Replace Most Sportsmanlike and Top Leader

Let's face it. One if just ridiculous and the other is a popularity contest. I remember the days before Phil and Dollar won it all the time. It's just disgusting to see that the award is only won by two people now. No offense to them or anything, but it is nice to see someone else with that award. Since neither of these really matter though, replace them with like top defensive defender as suggested and replace it with something else that matters.

Tukio Trophy - Team with the fewest goals against, awarded to the goalies on the team. Show some love to the back ups of the league.

Although I bet a lot of those would just win the Shaw as well so it's just doubling down on the awards for the same goalie.

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Tukio Trophy - Team with the fewest goals against, awarded to the goalies on the team. Show some love to the back ups of the league.

Although I bet a lot of those would just win the Shaw as well so it's just doubling down on the awards for the same goalie.

Not necessarily. A lot of the time the argument gets made that S% is more important for the Shaw than GAA (since it's viewed as more of a team stat) so it's definitely possible that a goalie could have the top GAA and still not be the best choice for the Shaw.

Edited by Beketov

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

William M. Jennings Trophy equivalent: Once we get backups this will all make sense.

Exactly! Teammates can held share an award, backups can feel like they have a bigger role, and we get a new trophy to replace some of the ones that honestly don't make much sense anymore.

Plus, goalies only have 1 award that's all their own vs. At least 5 for skaters.

Just now, Beketov said:

Exactly! Teammates can held share an award, backups can feel like they have a bigger role, and we get a new trophy to replace some of the ones that honestly don't make much sense anymore.

Plus, goalies only have 1 award that's all their own vs. At least 5 for skaters.

Yes, plus the influx of goalies might feel important even if they are in the game 8-20 games a year. Come to think of it, if the case happens where each team has a human backup, we actually might want to look at sporting out stats from era's because then starting goalie won't have as many wins because of the decrease in starts.

16 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I mean goalies have a higher chance of winning MVP, Playoff MVP and MOP when compared to defense historically. Defense gets 1 award, borderline 2 if you include top assists.

I've always supported Most Sportsmanlike because we put so much value on hits when we don't even know if they are always the positive stat we reflect. That and seeing guys who jack up discipline still put 100+ point seasons can be worth some reward.

That said I'm not against a William Jennings equivalent as discussed here. Obviously if we have enough back up goalies making another award for goalies is certainly a good idea. 

1 minute ago, Higgins said:

I mean goalies have a higher chance of winning MVP, Playoff MVP and MOP when compared to defense historically. Defense gets 1 award, borderline 2 if you include top assists.

Haha this too though. Higgins can probably attest that there is a group of us in the BoG and HOF voting who feel defenders get shit on and shit on and shit on. They are easily more underrepresented than goalies, but I mean it's a forward dominated league so what can we expect. 

• Commissioner
11 minutes ago, Devise said:

Haha this too though. Higgins can probably attest that there is a group of us in the BoG and HOF voting who feel defenders get shit on and shit on and shit on. They are easily more underrepresented than goalies, but I mean it's a forward dominated league so what can we expect. 

To be fair the proposal I'm laying forth offers another award specifically for d-men as well so it's not as if I'm shitting on them in favour of goalies.