Claimed: McAllister on His VHLM Decision

Inside Gabriel McAllister's VHLM Free Agent Choice

He's ruled out Las Vegas, but where does he go from here?

Today was a big day for Chicago’s Gabriel McAllister – he officially declared for the Season 56 Draft. But there’s a wrinkle to that, because for the next season, he will be playing in the VHLM, the VHL’s five-team minor league system.

And, because of recent changes to the VHLM, there is a new wrinkle. Past Warren agency clients could not choose their first VHLM teams, being automatically assigned to one of the league’s ten teams via a waiver system. Now though, not only are there five teams, but McAllister has his pick of the litter. As of this writing, three of the league’s five teams have reached out, and it wouldn’t be a shock to see the other two do so in due time given McAllister’s high upside through the rest of this season.

So what exactly is McAllister looking at when signing with a team? We decided to ask him, in his own words, with a (well, kind of) ranking of his potential destinations.

GRoHlFY.png 5. Las Vegas Aces

It certainly doesn’t help that the GM was (is?) a dick, particularly to one of the Warren agency’s past teammates and favorite people in Stevo. It also doesn’t help that the co-GM that has seemed to pick up the reigns publicly endorsed that behavior, not to mention him quitting on his own team at the beginning of the season. I might not have been in the league, but don’t think I haven’t seen these things, and that sort of toxic environment isn’t one I’m readily eager to step into.

But ultimately, perhaps even more, it comes down to the fact that I hate frontrunning with a passion. So I play the second line on a team that doesn’t need me and get a cheap championship; is that supposed to be fun? Where’s the challenge, the ultimate goal of building and bonding with teammates? I have no ambition to have a championship with an asterisk. I want to earn it.

:yuk: 1d. Yukon Rush

Outside of Las Vegas, I honestly see positives and negatives to signing with every other team in the VHLM. With Yukon, it would be the opportunity to explore my own potential from the very beginning. Already, due to the retirement of Fuk D. World and the inactivity of Pastrnak and Aho, I would be the team’s leading scorer from the first day, and might be better able to show potential VHL GMs what I could do.

However, despite what I said in the Las Vegas section, it’s not like I don’t want to have an opportunity to win. It does scare me to join a team at the bottom of the standings, and I’m not sure that I could be able to lift the team to a championship myself. Honestly, a lot may depend on Key Perought – if I were to join Yukon, I would need to make sure that Yukon had a goalie that could make up for any other shortcomings.

:ott: 1c. Ottawa Lynx

Joining Ottawa would be all about the people. In a vacuum and based on past VHL experience, Jardy would be the GM I’d be most excited to play for. The VHL GM that drafted my agency’s last player, Hans Wingate, is on the team. And out of any agency in the VHL, it’s actually the Jones agency that the Warren agency has the longest association with. It would be a blast to join this team and help lead fun people to victory.

But with that said, similar to perhaps Yukon, there just isn’t much in the cupboard to help me in the beginning phase of my VHLM career to lead a team to a title. In particular the goalie situation worries me – with Perought heading to Yukon, this might just be the worst goalie situation in the league. And while the team does have some established talent, it also happens to be at the same position I play, at left wing.

:ssk: 1b. Saskatoon Wild

The first ever VHLM team for the Warren agency, a return to the Wild would mean a return to the same team as the Dollar agency. And pairing myself with the future Legion star Bo Boeser, especially as I would instantly become the second-best offensive star on the team, may be an opportunity that’s too good to pass up. If there’s a team that combines winning and being a star, this is it. It also doesn’t hurt that Saskatoon holds Yukon’s first round pick, and the thought of being on the team for more than one season is appealing.

However, would me and Boeser be enough for a title? I’d argue that this team has less offensive talent than Ottawa, and perhaps even Yukon if World is allowed to unretired and come back to form. Outside of Boeser, there also isn’t anyone that the Warren agency has had much contact with previously, including the general manager, and I would be going into the situation more on a whim and a prayer (though some could argue this also could be a positive).

:osl: 1a. Oslo Storm

On its face, I think that this is the best team to take on the Aces in terms of talent. Johnny Styles is one of the best passing centers in the league, Xavier Laflamme is growing into his own as a top winger, and despite what the stats may tell you, Verner Reinholdt might just be the best pure talent in the entire VHLM. Add to that a serviceable, growing and fun teammate in Our Lady of Perpetual Motion, and Oslo would be an excellent landing spot.

But similar to the issue with Las Vegas, does Oslo really need a player like me? With Laflamme and Reinholdt established on the wings, I’m not sure I’ll be able to break through and get the playing time I desire. Sitting on the second line wouldn’t showcase my talent to VHL scouts that well, and though it’d be fun to win, I’m looking for more of a balance. Past periods of going missing at random times from the GM worries me as well, as does not actually having a contract offer from the team.

Come to da YUK, if I get my way I will stay here for my entire 8 seasons ;)

PS. beyond my issues with Bobertz the LV crew really was a good group, dont take the recent drama as an indication it wasn't.......... I mean Join YUK!