[S55] -- [S52] Austin Hickey V

Smarch

4 hours ago, punkhippie said:

Illegal raises @Will @YEAH!stlemania

What illegal raises? Here's the rule:

Any raise on a previous offer for inactives must be by a minimum of $250 000.

The only rule is a minimum of $250k, there's no maximum raise, as far as I know. At least from what I've been told from other GMs as well when I used to think that you couldn't raise it by multiple millions at a time.

I always found it weird that you can raise it as much as you want, but the first to $7M gets the player on an inactive. Plenty of times I would have just went straight up to $7M if I knew that were the case. Also, I feel like all inactives should be able to have multiple $7M offers, and should be randomized for who gets him or something.

7 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Also, I feel like all inactives should be able to have multiple $7M offers, and should be randomized for who gets him or something.

I think I know a guy who'd approve of that!

But we're going to be working on the Free Agency rules over the course of this season. It was originally the case that guys could just straight up bid 7 Million on a player, but we stopped it because it was evident that rebuilding teams would just get 3 0 TPE players, pay them seven mill and then they'd make the floor, which seemed a bit too much of an effort to being aggressively bad in an effort to get a top 2 pick. These rules that are in place (start at minimum, gradual raises) were our effort to try and combat that (and to a degree it does make it more of a hassle for GM's to try to do that) but unfortunately because they were rules that were only communicated to the people who needed to know them at the time, it's got lost over time, so we're working on a physical thing that makes it clear what teams can and cannot do regarding signing inactive FA's.

At the same time, this is also why I keep suggesting contraction, having a league with 4-5 teams (six last season!) at one time fighting for the dirt worst players is just baffling to me. 

3 minutes ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

I think I know a guy who'd approve of that!

But we're going to be working on the Free Agency rules over the course of this season. It was originally the case that guys could just straight up bid 7 Million on a player, but we stopped it because it was evident that rebuilding teams would just get 3 0 TPE players, pay them seven mill and then they'd make the floor, which seemed a bit too much of an effort to being aggressively bad in an effort to get a top 2 pick. These rules that are in place (start at minimum, gradual raises) were our effort to try and combat that (and to a degree it does make it more of a hassle for GM's to try to do that) but unfortunately because they were rules that were only communicated to the people who needed to know them at the time, it's got lost over time, so we're working on a physical thing that makes it clear what teams can and cannot do regarding signing inactive FA's.

At the same time, this is also why I keep suggesting contraction, having a league with 4-5 teams (six last season!) at one time fighting for the dirt worst players is just baffling to me. 

I mean, I'm just in FA trying to get some decent-ish players. I don't really want 30 TPE guys, even though it'll be better to get a high pick. I just want a little bit of depth and I know that no active FAs are going to sign here until the team is more developed. :lol:

Some of them it's like....I see a $2M bid, so I go and throw down on it too, and I'm thinking, "Sick, I'm in the running for this player!". Then all of a sudden someone just puts $7M, which I was also willing to do, and I'm out of it because he did it first.

Like, if someone is just upping it from $4M -> $7M or from even lower than $7M, then what's even the point of the lower bids? Might as well just have the shitty teams all get a lotto or something for those inactive $7M contracts.

Even more so, bidding in $250k-$500k raises over and over again until you get up high to $7M is basically a lotto in itself. Like, you have 2-3 guys raising it $250-$500k, and whoever hits that $7M mark first gets the player, so it's just up to chance there unless somebody wants to go straight to 7, which people have been doing. You might as well have a bidding thread on a "good" inactive, and say, hey, who wants to pay this guy $7M? Throw your name in the pot and we'll take a draw for it.

Especially considering what it's like now, and more so that it's been over the weekend. I've had to just keep refreshing the Free Agency section so I can see which of my bids get outbid so I can raise them. Like, I'm just putting a number down knowing I'm just going to outbid the next guy. It feels like an odd process.

Yep. I purposely have and enjoy having zero players on my team. It's not me tanking - it's me rebuilding. Rolling over! Trading off all the old, in with the new. Unfortunately, need to get above the cap floor and no way else really how. Either a couple huge contracts or a lot of small, shitty ones.