McAllister a Surprise USA Selection

Star-Phoenix.jpg

Saskatoon -- The Season 54 World Cup rosters have been announced other than the Mercenaries, and for Team USA, who are among the favorites in the tournament, there was one big surprise. Saskatoon Wild left winger Gabriel McAllister, who will not even be eligible to join the VHL until the Season 56 draft, has been named to the team, playing alongside VHL stars in Travis Gowecny and Brock Dragonslayer in what will presumably be the team’s second line.

For that positon, McAllister was picked over numerous players with VHL service time and that have more practice hours invested, including Vincent Adultman, AK47 and Daryl Dortch. He was also selected ahead of Wild linemate Bo Boeser. From a look at the potential roster pool, it seems GM Zimmerman wished to have another natural left winger alongside John Locke, and McAllister was the only one available.

Not that he’s complaining. Even with his relative lack of playing time historically, McAllister thinks he can keep up with the more experienced VHL players dotting World Cup rosters. “If I want a chance to prove what I can do, now is it,” McAllister said. “Team USA has put its trust in me early in my career, and now’s the chance to work hard and show them what I can do.”