Game of Thrones

Victor

My personal preference of book orders

Storm of Swords

Feast for Crows

Dance with Dragons

Clash of Kings

Game of Thrones

I think most people put Dragons ahead of Crows, but I really loved reading about Jon and Jamie the most

I really like Boardwalk Empire but the person promoting it as better than Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones is on some serious crack bender.  The last season of Boardwalk #4 was pretty shitty and they have decided to end the show after the 5th season this fall.  Breaking bad was amazing for the detail, development, and story with a smaller cast and believably realistic but Game of Thrones is my favorite.  GOT doesn't hit the same level of Breaking Bad with each character but the world is so much larger, the detail they do hit with so many characters, and the general medieval knights/magic/fantasy that they bring gives it the edge IMO.  Also those who seem to prefer Breaking Bad but also like GOT might have a different opinion after watching the show a few times then reading the books.  A lot of the time I have spoken to people they just miss too much stuff from one time through on game of thrones the books cover a lot more things missed in the show and also the books are easier to understand/get through when you have the background from the show.

I really like Boardwalk Empire but the person promoting it as better than Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones is on some serious crack bender.  The last season of Boardwalk #4 was pretty shitty and they have decided to end the show after the 5th season this fall.  Breaking bad was amazing for the detail, development, and story with a smaller cast and believably realistic but Game of Thrones is my favorite.  GOT doesn't hit the same level of Breaking Bad with each character but the world is so much larger, the detail they do hit with so many characters, and the general medieval knights/magic/fantasy that they bring gives it the edge IMO.  Also those who seem to prefer Breaking Bad but also like GOT might have a different opinion after watching the show a few times then reading the books.  A lot of the time I have spoken to people they just miss too much stuff from one time through on game of thrones the books cover a lot more things missed in the show and also the books are easier to understand/get through when you have the background from the show.

Well it's just my personal preference I guess. Breaking Bad was definitely the best fast paced, heart pumping show. Boardwalk Empire has a patience about it that I just love and it's changed the way I look at TV shows in general. I also think it has the best instances of character development and while Season 4 was the weakest, they kinda had to do that because closed off so much with Season 3. They're ending it in Season 5 because the writers wanted to, not because it got cancelled or anything. I just prefer Boardwalk Empire for its patient ability to tell a larger scale story and the visuals.

I started reading the books (well, book) yesterday. Don't know yet how far I'll go. Do I want to spoil season 4?

There are always some differences (i.e. Dany's Season 2 storyline is pretty different from Book 2). I think it's really just a matter of preference. I read the whole series after Season 1, and hasn't diminished my show enjoyment at all. And for some stuff like

the red wedding

it was fun to watch with people who hadn't read the books when you knew what was going to happen and they didn't.