Claimed: Reinholdt Speaks

Devise

It's been a while since we heard from now VHL rookie forward, Verner Reinholdt. Reinholdt last spoke during a engaged World Cup run, mostly to discuss the World Cup but also to highlight his frustration on the Calgary Wranglers. Well low and behold, the season is underway, we are a few games in, and Verner Reinholdt is not a member of the Calgary Wranglers. Before the start of the season Reinholdt was traded to the up start Toronto Legion. Currently Verner has 7 points in 6 games played as he begins to settle in on a young Legion team. We caught up with Verner after the most recent game against the Cologne Express, just to talk about the off-season, his future with Toronto and everything else under the sun. 

What a wild off-season for me. We win a Bronze Medal with Team Scandinavia, and you know our goal was to just medal this past tournament. We did that. It was a tough sled, but we did it. But I was honestly thinking I wouldn't have much to look forward to. Then out of nowhere Austin Gow calls me and he says to me "Verner, do you really trust the process?" And I'm going to be @Frank with you here, I didn't at the time. It really felt like this guy just wanted to toy with his players till he figured out some semblance of a real plan. But in the heat of the moment I said "I mean sure, I guess." Not the most convincing of responses, but he powered through that. He simply said "you were traded to the Toronto Legion. Good day. TTP." So. I set my phone down, kind of a mix of excitement and nervousness. I hadn't yet moved to Calgary, thank god. Then I got a call from Toronto Legion GM, Travis Boychuk, and he couldn't of been happier to acquire me. He really felt I fit in there, and I agreed. It is a team my player agency hasn't played for, and I wanted to do that narrative proud, let's build something new. So now as far as I'm concerned I could be a Legion player for the most of my career. 

Now that the trade and drama is all over, and the season is underway, Verner and his focus change to being the best teammate and member of the Legion he can be. Reinholdt was honored with a Assistant Captaincy over the course of the season too, and now the aged rookie gets to wear an A on his shoulder. The Swedish forward spoke about legacy and honor when we asked him about wearing the A for the Legion.

Absolutely it's a big honor. I'm an Assistant Captain on the only franchise to ever three-peat in league history. The legends that have come and gone from this team, the Wingates, the Labattes, the Molholts. That is only later era stuff too, this is a notable franchise that really has paved it's way through here. And now I'm a member of it's leadership core going forward. We have great group of young guys in here too, Sokolov, Lane, Ironside, Boeser. The future is bright, and I"m honored to be wearing an A for this club going forward. Who knows what happens this season, we are still rebuilding but we will be playing for keeps too. So let's just have a fun season and see where that takes us. 

51 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Big welcome to the team! We'll likely be having our own little race for that Stolzschweiger, unless another VHLer wants to make a case for it.

That Bronze Medal was huge too. Ironside was in on that with ya. :P

Think Boeser and Reinholdt will go 1-2 but don't count out V2A as a dark horse.

And Stolzschweiger for Stolzschweiger next season!

31 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Think Boeser and Reinholdt will go 1-2 but don't count out V2A as a dark horse.

And Stolzschweiger for Stolzschweiger next season!

Definitely. But it just seems these days that it's difficult for a goalie to win the Stolz. If he puts a good season in though, you could count my vote. :P

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

Definitely. But it just seems these days that it's difficult for a goalie to win the Stolz. If he puts a good season in though, you could count my vote. :P

Well it doesn't help that these RotY goalie candidates are on rebuilding teams. Too lazy/unconcerned/sluggish to check, but how close was MT Power to winning RotY on that stacked NYA team?

7 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Well it doesn't help that these RotY goalie candidates are on rebuilding teams. Too lazy/unconcerned/sluggish to check, but how close was MT Power to winning RotY on that stacked NYA team?

MT Power's 90.6% save percentage pretty much killed his trophy hopes. He had under 2.00 GAA and almost 50 wins, but the .906% ruined it. Alexander Thrower's 120 points was far and away the winner there. Even Franchise Cornerstone only put up 72 points.

4 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

MT Power's 90.6% save percentage pretty much killed his trophy hopes. He had under 2.00 GAA and almost 50 wins, but the .906% ruined it. Alexander Thrower's 120 points was far and away the winner there. Even Franchise Cornerstone only put up 72 points.

So pretty much MT Power Moon'd got carried his way to the finals

7 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

So pretty much MT Power Moon'd got carried his way to the finals

And a Cup win. But he was great in the playoffs. But basically yes goalies pretty much have a tough time with RoTY. I did win it with Rift as goalie on 32 with a pretty pedestrian .912 save percentage but rookie skaters sucked that season.