The Future Build of McAllister

Chicago -- As he sits at home preparing to sign with a VHLM team, Gabriel McAllister has had some time to think. Specifically, he's put some thought into areas he particularly wants to improve in practice. And, perhaps more notably, he's given some thought into areas he doesn't want to improve.

"I don't want to be a player that hits somebody," McAllister said. "All that checking and being an enforcer and making plays from knocking people off the puck - it's not me. I'd much rather skate around guys than go through them."

In that way, it's expected that McAllister will be a playmaker, with high skating and scoring marks, according to early scouting reports. With enough effort, he likely will be in contention for the Virkkunen Trophy many years. And, in fact, it's a recent Virkkunen winner that McAllister sees as his closest VHL comparison.

"From what I've seen, I like Tom Lincoln's game a lot," McAllister said of the Season 47 forward. "He's near the top for points, he has one hit the entire season, and he's done it all in style. What's not to like?"

With that in mind, VHL scouts should probably pair McAllister with a more physical forward; those personnel decisions are far in the future, though. For now, McAllister is content getting his scoring and skating to a serviceable level before anything else.