Claimed: Draft Day Dilemma

Decisions, Decisions

While I have been at the helm of the Toronto Legion for a season now, nothing has truly began for my tenure just yet. After taking the reigns from Mr. Molholt himself, it was basically a wait for the next draft. During the season, a couple of line changes were made, but they were changes to a lackluster, AI-filled team. Mostly just little tests that for the most part showed the same results, because how much is really going to change in the game when your whole team is crap?

Anyways, this off-season will truly mark my beginning as General Manager of the Toronto Legion. I have a prospect in Roman Sokolov as a defenseman, and a GM player at the center position named Bo Boeser. So I have a good defenseman for the future, and hopefully an all-star centerman as well. But, this upcoming draft I face a few decisions. Do I pick one of the great goaltenders, or even go for a superstar forward at 1st overall? I think any pick I make with the first selection would be a good one, but it will take some consideration. Or maybe, I just need an article to write and I already know who exactly I want at #1. Who's to know?

Markus King - Brampton Blades (51-16-5, 89.2SV%, 1.50GAA, 26SO)

wEA270DjT6qhxIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

King comes from a legendary player agency known for making stellar players in the VHL. Markus King will surely bring forward class and consistency, and a bonified number one goaltender for many seasons, if not his whole career in Toronto. Picking King at #1 would bring me the highest TPE earning player in the draft, and obvious goalie in the draft. King had the most wins in the VHLM, although that save percentage is an odd one. One might consider that the Blades had a lot of games with low shots, and that brings you a lot of games with a poor save percentage in the VHLM considering how many times a team shoots less than 10 times and scores once. But, one might also consider that Torstein Ironside faced the same problem, yet his save percentage is at 90.9%. All things considered, that's not much of a difference, and really, indicates nothing for the future of Markus King in the VHL.

Torstein Ironside - Yukon Rush (50-16-3, 90.9SV%, 1.54GAA, 28SO)

+3wX+88P8GAOUuvb2dtqLrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Many of the VHL's number one pick in the mock drafts, Torstein Ironside comes from the same person who now heads the Legion, myself. Ironside led the VHLM with 28 shutouts, and his save percentage was 3rd best in the league. Only 62 loss goalie Our Lady of Perpetual Motion and 41 win Chet Manley had a better save percentage. Ironside also had the best penalty shot percentage with 80% saved, which was considerably better than the rest of the VHLM goaltenders. Although Ironside comes with less TPE heading into the VHL, it's not a huge step down, and picking him would be stacking all my cards in Toronto. That would be two different players for the Legion I would be relying on myself for with consistent Point Tasks, so taking a break would not be wise for myself. Obviously, if Ironside went to another team I'd have somewhat of the same issue, but going welfare or something for a week with Ironside wouldn't impact myself. There is also the idea that it would likely be more fun to have a player on two different teams, which for a lot of people is one of the main reasons to have two players. A funny scenario would be for Ironside to play lights out in a series against my own Toronto Legion team and beat me, provided I don't draft him. Whatever the case, Ironside would also be a solid choice, and I wouldn't have to depend on another goaltender, but Kendrick is always reliable anyhow. Either King or Ironside would be a fine choice at number one.

Pablo - Ottawa Lynx (12G, 59A, 71P)

NcADlbSsSQMGzgAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

At basically a point per game pace, Pablo is not as impacting in the VHLM as other choices at forward would be at 1st overall, but the agency brings a reliable veteran presence. Picking Pablo at number one would solidify the Legion franchise with a top notch player, even with myself having recently created Bo Boeser. Plus, if I decide to draft Pablo soon I could always switch Boeser's position to winger. Connections between Toronto GM and Pablo's agency go a decade of seasons back. Travis Boychuk of the DollarAndADream Agency once played for Pablo when he was GM of the Quebec City Meute, and they had many runs at the cup, ultimately failing. But, picking Pablo here would be a great choice to get a head start in the forward department, especially with Bo Boeser locked in.

Fook Yu - Ottawa Lynx (37G, 82A, 119P)

NcADlbSsSQMGzgAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Fook Yu is the top TPE earning skater in the draft, and comes with a load of talent. Showing prowess in the VHLM, and a consistent amount of activity heading to the draft, Yu would be a solid choice for the Legion. While the agency is fairly unfamiliar with the Legion, every friendship starts somewhere, and Fook Yu would get all the opportunities he needs in Toronto. Either Fook Yu or Pablo here would be a magnificent choice for the Legion in this draft if they want to go with a future all-star forward.

No offense to @Kendrick but you'd be a dummy not to take yourself and have two of your own players.

In any other instance I'd take Kendrick (probably even if we did a league reset and everyone started at S1) first overall.. but to have the opportunity you have, as a GM that is such a huge advantage.

I love the speculation and the write-ups because it's creating some drama.. but I hope you are doing it to spark interest and not because you actually have any doubt.

26 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

The LR is gonna suffer a little bit though.

Just add @BOOM

LR should be an afterthought. With the second player project, it's basically an off-topic forum. There are no strategies or confidential talk happening in those rooms anymore. And to be honest, other than Kendrick, those other two aren't going to post more than ten times in your LR

2 hours ago, STZ said:

Just add @BOOM

LR should be an afterthought. With the second player project, it's basically an off-topic forum. There are no strategies or confidential talk happening in those rooms anymore. And to be honest, other than Kendrick, those other two aren't going to post more than ten times in your LR

Lmao so true but whats not to say I just dont like the New York locker room????

Also lol way to just throw me in there for the word count @DollarAndADream

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, Kendrick said:

Also keep in mind that King will be be sole focus seeing as Kohler retires in the next 2 seasons and my time will be invested in where I get drafted.

Lets be a draft package!

7 hours ago, STZ said:

Just add @BOOM

Honest question

What kind of strategy was there even?

6 hours ago, punkhippie said:

Honest question

What kind of strategy was there even?

More like trade talks, FA targets, draft rankings.. That shit is gone. No chance there is LR pre-scouting going on. I remember when I was GM we had a thread specifically for ranking upcoming draft class.

3 hours ago, STZ said:

More like trade talks, FA targets, draft rankings.. That shit is gone. No chance there is LR pre-scouting going on. I remember when I was GM we had a thread specifically for ranking upcoming draft class.

Makes sense. So familiar with the VHL here yet so unfamiliar. Never made it to the big leagues while not being banned lol.

On 3/29/2017 at 4:09 AM, punkhippie said:

Makes sense. So familiar with the VHL here yet so unfamiliar. Never made it to the big leagues while not being banned lol.

You provided us with memes for years to come though!

:autism::anderson::superautism:

On 2017-03-29 at 0:11 AM, STZ said:

makes me sad