America what the hell!

Beketov

• Head Moderator
9 minutes ago, Pandar said:

Fair enough.

And I can't believe that she actually got approved.  My only hope is that there's so much inertia that she can't actually institute any meaningful changes in the next 4 years.  

Well meaningful or not, even if she put in something, you wouldn't see the effects till down the road and by that time, you're fucked if something did actually happen.

1 hour ago, tfong said:

Well meaningful or not, even if she put in something, you wouldn't see the effects till down the road and by that time, you're fucked if something did actually happen.

Oh believe me, I know.  I'm not looking forward to it, no matter what happens.

On 5/5/2017 at 9:27 AM, Beketov said:

As for the may not even use: everyone will need it eventually, it's just a matter of time. People should not have to be forced to choose between bankruptcy and death which is what a system like this forces. 3 years ago my appendix decided to explode on me. I was freelance so I definitely didn't have money for any coverage and didn't have any through work. In Canada I don't need it (thank god) and only had to pay for my prescriptions out of pocket. In America that surgery, plus the week long hospital stay, would have ruined my credit for life.

Not trying to stir the pot, but speak to someone with over a quarter-million dollars in health bills before you start ranting about something you've (nor likely will ) never had to deal with.  Yet, I still pay for the best health-care I can afford because I would rather be on the right side of the road when or if something happens...  and I'm thankful that I did when I went through over a year of medical issues.  Does that limit other opportunities that were hindered due to my financial situation?  Certainly, and they will continue to.  But it's a decision I had, and will continue to make to ensure my health.  Some people in the US decide not to make the same decision...  that's their right.

On 5/5/2017 at 3:27 PM, tfong said:

I legit feel sorry for the majority of US citizens, the ones of the middle or lower class that actually need healthcare the most. They are totally getting screwed over by the people that can otherwise afford it anyways.

Economics unfortunately is reinforced less and less in this nation.

7 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

Not trying to stir the pot, but speak to someone with over a quarter-million dollars in health bills before you start ranting about something you've (nor likely will ) never had to deal with.  Yet, I still pay for the best health-care I can afford because I would rather be on the right side of the road when or if something happens...  and I'm thankful that I did when I went through over a year of medical issues.  Does that limit other opportunities that were hindered due to my financial situation?  Certainly, and they will continue to.  But it's a decision I had, and will continue to make to ensure my health.  Some people in the US decide not to make the same decision...  that's their right.

Economics unfortunately is reinforced less and less in this nation.

I thought I had a heart attack after a twelve hour night shift, ended up in ER, and was caught with out insurance...  I JUST paid that off a couple months ago.

Now at my "new" job, I'm choosing to pay more for a policy that's 100-0 after deductible(which is a tad higher too) based on this very reason. I cut back on other areas to cover the policy, but I know that IF something were to happen again, I'm covered best I can. 

I'd rather not have to wait a year (or even years) to get a non emergency medical situation taken care of as is the case a good amount in Canada. Opinion of a dual citizen and someone who will be moving to Toronto in the fall.

Edited by Kyle

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'd rather not have to wait a year (or even years) to get a non emergency medical situation taken care of as is the case a good amount in Canada. Opinion of a dual citizen and someone who will be moving to Toronto in the fall.

I've heard this is the case from multiple people now. I don't think many Americans realize that. 

6 minutes ago, Jonessee27 said:

I've heard this is the case from multiple people now. I don't think many Americans realize that. 

My Grandmother's brother (my great uncle) had cancer and it took a very long time before he got treatment and by then it was too late. My dad (full Canadian citizen but now lives in the states) tried multiple times to get him to come to the States to receive treatment and he refused. Passed away. 

It's a benefit to many, no doubt and I understand why many prefer it. But it really depends on how people feel would they rather have the option to get high end treatment right away or would they rather have it be free? I'd prefer the former due to my personal stories from Canadian healthcare (the one I just told) and if I ever need surgery say on my knee or back when I'm older I'd rather not suffer for an extended period of time and it potentially getting worse before getting it done.

Edited by Kyle

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

My Grandmother's brother (my great uncle) had cancer and it took a very long time before he got treatment and by then it was too late. My dad (full Canadian citizen but now lives in the states) tried multiple times to get him to come to the States to receive treatment and he refused. Passed away. 

It's a benefit to many, no doubt and I understand why many prefer it. But it really depends on how people feel would they rather have the option to get high end treatment right away or would they rather have it be free? I'd prefer the former due to my personal stories from Canadian healthcare (the one I just told) and if I ever need surgery say on my knee or back when I'm older I'd rather not suffer for an extended period of time and it potentially getting worse before getting it done.

Depends where you are. I honestly have heard stories like that our in Vancouver but they are very rare. I wouldn't say thats accurate of the entire countries healthcare system.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 5:47 PM, Kyle said:

I'd rather not die because I'm poor. 

On 5/17/2017 at 5:54 PM, Kyle said:

Sorry about your family. 

However this isn't an argument against universal healthcare. There's people living with cancer or a bad back etc... in the US who don't seek treatment due to cost or lack of insurance. 

Edited by Tyler

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Ok did anyone else watch Comey's testimony? I think John McCain might be actually retarded....

It's the Republican way. They will do anything to try and steer the conversation away from themselves. All they want to hear about is bloody Clinton even though it's obvious that Comey's testimony as nothing to do with it.

Checks and Balances in Government my ass. If the check and balances were working as they are supposed to then Trump would already be up for impeachment. The fact is Republicans are letting him get away with whatever he wants because they wouldn't dare do something that could harm themselves in the eyes of voters. It's clear to the entire world that Trump is a corrupt Sociopath but The House and the Senate don't dare enough to do anything about it.

1 minute ago, Beketov said:

It's the Republican way. They will do anything to try and steer the conversation away from themselves. All they want to hear about is bloody Clinton even though it's obvious that Comey's testimony as nothing to do with it.

Checks and Balances in Government my ass. If the check and balances were working as they are supposed to then Trump would already be up for impeachment. The fact is Republicans are letting him get away with whatever he wants because they wouldn't dare do something that could harm themselves in the eyes of voters. It's clear to the entire world that Trump is a corrupt Sociopath but The House and the Senate don't dare enough to do anything about it.

I tink you're giving McCain a little too much intellectual credibility. I think he's getting Alzheimer's and he's trying to use as many political words as he can remember.

To be fair there were a few republican senators who were pretty fair with their questions. 

• 3 months later...
  • Commissioner

Can't help but grave dog this old gem up to once again ask what the fuck is going on south of the border.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/09/22/catastrophic-millions-at-risk-again-as-trump-and-republicans-push-new-health-bill.html

So the last two insane attempts to remove the best thing the US healthcare system has ever seen failed; their response is then to release something even more mind-numbingly insane? Can you guys seriously not impeach Trump already and get that fucking clown out of the White House. He's so determined to get ANYTHING done that he's willing to completely destroy the country no matter how many people think he's making a mistake.

Yes, chances are high this is going to fail again but that's not the point. The point is that instead of trying to actually get shit the country needs done Trump and his group of Republican morons continue to focus on this lost cause.

Edited by Beketov

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, der meister said:

Not all Americans have aversion to Universal Healthcare. A lot of us see what the GOP does and have our fingers crossed for a 2018/2020 blue wave. 

I recognize that and applaud those of you with brains. Admittedly it's likely a vast majority. I've heard figures (admittedly I have not checked the validity) that the last bill only had 12.5% public support and yet they decided to make it worse.

All I know is the US needs that blue wave as soon as they can get it. 2020 is a long way off.

McCain came out against it today, they'd basically need both him and Rand Paul to flip to get it passed. Public opinion is fully against it as well, and it's an odd thing to be saying, but thank God for Jimmy Kimmel and his work protecting American's rights.

Anyway, 2020 is a long way off, but mid-term elections that decide key Congressional seats in November 2018 isn't. If you think Trump's stupid and ineffective now, it would be 10x better if both the House and Senate weren't controlled by people like McConnell, Ryan and Graham that use Trump's lunacy as cover for their own harmful bills. In local elections, we've seen +10 point swings for Democrats in key races, even ones they didn't win like Ossoff in Georgia. It does worry me though that the crazy is gonna be ratcheted up if those fools see the end coming.

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:03 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

McCain came out against it today, they'd basically need both him and Rand Paul to flip to get it passed. Public opinion is fully against it as well, and it's an odd thing to be saying, but thank God for Jimmy Kimmel and his work protecting American's rights.

Anyway, 2020 is a long way off, but mid-term elections that decide key Congressional seats in November 2018 isn't. If you think Trump's stupid and ineffective now, it would be 10x better if both the House and Senate weren't controlled by people like McConnell, Ryan and Graham that use Trump's lunacy as cover for their own harmful bills. In local elections, we've seen +10 point swings for Democrats in key races, even ones they didn't win like Ossoff in Georgia. It does worry me though that the crazy is gonna be ratcheted up if those fools see the end coming.

Guy I used to work with (Bob Solomon) is running for a House seat just south of me (I'm north Allegheny County PA, just above Pittsburgh, he's south Allegheny County just below Pittsburgh - the guy who held the seat resigned because he told his mistress to get an abortion while holding a stance against it - Tim Murphy if that's made any non-local news). He's an ER doc. His main issue is healthcare, and who better to judge on that than a guy who works in it?