Claimed: First Game in the VHL [1/2]

Banackock

anton_karlsson_sweden_123115.jpg

Aleksei Federov celebrates after winning a gold medal at the World Juniors in Tokyo.

From the moment any person who has a passion for the game of hockey is born, they're eyes are automatically set on the big stage. Whether it be the KHL, SEL, NHL or VHL (notice how we don't put the SHL), children's eyes across the world are fixated on being able to represent the game they love on the biggest stages possible. For Aleksei Federov, this was no different for him than any other talented, young player. Thoguh Swedish media speculated that he would stay within the country to pursue a career, it's often noted by international scouts that two of the biggest leagues across the globe are the NHL and VHL. For Federov, it was a pretty simple choice.

The phone rang early one morning and next thing he knew, VHLM scouts were interested in taking him in the draft. The Brampton Blades would end up calling his name come draft time and while no championship was found, he had a fairly successful stint there. During his final season, he was put up for consideration for the top dman award. Though he is not known for his large offensive presence on the ice, he managed ot put up respectable and excelling numbers from the blue line. Through the 72 game season, Federov managed 19 goals, 74 assists and 93 points to finish 3rd on the team for scoring. On top of that, he had 94 hits and 57 shots blocked all while playing 24.5 minutes a game (average). To say the least, the kid had one hell of a year.

Felt good to play strong in my final VHLM season heading into the draft. With cut off being so strict for skill, I knew next season I would be playing somewhere in the VHL. While I would have loved to have stayed down one more season, it's a pretty big honor to make the jump so quickly and to be able to already be placed into such a strong position on an organization. Through the season, I really focused on bringing levels of my game higher - whether it be offensively or defensively. I wanted to be that shut down guy who was also able to hop in on the play and help with the goals. Sokky scored a huge amount of goals, but that's not really my department. I like to pass. I'm a skilled set up guy who can easily find someone anywhere on the ice. I like to think of myself as a leveled out two-way defender. It's something I wanted to head into the draft with.

With the 4th overall selection in the VHL entry draft, Federov found himself being called to the stage by Seattle Bears GM, Blake Campbell. While it was no surprise that Campbell called Federov's name, one can't help but think what his career may be if he joined a more skilled team right away. Would he win cups quickly? How long would it take for him to earn his stripes and be a top pairing dman? What sort of production could be expect from the young guy? Either way, a Bear he is and officially played in his first ever VHL game. During which, he helped on 2 goals (2 assists) and now has 3 points through his first 4 games of his career. 

It was a big night for me and not overly in terms of how I played or the points that I got. Obviously my nerves were pretty strong and I was excited but nervous to get out on the ice. During my interviews with Seattle's GM, Blake Campbell, he told me that I would be a huge player to the team. A key player that they would build around and ultimately, one of the faces to the franchise. I know being a defender we have lots of pressure. You're either average, shit or elite and I can tell you I don't want to be shit and I sure as hell don't want to fit in with the rest and be average. I want to climb the ranks, be known as one of the best current defenders and hopefully one of the best to ever play the game.

Time will tell, but hopefully I make a huge impact on the Bears and VHL.

Double Week 1 of 2 for Aleksei Federov

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

Federov played for Sweden? That's a strange Russian name

This is the problem I have with making 90% of my players in all my leagues Swedish. :)) 

I literally have struggled to write this week and last (bless free weeks). So take it as it is haha :P 

28 minutes ago, Banackock said:

This is the problem I have with making 90% of my players in all my leagues Swedish. :)) 

I literally have struggled to write this week and last (bless free weeks). So take it as it is haha :P 

I think you just needed a Russian photo to complete it haha