boubabi said:

I personally am not a huge fan of it. I don't think he'll be anything more than a 3rd line pairing.

10 minutes ago, boubabi said:

Beaulieu blows and the market for him was close to none. We pretty much got a free 3rd considering he wasnt protected.

Yeah from what I saw, he wasn't all that good. Like the Aaron Rome of 2017

14 minutes ago, boubabi said:

He has the skating ability, but plays good 1 time out of 5. We signed a d from eu that will probably bring as much on the table

Yeah, who didn't sign a EU defensemen this offseason haha

It seemed like more SHL guys came to the NHL this year than past years

1 minute ago, boubabi said:

Dunno why. Maybe size is less important now, dunno

Yeah that or maybe because of their contracts being entry-level sometimes, they don't have to be protected in the expansion draft

4 hours ago, boubabi said:

You know you have no D when you are protecting brandon manning and gudas ??????

Beaulieu over Bogosian ? Is bogosian that bad/injury prone?

He has been on the IR more than he has played in his career it seems haha

5 hours ago, boubabi said:

You know you have no D when you are protecting brandon manning and gudas ??????

Beaulieu over Bogosian ? Is bogosian that bad/injury prone?

I know he gets a bad rap because his hits can go over the line, but Gudas is actually a good hockey player. He's not some bum 6th/7th D.

The rest of our decent defensemen just aren't expansion eligible. Provorov is too young, and the prospects (Morin, Sanheim, Myers, and I guess you can throw Hagg in there) obviously haven't played in the NHL yet.

Most interesting thing for the Flyers is protecting Laughton over Raffl. Raffl is a solid "bottom-6" winger whose shown he can fill in fill in on a scoring line from time to time and not look out of place. Laughton really hasn't shown anything in the NHL yet, but he can play C, which Raffl doesn't. Would be interesting if LV took a flyer on Jordan Weal, who's currently a UFA. He had a good end of the year with us, but personally, I don't see him being a full time NHL player.