Lost Momentum - Enough is Enough

Devise

How long have I battered the horn about our pacing issues? Every season? I feel like during the grind of the regular season ever year, I bring up again and again "hey this shit is too long." And then whenever anything exciting happens in the playoffs or around that time I bring up again, "man our pacing is a problem."

This isn't about me, my teams being involved, none of that. Because I have brought it up every season regardless. We kill our momentum with pacing. Like badly. It's a simple truth. It wasn't even a week ago when this place was BOOMING. We had mock drafts, discussion, drama. And where are we now? Momentum lost. We didn't carry that mock draft theme week momentum into the draft because our pacing yet again messed it up. This isn't about me giving @JardyB10 a hard time for following the set rules either. It's about the rules. @Will has talked about increasing the length of the regular season before, and I think his suggestion of only including an extra days worth of sims included on the weekends is perfect. But we also need to increase the speed of the playoffs a bit. Not any other round either, just the finals. It makes no sense that if a Continental Cup final goes 7 games, the whole league has to wait 7 calendar days (sometimes more, because if we get a 2 am sim then basically it's 8 days) until the off-season starts. Not in a series that features the least amount of members. 

To me it's obvious. We already double sim all games in the first round, until Game 7 obviously. That is fine. We already double sim the first four games in the second round, that is fine. We should also be double simming the first four games in the finals. No series, regardless of who's featured, should take a week. It's too long. We build good momentum with a drive, with a theme week, with etc etc and consistently let it just fall. Yes of course this draft and off-season will still be active. But why kill that momentum? What do we gain from it? When people are on the board, posting a lot and engaged that is exactly the god damn time our things should be happening. And if we double simmed the first four games of the Continental Cup finals this series would of been over at the beginning of the week, when we still had a lot of that draft talk fever as well as a bunch of other things going down. 

I get it, we don't want to lose PT weeks by making pacing changes. But we really wouldn't be. Take this change for instance even just in the playoffs. Not a snigle PT would be lost. It's Thursday, we won't get a sim till Friday morning and the off-season will begin Friday. With this change the off-season would of began Monday or Tuesday. Same PT week. But I really don't think I should have to bring this up again. Is it not really that fucking clear to everyone else that our seasons and playoffs take a bit too long, especially in key spots that has the least amount of members involved? 

1 minute ago, Corco said:

I agree with continuous first four- game double-simming in all rounds. I think that would be a fair compromise; games 5/6/7 can be one per day and I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Indeed. I understand that GM's may like it if they can set lines for all the games in the playoffs, but I mean come on, they could still set them before Games 1/2 and 3/4 no different than the other rounds. And with imbalanced conferences it's not like GM's aren't already forced to do that in important semi series anyway. You'd still get to set lines for the pivotal 5/6/7 as well. I just don't really see a good reason why we can't do it. It's a win win all around imo. 

• Senior Admin

To be fair to GMs I think in the final series you could double sim the first 4 games IF neither team goes up 3-0 in the first 3 games. If they, do save game 4 for the next day and go 1 game per day from there to give time for line changes and shit. 

Also for at least the final series there really ought to be a scheduled simming time thats in prime evening time. Obviously that might be difficult for Jardy to accommodate every season and thats understandable, but when your only talking 3-5 days worth of simming at a scheduled time it may be worth it for me or Higgins to get the sim out at a better hour if necessary.  

@Higgins to be fair to Advantage, he probably thought there was a legit chance he could get swept if he wasn't able to change lines. Obviously post Game 3 it was a different story. But I doubt he'd actually taken issue if it was the rules that we double sim first 4 games provided no team goes down 3-0. But changing it as the series starts as we recognize that people are ready for the off-season he wasn't in favor of doing. Jardy wouldn't of ever done it either tbh. 

Also @Will we didn't speed up the regular season this season at all did we? I don't recall any extra sims, and we still even have the odd day of sims where a team only plays one game because of how things line up in the schedule with STHS. 

• Senior Admin
5 minutes ago, Devise said:

@Higgins to be fair to Advantage, he probably thought there was a legit chance he could get swept if he wasn't able to change lines. Obviously post Game 3 it was a different story. But I doubt he'd actually taken issue if it was the rules that we double sim first 4 games provided no team goes down 3-0. But changing it as the series starts as we recognize that people are ready for the off-season he wasn't in favor of doing. Jardy wouldn't of ever done it either tbh. 

Also @Will we didn't speed up the regular season this season at all did we? I don't recall any extra sims, and we still even have the odd day of sims where a team only plays one game because of how things line up in the schedule with STHS. 

Sorry that was just my poor phone typing, I was referring to the same thing as Higgins about the finals and STO.

12 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

me whenever @Devise complains about something

giphy.gif

:P 

I know. It's the worst part about me being me. :( Even if I see something everyone agree's with changing the way I communicate means nobody ever listens. Welcome to my life. :P 

That said though, more often than not my bullshit gets people talking and eventually someone who has the ability to capture people and make them listen will piece through my garbage and sort of eventually changes get made. :P 

• Head Moderator
4 minutes ago, Devise said:

That said though, more often than not my bullshit gets people talking and eventually someone who has the ability to capture people and make them listen will piece through my garbage and sort of eventually changes get made. :P 

Pizza for everyone!!

Just now, tfong said:

Pizza for everyone!!

I mean we have talked in the BoG about using some of the many site funds for hosting to have a league wide pizza party....

• Head Moderator
5 minutes ago, Devise said:

I mean we have talked in the BoG about using some of the many site funds for hosting to have a league wide pizza party....

See? I sorted through all the trash discussion and got to the core issue!

I agree. Although the finals and winning the continental cup is the biggest reason as to why people put time and effort into there player and earn TPE. I think if we made it too short I think it would take away winning a bit. I would say the finals and the off-season are the most exciting time to be a member and if we rushed through these things it could maybe take away from the fun of it. 

I do agree it should be games 1/2 first day and games 3/4 second day and then from there one game each day if necessary.. 

2 hours ago, Will said:

To be fair to GMs I think in the final series you could double sim the first 4 games IF neither team goes up 3-0 in the first 3 games. If they, do save game 4 for the next day and go 1 game per day from there to give time for line changes and shit. 

Also for at least the final series there really ought to be a scheduled simming time thats in prime evening time. Obviously that might be difficult for Jardy to accommodate every season and thats understandable, but when your only talking 3-5 days worth of simming at a scheduled time it may be worth it for me or Higgins to get the sim out at a better hour if necessary.  

Legit points but I can't refrain myself from laughing at the possibility of a reverse sweep

1 hour ago, Pablo said:

I agree. Although the finals and winning the continental cup is the biggest reason as to why people put time and effort into there player and earn TPE. I think if we made it too short I think it would take away winning a bit. I would say the finals and the off-season are the most exciting time to be a member and if we rushed through these things it could maybe take away from the fun of it. 

I do agree it should be games 1/2 first day and games 3/4 second day and then from there one game each day if necessary.. 

It is the most fun when you're in it, but it sucks for everyone else to wait this long.

This whole week had been super fun for me for example, but it probably sucks for Higgins, and even more for anyone who doesn't make playoffs or goes out in the quarters.

33 minutes ago, Jericho said:

It is the most fun when you're in it, but it sucks for everyone else to wait this long.

This whole week had been super fun for me for example, but it probably sucks for Higgins, and even more for anyone who doesn't make playoffs or goes out in the quarters.

Exactly, thats why we gotta find a balance.

2 hours ago, Devise said:

It legit has been brought up, no joke.

Also, I agree with @Jericho because I sold my soul to him.

21 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

Can't we do some offseason stuff concurrent with the VHL Finals?

You and I should do a Off-Season VHLM Fantasy Draft where they can put those rosters into a sim and sim the game. Sort of like a CHL Top Prospects game. What do you say?

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

You and I should do a Off-Season VHLM Fantasy Draft where they can put those rosters into a sim and sim the game. Sort of like a CHL Top Prospects game. What do you say?

I'm too broke to purchase a copy of STHS :P

6 minutes ago, punkhippie said:

I'm too broke to purchase a copy of STHS :P

We don't need to have it. You and I just do a snake draft to determine rosters and then we get @Higgins to put them in the sim, let's get the ball moving

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

We don't need to have it. You and I just do a snake draft to determine rosters and then we get @Higgins to put them in the sim, let's get the ball moving

When are you going to Calgary? I'll hit you up on PM later tonight to work out the details. And I go to bed way later than you do.