VHL Recruitment

Banackock

Over the last little while we've sat back and watched numerous great, quality and active members leave the VHL. Some got tired of the site, some got too busy and some have simply over stayed their welcome. Over the same period of time, we've welcomed a lot less fewer members who have remained active around the boards, on the update pages and simply put.. in the VHL! I'm unsure about all of you, but losing members faster than we are gaining is not a good thing and with all the good quality members leaving - they need to be replaced. If this is not done, unfortunately there will come a day (and at this rate it won't be too long) that the VHL will sadly close the doors and be nothing more than a memory to all those who were apart of it and an empty, inactive forum to those who stumble upon it in the future.

Now, I love the VHL. I love coming on and seeing all the different personalities coming together to enjoy something we all have in common. We either all like hockey, love the sim or the community and the people that are within it. This site offers something very, very few leagues around the web do and even while there are other sites, very few compete with the VHL. The VHL, when compared to the other bigger, more known player sim league the SHL, is much more relaxed, with less drama, yet fewer people. However, I community is strong, loyal and much more enjoyable due to those facts and so many more. Whether we like each other, agree on lots or whatever the case, we're seriously like a family. You don't have to like the person, but each day we log onto our accounts and join each and every other person on here, interact with them and somehow affect them and their lives. 

I took this recruitment role for a couple reasons. The first being that I want to help the VHL and deep down I feel as though I have some good ideas. Unfortunately with recruiting, just because you have good ideas doesn't mean you're going to bring in anyone or anything. You put hours into and sometimes get fuck all out of it - but here I am still trying week after week. Secondly? For me. I love the VHL. It's a great hobby, way to kill time throughout the afternoon and evenings and brings me happiness to my life. I love hockey, I love simulation hockey and I always had the dream of making it big. As stupid as it sounds, this is the closest I'll get and I'm fucking fine with that. Lastly, it's for you guys. If we don't see recruits coming in here at a good amount, there will come the day that the VHL closes the doors, shuts of the light and says good bye like so many of our amazing, quality and top members have done.

I've thought of ideas from posting advertisements on Kijijji on the hockey sections, to advertising to a specific group and countries on Facebook (though, it is sort of pricey), to making countless accounts on hockey forums throughout the entire web and posting our message and messaging new members on the SHL to come over and give this site a try (I've in fact just done another round of that). 

I have a couple ideas let in my sleeve, but I want to get the community talking and see what other ideas are out there. It's great and all that @Will trusted myself and at the time Eagles to take reigns and attempt to recruit, but at the end of the day, it's not just our site that we enjoy. Everyone is a huge part of it and if recruitment doesn't starting happening, the VHL is a fire that is slowly fading a burning out.  I'm also curious what the thoughts are from the BOG and @Higgins and @Will on bringing back a seasonal recruitment drive. We could offer prices to individuals and ONLY individuals. It's not hard. If you have friends or online acquaintances, bring them aboard. If you know of a site or are apart of a site (hockey forum, any type of game or anything) - what's the harm in quickly asking around?

Possibly as a price - 1-2 TPE per a recruit with the following prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd?

1st - 7 BONUS tpe

2nd - 5 BONUS tpe

3rd - 3 BONUS tpe

Make a multi, you're DQ from all prize.

Thoughts and ideas guys? It's time to come together, save the VHL from sinking and really make the VHL the best simulation league on the web once again :cheers:  

We've gone through a bunch of different stuff in the BoG, and I'm glad you're bringing it up on the public forum. We need to keep trying, even if it doesn't succeed as much as we want it to. Try, try again.

I'll try to get another Reddit thing up maybe next weekend? We'll see.

16 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

We've gone through a bunch of different stuff in the BoG, and I'm glad you're bringing it up on the public forum. We need to keep trying, even if it doesn't succeed as much as we want it to. Try, try again.

I'll try to get another Reddit thing up maybe next weekend? We'll see.

If you need any help, let me know. I'd love to get some new members and fresh faces up in here!

7 hours ago, Banackock said:

If you need any help, let me know. I'd love to get some new members and fresh faces up in here!

Usually it just involves me asking a mod from one of the sections on Reddit, like /r/FantasyHockey like I did before, and then making a post about it here on the VHL when I put it up. Tag as many people as I can remember to go and upvote/comment for 1 TPE or 2 TPE or something.

Seems to be a common theme with leagues alike. Even then it's a gamble on whether the member enjoys a laid back league where theres hardly any work involved or a strict pay out plan to proceed with your players career. In the end, a member usually finds one site and invests thier time there. I found SHL in Sept, 2015, then GOMHL in March, 2016 which I've taken to be somewhat of a "home site" because I GM. It's a constant battle of activity and growth but when sites are connected, it's a give or take or battle of interest in my opinion. 

Edited by Rowe89

4 hours ago, Rowe89 said:

Seems to be a common theme with leagues alike. Even then it's a gamble on whether the member enjoys a laid back league where theres hardly any work involved or a strict pay out plan to proceed with your players career. In the end, a member usually finds one site and invests thier time there. I found SHL in Sept, 2015, then GOMHL in March, 2016 which I've taken to be somewhat of a "home site" because I GM. It's a constant battle of activity and growth but when sites are connected, it's a give or take or battle of interest in my opinion. 

Exactly what it's like for me.

VHL was my first one, and it's my favourite, possibly because it was the first.

SHL is my secondary, although I still earned a lot of TPE in my early days there. It also helps being on Calgary who seem to always be in contention.

GOMHL was my third, but it's 8 TPE for a fucking activity check so it's not hard to just go make a good player there and check around.

Then I have SBA, which I keep trying to stay active as to not feel like a dick for having high expectations as a player builder.

4 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Exactly what it's like for me.

VHL was my first one, and it's my favourite, possibly because it was the first.

SHL is my secondary, although I still earned a lot of TPE in my early days there. It also helps being on Calgary who seem to always be in contention.

GOMHL was my third, but it's 8 TPE for a fucking activity check so it's not hard to just go make a good player there and check around.

Then I have SBA, which I keep trying to stay active as to not feel like a dick for having high expectations as a player builder.

After you mentioned VHL, I figured I'd give it a shot and see why people talk about it. I love hockey so why not.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll probably be putting up an ad in /r/FantasyHockey on Reddit soon. I've asked permission to do it again there, as I've done it before.

I think the best time to go through with it would probably be a weekend, so maybe next weekend? Since I'd need to make a thread, and try to get lots of us to upvote/comment on it.

3 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

I'll probably be putting up an ad in /r/FantasyHockey on Reddit soon. I've asked permission to do it again there, as I've done it before.

I think the best time to go through with it would probably be a weekend, so maybe next weekend? Since I'd need to make a thread, and try to get lots of us to upvote/comment on it.

This coming week I'll be looking at new things to tackle so if anyone has ideas, let me know :) 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I basically just forgot about the Reddit ad thing I was going to do in /r/FantasyHockey. Either I can throw it up tomorrow in the afternoon, or just postpone it until next weekend.

I want to try and get a time where the VHL site is most active, so that all the people that I try to tag, and others try to tag, will see it.