McAllister Wins VHLM Playoff MVP

SSP-header.png

Saskatoon -- When Gabriel McAllister made the decision to sign with the Saskatoon Wild around the trade deadline last year, he hoped for maybe a little playoff success and a foundation to build for the future. What he got, though, was beyond his wildest dreams. Even facing arguably the two toughest goalies in the VHLM in Our Lady of Perpetual Motion and Vernon von Axelberry, McAllister went off in his 11 playoff games to the tune of 12 goals and 9 assists. With that, he led all players in playoff goals, and he tied teammate Bo Boeser in total points.

And at the recent VHLM Awards Ceremony, the league's GMs and commissioners decided to reward him. McAllister won the league's Skylar Rift Trophy, awarded to the minor's playoff MVP, with two-thirds of the total first place votes. The award was perhaps an unexpected one for the winger, particularly given that he won't even be eligible for the VHL draft until after this season. But he also thinks it could be a harbinger of good fortune to come.

"While I didn't necessarily expect the award, I got to say that I certainly worked hard enough for it," McAllister said on stage at the awards ceremony. "I have to thank everyone who voted for me for this award; it's truly an honor. And believe me when I say: You'll see me up here again next season, this time with an MVP and a championship trophy in my hands."