Salary Cap Increase for Backup Goalies

I think we all know by now that back up goalies are a thing in our league and because of the influx of goalies we may end up having to raise the salary cap. With the 2nd Player system coming into effect, some might not feel like their second player (if a goalie) really needs full time minutes at any point in their career. Thus, some teams may be looking to grab a backup goalie. Shoutout to Claudio Martucci and Rock Star (@boulder) for paving the way for the likes of @Salt's goalie and various others climbing the VHLM ladder into the vHL. I'm not talking a big increase but something along the likes of $1,000,000 to persuade teams to maybe bring up their 2nd goalie to play those 8 games that could potential mean 16 points on their season. Who knows it could be the difference between a Victory Cup or even a playoff position.

• Senior Admin

Yeah there is a lot of up and coming goalies, I'd only be wary of increasing the cap with so many empty rosters. What if instead of just raising it there was a cap credit where if a team has 2 human goalies they can deduct an amount (1M or something like you said) from their salaries when calculating their cap hit? So the extra cap space would only apply to goalies 

• Commissioner
8 minutes ago, Will said:

Yeah there is a lot of up and coming goalies, I'd only be wary of increasing the cap with so many empty rosters. What if instead of just raising it there was a cap credit where if a team has 2 human goalies they can deduct an amount (1M or something like you said) from their salaries when calculating their cap hit? So the extra cap space would only apply to goalies 

That could be a good way to do it. We definitely need something I think since most teams are either right at the floor (no issue) or butting up against the cap already. Without any kind of increase we end up with all the goalies coming into the market going to teams that are rebuilding which may not be great for their activity levels that will already be iffy enough being backups. This credit gives enough cap space for the teams to bring actual backups in but doesn't open up the possibility for teams to keep 1 starter and load up their roster even more with extra cap space.

Yeah I have to agree with @Will here. As someone with a very competitive team, I can tell you right now if you gave me an extra 1 Mill in blanket cap space I wouldn't be using it on another goalie. Teams like NY, Stockholm and Helsinki have loaded up on players and their punishment is to deal with the cap. If we want to encourage a situation where teams have two human goalies great, and I think we should. But as mentioned the cap room should only be usable on back up goalies, otherwise we are just likely to see the competitors use that to steal more players and parity won't really get that much better in that situation. 

• Senior Admin
1 minute ago, hedgehog337 said:

I heard it's gonna be increased from 32M since second-player thing, is it right?

Nah, we basically just said we'd look at it every season and see if the 2 players has made an increase necessary. So far it hasn't

4 hours ago, Will said:

I like this but maybe it should be 2M for a back up goalie since CPU's have 300 TPE so if a back up had 300+ TPE he'd be worth more then 1M.