Edition 322

STZ

The thing that concerns me with speeding the regular season is that it shortens career lengths. If a season takes a month rather than 2 we're effectively halving the number of PT weeks and therefore cutting our TPE in half. I'd be a bit more in favour of tweaking this if we hadn't just messed with the scale, but I'm concerned it would push things a little too far in that direction.

We do have the occasional lull during the regular season, but you need a good mix of up and down time. Having playoffs come around once every two months makes them a little more special.

• Senior Admin
1 hour ago, Jericho said:

The thing that concerns me with speeding the regular season is that it shortens career lengths. If a season takes a month rather than 2 we're effectively halving the number of PT weeks and therefore cutting our TPE in half. I'd be a bit more in favour of tweaking this if we hadn't just messed with the scale, but I'm concerned it would push things a little too far in that direction.

We do have the occasional lull during the regular season, but you need a good mix of up and down time. Having playoffs come around once every two months makes them a little more special.

Yeah I mean like I said in my article (not sure if your talking about devises or me or both, didn't see he talked about it too until now), I think halving the season would be unreasonable. If anything, under what I suggested about simming an extra set of games a few days a week, you would likely trim somewhere around a week and a few days off the season. Regular season is about a month and 1-2 weeks, despite the typo in my article saying otherwise. :P 

I do find it hard to justify versus taking other measures to fix the real problems though. But then again I think some extra games on weekends might be something people would appreciate whether they care about the season length or not. 

4 hours ago, Will said:

Yeah I mean like I said in my article (not sure if your talking about devises or me or both, didn't see he talked about it too until now), I think halving the season would be unreasonable. If anything, under what I suggested about simming an extra set of games a few days a week, you would likely trim somewhere around a week and a few days off the season. Regular season is about a month and 1-2 weeks, despite the typo in my article saying otherwise. :P 

I do find it hard to justify versus taking other measures to fix the real problems though. But then again I think some extra games on weekends might be something people would appreciate whether they care about the season length or not. 

I think our combined efforts probably show it's a topic that hasn't fallen by the wayside, which I think is all that matters. It's something we have our eyes on, but I think the important thing as you outline is to make sure we do it in a way that makes sense for the VHL. 

Your idea to give us an extra couple of days of sims on weekends I think is a good one. I understand that TPE earning will go down a little bit, but I don't think it'll be by that much. Remember we still do have off-seasons, World Cups, and other things going on that will make the time inbetween seasons a bit longer. There is no way we are going to run into a situation where we have a regular season, playoffs, and an off-season in a months time. But having regular season alone wrapped up in a month I think is crucial. Over a month to wait for regular season results, especially when in some seasons the battles aren't as close is just too long. We don't need to adjust the pace of our playoff sim, I think our double sim first round, double sime first 4 games of second round strategy works fine. We all know the battles in the second round and of course the finals are what matter, and once we get deep in the second and for all the finals it's one game per day. I still think we give it that "special" that Kyle was talking about. And if we cut down the regular season to only take a month, it means within a month and a 1/2 we should be hitting off-season instead of just getting ready for playoffs. 

Also just to fuel @BobertZ discussion, I have been in favor of increasing the update scale by 1 or 2 TPE since before we started looking at Update Scale changes. Even if we only increased it by 1, as you said, I think it makes a difference. 

But I think newer members will be more inclined to go harder under this update scale. But that debate has been had a thousand times over in that giant thread. 

41 minutes ago, BobertZ said:

Potentially shortening the season to a month? with the scale increase and that maybe it would be a really stupid idea. I think I have the topic of my next in your face

Agreed.

Shortening the season (shortening careers and time to update and build a player), while also increasing the update scale. 

IMO, increase the career length to 10 seasons.

28 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Agreed.

Shortening the season (shortening careers and time to update and build a player), while also increasing the update scale. 

IMO, increase the career length to 10 seasons.

Agreed, if they shorten the season by half they must increase the career length. Because then there will be a severe drop off in talent

1 hour ago, BobertZ said:

Potentially shortening the season to a month? with the scale increase and that maybe it would be a really stupid idea. I think I have the topic of my next in your face

@BobertZ is the legendary Robbie Zimmers?!

What about modifying when regression kicks in or even just the % rates. What the fuck do I know? I just disliked seeing my players turn 25 or 26 in the prime of their lives and they suddenly become disabled and need nursing care. Its why I retired Koenig early. I understand regression but doesn't mean I like it.

Edited by BOOM

I'm all for increasing career length to ten seasons @Banackock and @BobertZ it's something else that has had a lot of discussion. But more of the league was in favor of not doing that the last time a poll about it was created. However it received a lot of support in the BoG even before the Update Scale changes. Post, more were in favor. 

But I don't think shortening regular seasons should be considered something super harmful. I think people actually under estimate how long the regular season alone runs. Season 52 started on November 29th. The last sim of the regular season happened on January 7th. That is 40 days. 10 days over a month just to finish the regular season. We then had a two day layoff before the playoffs started, and the playoffs ran from January 9th to the 19th. 10 days. Season 53 officially began February 2nd. That is exactly a two week layover, which included a World Cup off-season. 

Not every regular season, playoffs and off-season run to those exact numbers, but generally we hit targets around those figures. That is 65 days per entire season, from start to playoffs to off-season to wrap up to start of next season. So if we to just use that as an average and say on average an entire season runs about 65 days. Over the course of an eight season career there would be 520 days. That is well over a year, almost a year and a half as a full career length for a player. That is about 74 weeks, so 74 opportunities at a PT. If we were to even decrease the regular season by say 10 days, so that it runs within that month time frame, we would effectively cut 80 days off the length of a career. Which is 11 PT weeks. Which I think is probably a bit much, your talking about the capacity for well nearly 100 TPE there. That said, remember all this data is rough and only taken from just Season 52. Which did also happen over X-Mas. 

But I was more arguing that we need to have this information somewhere. I feel it only benefits new members for them to see what type of schedule we try to keep other than just "two games worth of sims a day." As I stated in my mag article, giving dates isn't needed but even just a rough official answer as to "regular season usually runs x weeks" or something to that effect. When talking with new members throughout the years the length of the regular season and our lack of official stance on it were things I heard some complaints about. Nothing like close the door, but considering our rention right it's not something I think we should just ignore. 

That said if you were to increase seasons to 10, and increase the weekly TPE cap by 1, I think you offset some of the potential lost TPE by making the seasons go faster. And of course for new members they don't see those effects at all, since it's only existing members who had the capacity to earn more career TPE who would complain about it getting cut off. 

Healthy discussion to have though. 

2 minutes ago, Devise said:

I'm all for increasing career length to ten seasons @Banackock and @BobertZ it's something else that has had a lot of discussion. But more of the league was in favor of not doing that the last time a poll about it was created. However it received a lot of support in the BoG even before the Update Scale changes. Post, more were in favor. 

But I don't think shortening regular seasons should be considered something super harmful. I think people actually under estimate how long the regular season alone runs. Season 52 started on November 29th. The last sim of the regular season happened on January 7th. That is 40 days. 10 days over a month just to finish the regular season. We then had a two day layoff before the playoffs started, and the playoffs ran from January 9th to the 19th. 10 days. Season 53 officially began February 2nd. That is exactly a two week layover, which included a World Cup off-season. 

Not every regular season, playoffs and off-season run to those exact numbers, but generally we hit targets around those figures. That is 65 days per entire season, from start to playoffs to off-season to wrap up to start of next season. So if we to just use that as an average and say on average an entire season runs about 65 days. Over the course of an eight season career there would be 520 days. That is well over a year, almost a year and a half as a full career length for a player. That is about 74 weeks, so 74 opportunities at a PT. If we were to even decrease the regular season by say 10 days, so that it runs within that month time frame, we would effectively cut 80 days off the length of a career. Which is 11 PT weeks. Which I think is probably a bit much, your talking about the capacity for well nearly 100 TPE there. That said, remember all this data is rough and only taken from just Season 52. Which did also happen over X-Mas. 

But I was more arguing that we need to have this information somewhere. I feel it only benefits new members for them to see what type of schedule we try to keep other than just "two games worth of sims a day." As I stated in my mag article, giving dates isn't needed but even just a rough official answer as to "regular season usually runs x weeks" or something to that effect. When talking with new members throughout the years the length of the regular season and our lack of official stance on it were things I heard some complaints about. Nothing like close the door, but considering our rention right it's not something I think we should just ignore. 

That said if you were to increase seasons to 10, and increase the weekly TPE cap by 1, I think you offset some of the potential lost TPE by making the seasons go faster. And of course for new members they don't see those effects at all, since it's only existing members who had the capacity to earn more career TPE who would complain about it getting cut off. 

Healthy discussion to have though. 

Wait for my Edition 323 article. Shortening the season should not be considered

On 3/9/2017 at 7:33 PM, BobertZ said:

Wait for my Edition 323 article. Shortening the season should not be considered

If we find ways to offset the losses though it isn't so bad. My biggest issue was that I didn't see us making up the TPE loss anywhere. If we were to control for those factors it wouldn't be the end of the world.

When we make decisions in the BoG we don't just do them willy-nilly. The Update Scale change had 4 pages of dialogue in the BoG thread alone, and almost half the posts were Sterling voting against it and giving his reasoning, with the other half debating back from a few people. Every aspect was considered, and though we didn't end up changing his mind, I think he'd agree that we at least put some thought into it. We made charts to find the best scale, took a look at where it was hitting players and when (and who). We considered all of the variables.

I'm actually ok with cutting the season by a week or so if we up career length. I want to see data for it first before I sign off, but it's definitely on the table I feel like.