Game of Thrones

Victor

29 minutes ago, Tyler said:

if the brotherhood without banners don't end up in power in the end I'm gonna be so upset

Everyone is clearly going to die from the white walkers. Also, the only characters who are going to survive will be those with crazy ass magic, so probably one or two of the brotherhood without banners. My prediction is some overly large giant deus ex machinae scene that unites all the magical and mystical forces in one boat and then basically resets and reshapes the whole land in some stupid big thing. 

As much as I like Thrones people forget it's a fantasy book. The dues ex machinae finish is just begging to happen. :P 

22 minutes ago, Devise said:

Everyone is clearly going to die from the white walkers. Also, the only characters who are going to survive will be those with crazy ass magic, so probably one or two of the brotherhood without banners. My prediction is some overly large giant deus ex machinae scene that unites all the magical and mystical forces in one boat and then basically resets and reshapes the whole land in some stupid big thing. 

As much as I like Thrones people forget it's a fantasy book. The dues ex machinae finish is just begging to happen. :P 

Most likely. I think everyone dying would be a fitting end, shows how useless much of our bickering on earth is, solid climate change analogy and all that.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Victor said:

BERIC DONDARRION'S FLAMING SWORD

I've been going through Binge Mode (highly recommended as a recap for book readers) while walking the dog and they've made some Lannisters-as-Sith comparisons. So when I saw that I laughed and thought "well, that Jedi reference is a bit on the nose."

But yeah, a kick ass trailer right there. Loved that they used the Cersei trial music too.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2017 at 0:10 AM, boubabi said:

sooo, how was the premiere ??

Yeah not a lot of activity here, figured with the premiere may see a pick up. 

I thought it was a perfectly fine and serviceable premiere. But it certainly didn't have a single wow factor that I think some might of been hyped for. The open scene was very effective, and I think it wanted to be, or was positioned as the wow factor. At least in the writers eyes. Sadly I felt it was all too predictable, I called the scene maybe 30 seconds into it. It was just so obvious what was going to happen. 

The way they ended the episode as well even though I thought it was a very effective scene. I mean she finally returns home it's very dramatic and effective. But the way they end it with her just saying "Shall We Begin." It just stamped home this idea that the first episode was a trailer episode for the rest of the season. That just kind of rubbed me the wrong way considering all the other marketing things going on with this. Lower episode count the last few seasons, talk about how everything will be more focused now the bigger scale stuff happening. So you'd assume with all that every episode should really matter of have that impact. With the exception of a couple of scenes there was nothing in the premiere that the audience really needed to completely see. I guess it just didn't feel like they were using their limited run time for this season as effectively as it could have been. 

That said the scene with Sam in Grey Town was pretty great, and pertinent. It got a little disgusting too when they ran with the gag shot for probably a bit too long, but such is the way of thrones. :P 

I will say lastly though there is an odd vibe to me and maybe it's just me but this season already kind of feels...missing something. I'm starting to wonder if enough popularity and too much attention has pretty much lead to this idea that lots of people have a really good idea of what may happen. It's something people often forget with these longer story arcs, at a certain point especially since we can't just binge watch everything from start to finish if we are following it live, you start to over analyze to the point that very little could happen that will shock or surprise you. Which makes certain elements of the series feel probably too familiar, or become too predictable. You often have a different reaction watching a series start to finish with zero spoilers in a series of extended sittings, versus the long drawn out approach. I mean people have been theorizing about how this show will end since Season 1, so for 7+ years now. And since we had books giving us some idea of where things were going up until a certain point, you had even more years of theorizing. Plus then expectation too. We'll see how Thrones handles itself but I still think firmly that it is going to be up there with series like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, and a host of others...that people love to pieces so much of those shows/stories, until of course the ending. The old adage of the question is always more interesting than the answer is simply true so often enough, and with how the pieces look laid out I think the journey to the end of Thrones will very much be it's strength. Not the fantasy dues ex machinae wrap up we are forced to get due to too many variables and crazy factors and loose threads. 

Tl:dr version:

Sam scene grossest thing ever. Was happy it was not during my dinner

Ed Sheeran survived at least 1 episode

Opening scene could have been guessed by my kids and they cant even talk yet

Homecoming was pretty cleaned up for something abandoned for that long

Sansa still annoying as hell, hate her poor acting skills.

That about it for me.

Certainly an overall stronger ep this week than the last imo. Not just feeling like a teaser, although still does to some degree.

The end scene was badass, and seeing all the bad actresses get murdered felt good. But that totally felt like a reaction to how everyone hated the Sand Snakes. Not that I'm complaining mind you, but still. Just cleaning up a mess imo. And while I think Euron is gone into great villain territory, better than even Ramsay was right now for me, Theons story regresses. 

The Jorah stuff was pretty great, but we really are starting to see convenience creep up again and again. The type of convenience that could lead us all the way down the LOTR style rabbit hole of all the "main" characters meeting up and super teaming against the Walkers. 

Anyway I'm still not going to hate too much. We had some strong scenes this ep, Varys stole the show with his speech probably best point of the whole ep. But Jon also carries the room in the North well. I still think the Sansa stuff has moved far too slowly, and I was really hoping Jon was going to straight up kill Littlefinger so that the slow play of whatever his god damn purpose is whether he's going to corrupt Sansa or rape her or whatever his god damn strategy is to finally unfold. Either that or just end him. 

The callback scene with Ayra and the wolf too was also good. 

• 2 weeks later...