Game of Thrones

Victor

Seeing so many salty reactions to how high fantasy the show is now is super funny to me. Not here really just in general. It's like they were ignoring all the slow building magic plots the whole time and now that we are in the full swing of it people just furious that magic trumps all.

Also I just realized Bran can just fucking warg into a dragon and go north to save Jon and Co. 

19 hours ago, Devise said:

Seeing so many salty reactions to how high fantasy the show is now is super funny to me. Not here really just in general. It's like they were ignoring all the slow building magic plots the whole time and now that we are in the full swing of it people just furious that magic trumps all.

Also I just realized Bran can just fucking warg into a dragon and go north to save Jon and Co. 

Fantasy elements are fine but having three unstoppable dragons takes away from the intruige of it but I dont see people saying it's not "good" anymore just less mysterious or less intruiging. People who liked the political aspect of it more than anything are the ones who think it's jumped the shark a bit and I can respect that. I always prefered a scene with LF or Varys to a scene with Danerys or Jon, so I guess that's just personal preference.

of course they can still make it work but idk if I trust d&d to make it work without Martin's writing.

Edited by Tyler

4 hours ago, Tyler said:

Fantasy elements are fine but having three unstoppable dragons takes away from the intruige of it but I dont see people saying it's not "good" anymore just less mysterious or less intruiging. People who liked the political aspect of it more than anything are the ones who think it's jumped the shark a bit and I can respect that. I always prefered a scene with LF or Varys to a scene with Danerys or Jon, so I guess that's just personal preference.

of course they can still make it work but idk if I trust d&d to make it work without Martin's writing.

But that is why all of this is so poetic and completely in line with the show. 

Up until now what has been the standard rule of thumb? The show gives you characters to invest in, who are engaged in plot points for a season or so. Then, the smartest most manipulating characters shock everyone and make many of those heavily invested characters either die or there plot points irrelevant. See Ned, Rob, Oberyn, Joffre, Stannnis, Renly, the list goes on. 

Yet all the while it was the cunning consistently surviving, winning if you will. Then completely disconnected from that we had several sub plots about magic, dragons, faceless assassin's, ice zombies, resurrected warriors. 

Now what are we seeing that the high fantasy hit it's peak build? All the characters the show invested in for seasons upon seasons I referenced winning earlier, dying or their plots becoming irrelevant. The only difference is it's the magic making them irrelevant but it's still just as poetic and ultimately if you have seriously been paying attention that is at the heart of everything this show has been about. 

The poetic thing plays into the title of the books too A Song of Ice and Fire. Furthermore your silly if you think Dany is being presented as the saviour character. The marketing of the show made people think it's all about the Throne. But only the first book was subtitled that. 

Danys plot is about her fighting herself and trying not to be like her father the mad king. She tries to carry herself as better yet whenever things don't go her way what happens? Inferno. She won't survive the show. She'll probably go out in some typical poetic fashion. 

Jon is the saviour. He embodies the entire essence of the shows lore. Remember A Song of Ice and Fire? Let's see her a man born a Stark and a Targareyen, aka cold North and. Dragon house, who served on the icy wall and was resurrected by the Lord of Light and fire to boot? Yeah I'm pretty sure he's the saviour. 

Also, he won't rule anyway. The Throne isn't important in the end. Once Jon learns of his heritage and claim to Danys he will completely renounce it and talk about how Westeros needs leaders not rulers. 

Besides who in their right mind would want to inherit that useless chair anymore anyways? Only power hungry monarchs. Westeros has been at war for years the rulers in Kings Landing have been ruling by fear for ages now, they are in severe debt, and Dany just burned most of their food supply for long winter. If anything screams internal civil war King's Landing does. Add to that a soon to be proven undead army marching on the masses. Good keeping people from just fleeing where Dany came from all those seasons ago or to Dorne or basically off this doomed war ridden continent.

2 minutes ago, Devise said:

But that is why all of this is so poetic and completely in line with the show. 

Up until now what has been the standard rule of thumb? The show gives you characters to invest in, who are engaged in plot points for a season or so. Then, the smartest most manipulating characters shock everyone and make many of those heavily invested characters either die or there plot points irrelevant. See Ned, Rob, Oberyn, Joffre, Stannnis, Renly, the list goes on. 

Yet all the while it was the cunning consistently surviving, winning if you will. Then completely disconnected from that we had several sub plots about magic, dragons, faceless assassin's, ice zombies, resurrected warriors. 

Now what are we seeing that the high fantasy hit it's peak build? All the characters the show invested in for seasons upon seasons I referenced winning earlier, dying or their plots becoming irrelevant. The only difference is it's the magic making them irrelevant but it's still just as poetic and ultimately if you have seriously been paying attention that is at the heart of everything this show has been about. 

The poetic thing plays into the title of the books too A Song of Ice and Fire. Furthermore your silly if you think Dany is being presented as the saviour character. The marketing of the show made people think it's all about the Throne. But only the first book was subtitled that. 

Danys plot is about her fighting herself and trying not to be like her father the mad king. She tries to carry herself as better yet whenever things don't go her way what happens? Inferno. She won't survive the show. She'll probably go out in some typical poetic fashion. 

Jon is the saviour. He embodies the entire essence of the shows lore. Remember A Song of Ice and Fire? Let's see her a man born a Stark and a Targareyen, aka cold North and. Dragon house, who served on the icy wall and was resurrected by the Lord of Light and fire to boot? Yeah I'm pretty sure he's the saviour. 

Also, he won't rule anyway. The Throne isn't important in the end. Once Jon learns of his heritage and claim to Danys he will completely renounce it and talk about how Westeros needs leaders not rulers. 

Besides who in their right mind would want to inherit that useless chair anymore anyways? Only power hungry monarchs. Westeros has been at war for years the rulers in Kings Landing have been ruling by fear for ages now, they are in severe debt, and Dany just burned most of their food supply for long winter. If anything screams internal civil war King's Landing does. Add to that a soon to be proven undead army marching on the masses. Good keeping people from just fleeing where Dany came from all those seasons ago or to Dorne or basically off this doomed war ridden continent.

some people prefer intruige and the political aspects to the fantasy it's really just that simple

also the writing has taken a hit since they stopped having Martin's direct texts to work with.

2 minutes ago, Tyler said:

some people prefer intruige and the political aspects to the fantasy it's really just that simple

also the writing has taken a hit since they stopped having Martin's direct texts to work with.

The books will have more elements of other stuff but it's not like the show runners made it more fantasy than its supposed to be. Martin was building to the fantasy elements from the get go. Hell the books have far more fantasy elements that the show runners ignored or didn't include. 

I'm not saying people don't have a right to not enjoy the fantasy. Be my guest. But don't claim it's some surprise shift. As I said it's all about the poetic irony it always has been and Martin with both the books and the show had been laying the obvious ground work for what we are getting now for a while. It was absolutely obvious once long winter came and magic was full gear that it would completely alter the rules to the typical politics and tactics we are witnessing. The show runners shouldn't get all the flack when the actual reason a lot of connecting scenes are now inferred because the business reality is HBO has seriously huge costs if this show. Last I checked it was in the range of 10+ million per episode. The show runners didn't cut this season to 7 and next to 6, HBO did. And that isn't a shocker either the network has a history of high production cost shows being cut it out right cancelled. 

Ultimately the show runners are doing the best they can to hit all the beats to connect to the ending that Martin has told them about. I get that people like the slower scenes and character building, I do too. 

However we had seasons upon seasons of that build, so I'm okay with them using that build to carry us into the super hero team up levels of set pieces we are at now.

Just now, eaglesfan036 said:

no spoilers!

Well ill give you an synopsis if you choose to below.

Spoiler

Im not a dick head I wouldn't do that to you

41 minutes ago, Victor said:

:yeahthat:

Not sure enough happened to warrant an episode of build-up and then an almost entire episode of events in a 7-episode season.

I agree. And normally I'm completely fine with jet packing but holy shit in E6 it was so bad.

I have seen tonights episode finally, watched the leak. There are a few things that plot hole wise seemed a little silly, but in general it was pretty much what I was expecting to happen and I'm for the most part fine with it. Still building towards end game stuff for the final season clearly. 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:51 PM, Fire Hakstol said:

Overrated episode. Could have predicted most of it.

most of what has happeend in the last 2-3 seasons has been predictable. Kind of a side effect of having the texts the previous seasons were based on laying around for 6 years lol.

2 minutes ago, Tyler said:

most of what has happeend in the last 2-3 seasons has been predictable. Kind of a side effect of having the texts the previous seasons were based on laying around for 6 years lol.

Plus people often use predictable too mean bad. Which don't get me wrong the tension that can be created by the unknown is useful. However I've also seen just as many examples of things focusing so hard on trying to he unpredictable they forget key elements, like the characters.

In this case I'm okay with predictable mostly because I bought into and have enjoyed the characters and the slow build arcs surrounding the main characters now. Specifically the ones getting saddled with predictability. Like earnestly Jon may be my fav character and that became the case for me a long while ago. Seeing his pivotal nature to the story pay off, predictable or not feels good to me. 

The other aspect that will hurt Thrones too people is that so much of the show now feels like fan theories being confirmed in some regard or the other. 

That is just a reality of something reaching such a big cultural zeitgeist. We study it wide spread for too long that the likelihood that what actually happens being predicted is high. 

It was indeed predictable, but I agree that wasn't what hurt this episode. And before I elaborate, I have to say this episode was fucking awesome. Not the best of all time, but it was amazing, and if you feel otherwise you're lying to yourself.

The teleporting may not have been that bad, depending how long they were standing on that island. It was at least two days. Gendry running back to the Wall could have been ~6 hours, I'm assuming it would take a raven a day or two to get to Dragonstone, and dragons flying to the Wall probably ~12 hours. I think all of those numbers are reasonable. I can accept that those guys hung out for 3 days slowly freezing and starving to death.

The only thing that made me roll my eyes this episode was the Deus Ex Machinas. Dany showing up at the last minute was indeed predictable, and convenient. The Benjen bit was just completely unnecessary. Just jump on the fucking dragon Jon, you had so much time. They really didn't NEED to have that last round of fake outs for Jon. "Oh he's drowning!....just kidding! But he's fucked now, look at all those zombies!....sike! Coldhands to the rescue!" Yes, it added some tension for Dany, but whatever, they really could have skipped that bit and saved on the extra layers of silliness. Or at least had Rhaegal be the ex machina, not Benjen out of nowhere.

Anyway, insane actions aside, that was probably one of the best episodes of the series as far as satisfying character interaction goes. The Hound and Tormund stole the show obviously, but Jon and Dany and Beric and Jorah were all excellent. Jorah and Thoros was great. Gendry and the Hound was great. It was all fantastic, the whole episode could have just been those 7 just shooting the shit and I would have been thoroughly enthralled.

Also finally fucking undead bears. This episode was off the walls guys, don't trouble to deny otherwise!

Shit's happening so fast this season. Storylines being phased out with people dying, people seeing each other that haven't before, or in a long time. Things just happening everywhere.

It seems like BS that they "only have enough for another 13-14 episodes", which is why they said they cut it short to 7 and 6 episodes left.

But, they've been great episodes and it's an expensive show to make, with lots of casting commitments, etc etc etc so I'm not surprised.