Toronto Legion Jersey Retirement

Molholt

05173de.png

Toronto Legion Jersey Retirement

It's easy to take a look at an award cabinet, or a trophy case or a stat sheet and judge the value of a player. It's easy to lose key elements in the shuffle and even overlook great players. When you think about the Toronto Legion dynasty that won three straight Continental Cups, its usually Hans Wingate or Zach Parechkin that come to mind. Just as important and there just as long, the Toronto Legion front office and fans know that none of those teams would've been successful or possible without another man. That's why today I am proud to announce that the Legion will hang World B. Free's #99 from the rafters!

----------

Sometimes you just know how to win, and World B. Free started that right away in the VHLM. As a member of the Moscow Red Wolves, Free helped them to the Prime Minister Cup for best regular season record and then went one step further, helping them win the Founder's Cup as VHLM Champions. Free could've stayed down another season and went for another run at that level of competition, but he had already conquered it - so he asked to be called up to the big leagues. He joined the Toronto Legion in S46. 

Over his career, Free proved valuable to Toronto in a number of ways. He was a key cog in building the type of team I envisioned. I set out to make Toronto a desirable team for outsiders, with a plethora of players and locker room leaders that others would want to interact with. Free is the perfect example of a great player that truly boosts your team's character and personality. He's a joy to have in the locker room and to have on your side during a game. Free stayed pretty consistent throughout his career, anchoring our defense from the first and second line, whatever was required of him. He typically kept a lot of shots off net by sacrificing his body to block them. He made hits on the opposition and kept everyone in check. He was a consistent scorer, never leading the team but always providing the type of offense we needed from the blue line. He was adaptable, playing with a wide range of fellow defenseman over the years and succeeding with them all. He was also open to helping the team in any way possible, even being open to moving positions if we ever needed him to. Free helped turn Toronto around and led us both on and off the ice to three straight Continental Cups and a fourth finals appearance. He fought valiantly each and every night to make sure Toronto was coming out on top.

He was there when we were down and he was there when we were at the top of the world and his attitude never changed either way - he was positive, funny and kept us all honest. He's the perfect teammate and made my job as a GM easy. Having multiple players that you can count on to go into battle with you, stay loyal to you and the team and who will sacrifice themselves for the good of the team makes life so much easier as a GM in the VHL. I couldn't have done it without World B. Free. I'm proud to have GM'd Free and I'm proud today to hang his number from the rafters for the rest of Toronto's history. Congratulations and thank you Free, you'll always be a member of the Legion.

----------

Free.png

----------

World B. Free | Defenseman | Toronto Legion

504 GP | 49G | 348A | 397P | 1,292H | 902SB

S48 Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy - NA Conference Champions (TOR)
S49 Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy - NA Conference Champions (TOR)
S50 Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy - NA Conference Champions (TOR)
S51 Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy - NA Conference Champions (TOR)
S48 Victory Cup - Regular Season Champions (TOR)
S50 Victory Cup - Regular Season Champions (TOR)
S48 Continental Cup - VHL Champions (TOR)
S49 Continental Cup - VHL Champions (TOR)
S50 Continental Cup - VHL Champions (TOR)

EgNfAHY.gif

I didn't expect this one tbh, a bit caught off guard.

Thank you @Molholt. It was a pleasure to serve for you, I couldn't have asked for a better GM or a better team to be drafted to. We made history happen. A great team experience makes up for at least 50% of any sim league experience.

Edited by stevo

congrats @stevo

but 

Sometimes you just know how to win, and World B. Free started that right away in the VHLM. As a member of the Moscow Red Wolves, Free helped them to the Prime Minister Cup for best regular season record and then went one step further, helping them win the Founder's Cup as VHLM Champions. Free could've stayed down another season and went for another run at that level of competition, but he had already conquered it - so he asked to be called up to the big leagues. He joined the Toronto Legion in S46. :(

Oh I see how it is @Molholt Always gotta one up us fellow GM's don't you? First the Threepeat, and now you retire two jersey's in the same day and they get their own separate threads? :P 

Way to go though @stevo. I was so happy to retire a jersey for you in Cologne and now you have another one going up there. Great to see B Free continue to be another example of building good effective players that make impacts on rosters even if you don't earn as much as some of the whores. :cheers: