Tagger

Image result for martin oullette

Full Name: Aackckqz Ky

Nickname: "Mr. Roll The Fuckin' Dice"

Position: Defenseman

Height: 5'11

Weight: 204 lbs

Nationality: Ukrainian

After somehow recording successful stints as a diver in Dominica and as a counselor in Bolivia, the thirty-two year old Ky made his next career choice the only way that he knew how; picking it at random. That next career he's planned? Professional hockey player in the VHL. Seeking the aid of Ron Dayne III, a former running back in the MFA/USFL and another man who randomly found his way into the VHL, Ky is hoping to become a top prospect for the Season 56 draft, but the road ahead is a very long one for a man with no real hockey experience.

Pros

Unpredictability - There are some players in hockey who are able to come with something out of nothing that you never would have expected and just make you go "wow". While Ky is more likely to make you go "what?" rather than "wow", his unpredictability has led to some surprisingly successful moments. In the VHLM tryouts and faced with no real option outside of a long-range slap-shot, Ky instead decided to detail his opposition on the benefits of taking out a timeshare agreement for a condo in Puerto Rico, which ultimately left his opponents distracted enough for one of Ky's team-mates to take the puck off his hands and score. He also has a very unique skill-set for a defenseman, as he's actually a technically solid player in the face-off, although whether he'd ever be used there in either the VHL or VHLM is another question. 

Leadership - Despite his lack of natural hockey talent, scouts came out of the VHLM tryout raving about Ky's raw leadership capabilities, saying that he rivals some of the top current VHL talent in that department. Whether he ever becomes good enough with the puck to warrant a captaincy job is a big question right now, but if he does, he's expected to be a very inspirational captain. 

Penalty Shot - The modern VHL doesn't have many great Penalty Shot takers at the minute, but if there was one thing that scouts were amazed at after the VHLM tryout, it was how composed he looked taking penalty shots as he didn't miss a single one. Scouts are putting this unexpected proficiency with the puck down to being able to do more without the threat of being hit by an opponent and they're also comparing him extremely favourably with VHL counterparts. One scout wrote "Right now, I'd say the only player in the VHL better than this kid at taking penalty shots is (Tyson) Kohler, he's that good."

Cons

Technical Proficiency - While Ky looks like he's going to thrive in situations where there are no threats of him being hit or having to make a decision, it looks like he's going to struggle with the puck in open play. His passing has been described as "erratic at best", he struggles to keep the puck under his control when having to make tighter turns on the ice and can't get a shot on target in open play to save his life. When it comes to developing these parts of his game, he really is starting at square one.

Loyalty - Having had over 10 jobs in 9 different countries prior to becoming a professional hockey player, it's fair to say that Ky is not one to stick around at any one place for long. While shouldn't be a big deal heading into the VHLM Draft, this will be a big red flag heading into the VHL Draft where many teams will be looking for a long-term solution to their problems and won't be looking for players who are done after a year of service. 

Training Levels - There's some doubts about how committed Ky is to becoming as good a player as he can be. During the three day VHLM tryout, Ky was not present at all on the second day of training which was supposed to give scouts an evaluation on his physical levels (a big cause of concern for a 32 year old rookie). When asked why he didn't attend, Ky simply said "I didn't turn up that day because that was the decision I made; it was either I turn up or I don't turn up and I decided on the latter".